Will the 718 be the last Boxster?

topradio

They'll keep going. The Boxster Ian a great entry car and keeps the sports car ethos alive and well for the brand. It's crucial to its success. 

Granted the price is creeping up, but so is every car. All part of inflation. And the bits that become standard over time (cd player, air con etc) is always going up, so you can economise on options if you really wanted to. 

:)

My thinking is the Cayman becomes the the car for the aspirational 911 owner (it is now the base model) The Boxster is devloped as an expensive 2 seat GT drop top. But what would I know of developing a worldwide marketing stratagy for luxery performance cars, good game though :thumbsup_still:

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread with a smirk. 718 sales account for 10% of Porsche production behind Macan (41.5%) and Cayenne (30%?). I think that's fair enough.

Porsche have since the late 70s a three-sports car lineup - 928, 911 and 924 and variants. The 2000 Boxster was really just a 924 replacement whereas the Panamera is the 'new' 928 albeit decades late.

Don't forget that Porsche were in the doldrums before the Boxster came along and returned the company to profits. The same profits helped to fund the Cayenne (and after that the Macan) which turned Porsche from a very low volume manufacturer to a low volume manufacturer at premium prices.

The F4 engine won't be going away. It takes millions and millions to develop a new power plant and we can expect to see it around for probably 20 years in its various guises. I see the lineup as continuing with the sports cars having numbers (I'll bet the Cayman and Boxster names will be dropped), the 7-range will be F4s, the 9-range will be F6s and the volume throughput will be SUVs. Interesting to note that the new sport turismo Panny is like a deflated Macan in looks therefore completing a full on Porsche lineup.

It's all academic anyway as EVs will be the main areas for development.

On 03/10/2017 at 10:11 AM, Menoporsche said:

Sales vs cost to build vs profits.

The MX5 and then the Boxster showed there is definitely a market for a 2-seater open top.

My only concern is the way the base price is walking upwards, they will be pricing themselves out of the market at some point. Not sure how they're pitching it as entry level vs luxury product. If it becomes as unobtainable as a 911, people will just ignore it and go straight for the 911.

For the brand generally, most of the profits are now coming from the 4x4s.

Totally agree with everything said there. It's getting to the price point where people will just look at 911s or other brands instead. They need to offer the 6 cylinder in the same car as Jaguar now offer a smaller 4 cylinder in theirs to cater for everyone. It's too niche now and not desirable enough with the engine it has.

Archived