Any ideas?? Could it be the membraine....

the baron

I have a 1997 986 and I swapped out the wrecked roof for a lovely new red one with glass heated window, on the passanger side under the carpet it was extremely wet and presumed this was from the other roof leaking but I cleared out all the drain channels and it dried out, as it lives in the garage.

However I was out in an extremely bad downpour a few weeks ago and noticed it was damp again on the passanger side.....

So to clarify i have cleared out the drain chanels front and back and it has a new roof, could it be the polystyrene under the clam? Is this a big job to do, not heard of this being an issue so any other ideas as to were the leak could be coming from, door cards and bottoms seem to be dry

So to clarify it only seems to get wet on very very heavy downpours and only on the passanger side and it seems to be damp just behind the seat under the carpet.

Water on passenger side not good news due to ECU under passenger seat, whole world of pain if that gets wet...

The clamshell lining easy to check - with the roof half down check the membrane with a torch, may have been punctured by a stray roof arm. Can be fixed with some black outdoor sealant stuff rather thsn change the membrane / lining.

Also check the bottom carpet on the door, where it curls up underneath the bottom of the door. Could be that the door membrane has failed & will need replacing. If so, it will be letting water in from the bottom of the door.

If possible take out passenger seat & raise carpet to dry out, quite thick sound deadening in these cars & it harbours moisture if you have a leak.

Good luck.

Check where the drainage outlet pipes meet the under clamshell foam membrane. Both mine were lose. My guess is when cleaning the pipes they are pushed downwards and slowly loosen. A leak could then develop around that join.

A hard top doesn't necessarily solve the issue as I think water can still get into the rear clamshell area.

Archived