side air intake grills don't match

Sancho

I've had my Boxster S for nearly four years now and only today noticed that the nearside one is different to the offside one. The nearside one has a fluted leading edge which sits a bit proud of the body work. The offside one has no fluted leading edge and sits completely flush with the body. I originally thought someone had pulled the nearside one out and then jammed it back in wrongly. I even went to Portsmouth OPC to see if they could refit it correctly. But their mechanic hadn't noticed this before and we went over to check another 986 on the forecourt. This had exactly the same arrangement with different grills on each side. So apparently this is normal. Why they are different I can't fathom. Anyone else noticed this on their 986? Or know why they are different?

It's a bit trivial but it did intrigue me.

I noticed this as soon as I got my car and was also thinking along the lines that it had been incorrectly fitted or replaced with the wrong type. 

It turns out that as the n/s is the intake vent, the fluted edge is supposed to help deflect rain away from being drawn in. 

The o/s vent is an outlet to help with cooling.

Yes, this change was brought in around MY2000; previously the vents had been the same on both sides. I first noticed it at the launch event for the 986S at Reading,  as it was different to the 1998 986 I already owned then (although I think it had already by then made it to production base models). I asked one of the Porsche staff about it as I thought it was a glitch, but they had to go away and find the answer. Sazzy is correct that the two vents serve different purposes - so Porsche optimised the airflow and the extra lip is to achieve that.

Thanks for that. Very interesting. I tend to worry about these little things so it is good to know everything okay. 

@Sancho next time you are back home straight after a run, place your hand down by each vent you will feel the heat streaming out the offside one and virtually nothing from the nearside! Are you aware your 986 has cupholders btw? ?

58 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

NS = air in to engine

OS = air out of engine bay

Cant say I’d noticed that they were different, but it makes sense!

when I did the de-snorkel on mine I reattached the vent twice as I couldn't get it flush ? a quick Google stopped me going mad

Thanks you all friends. This forum is brilliant as there are so many members who know so much! Thanks especially to Topbox for the heads up on cup holders. My cup runneth over!

I just got round to washing my car today, first time; and thought that one stuck out further. I was going to add it to my list of little things to go back and do. No need now.

Thanks!!!! ?

Thanks you all friends. This forum is brilliant as there are so many members who know so much! Thanks especially to Topbox for the heads up on cup holders. My cup runneth over!

Archived