981 GTS Sold

RBD914 v2

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

As regards PDK, that will be an interesting transition....albeit one which I am looking forward to!

I was sceptical about PDK but having lived with it for a year I doubt I would buy a manual - never thought I'd say that but the PDK is really really good !

1 minute ago, onedesi said:

I was sceptical about PDK but having lived with it for a year I doubt I would buy a manual - never thought I'd say that but the PDK is really really good !

Having driven our M140i Auto for the past few weeks I'm liking the auto box more and more!

Looking forward to experiencing the PDK.....!

On 9/18/2017 at 9:33 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

Give that man a cigar!

Well done Withy!

Its a low mileage 987S Black Edition.

Why the dark side? Well obviously firstly its black! Secondly not many people go from a 981 to a 987. Finally it's a PDK version! I've extolled the virtues of manual gearboxes in sportscars, but after having so much fun driving our Auto M140i with flappy paddles - I've seen the light!

Heres the link...stunning isn't she?

http://paragongb.com/cars/porsche-boxster-s-black-edition-for-sale-lh11afx

Thats lovely, nice choice.

Collected the Black Edition 987S today. Sad to see the GTS go, as I get attached to my cars and it was awesome. However I have to say that the 987 looks so mean and moody with all that black stuff going on. Whilst I am aware that it is only natural to justify a purchase decision such as mine, a short test drive of the 987 gave me the following initial and hopefully impartial impressions:-

1. PDK is rather fun and addictive! Allows me to concentrate on steering rather than changing gear. Also much easier on my left knee joint in traffic!

2. The 987 is much more raw and visceral than the 981. Having said that, the 981 is a more refined drive, but definitely softer and perhaps edging towards trying to appeal to former drivers of Mercs, Beemers and Audis who expect a bit of luxury in their cars.

3. The 987 steering is quicker and has more feel, whilst the handling is excellent and more edgy than the 981, the overall effect being that the car feels more alive in your hands.

I will find out more about the car in my 450 mile drive home tomorrow, but so far I am impressed!

More feedback to follow!

A standard step for pretty much all sports cars I feel (other than Golf GTI mk4, Ferrari Testarossa...); witness how most will say the 987 is more refined than the rawer 986, and we do have a couple of members who stepped back to a 986 for that reason. (I won't comment on the 718, as far as I'm concerned that's just the 981.2...)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forwards to hearing more in the 987 section B)

PDK is one thing my next car will have....

To me, your new purchase seems well justified.  Black edition will always be highly desired..... And with the spec your car has, what more can a person need or want to be a very very happy fellow 

Craig

On 18 September 2017 at 9:43 PM, Loz987 said:

Superb car! 

@john t will be proud! His car is "uncatchable" ??

can't wait to see you out in it. We can have a Lakeland run in October perhaps? @CliveH and I are due a re-visit...

congrats on your winter beater. ?

Still up for a Lakeland / Scottish Borders run in October Loz?

7 hours ago, craigo-craigy said:

Looking forwards to hearing more in the 987 section B)

PDK is one thing my next car will have....

To me, your new purchase seems well justified.  Black edition will always be highly desired..... And with the spec your car has, what more can a person need or want to be a very very happy fellow 

Craig

Thanks Craig,

Yep I'm a very happy fellow and the car is getting regular use, over 600 miles driven already.

Really impressed with PDK, I'm definitely a converted manual shifter!

Already posted in 987 section and will post some photos there after my run out today.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 8:06 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

Test drove both but  ended up buying am M140i as our daily driver instead and keeping the GTS.

Now the GTS is going, I wanted an open topped sports car to replace it, but a cheaper one that I could run all year round without fear of trashing its value!

You could do worse than a 987 Gen 1 or Gen 2, S model, if you use the car and run the mileage up, then anything will depreciate.

996 cars are becoming good investments if you can get over how ugly they are, also Targo models of the 997 will hold their values well, the 911 just doesn't look as good as a convertible as the boxster IMO.

Just now, steveyvuk said:

You could do worse than a 987 Gen 1 or Gen 2, S model, if you use the car and run the mileage up, then anything will depreciate.

996 cars are becoming good investments if you can get over how ugly they are, also Targo models of the 997 will hold their values well, the 911 just doesn't look as good as a convertible as the boxster IMO.

Hmm, should have read to the end of the post, sorry!

Archived