PCM3 987.2 Software and Maps Update - Group Buy?

rowbos

All, following on from a recent thread and my own thoughts on updating the PCM3 software and maps on my 987.2 I have kicked off some requests for pricing to undertake this work at a number of  OPCs.

So far I have requested a cost from Bournemouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Chester, Edinburgh, Exeter, Guildford, Reading, Solihul, Swindon, Tewkesbury, Wolverhampton.  I will report back when I get some costs back.

I have seen talk of a cost to upgrade on other forums fairly recently of £150 which I don't think is too horrendous and I like the idea of this update being performed by an OPC - so if anything goes wrong it's on them to resolve.

If anyone who is interested could add their details below - including the current version of PCM3 installed, once I have some OPC cost input we can start to look at options for a possible group buy ( I'm not sure if any OPC will go for this - but at the very least we will understand which centres offer this update and at what cost).

I displayed my PCM version as follows...

> Press the Info button

> Press the Option button

> Select 'Set PCM System' on the touch screen

> Select 'Display PCM' on the touch screen

> Select 'System Version' on the touch screen

@rowbos = Steve = Version 2.2

@RBD914 v2 = Rob = Version ???

@Pickles = ??? = Version ???

The Porsche main dealership in Guildford have just informed me my system is running on the original software: 1.14 

And the newest revised version is 2.44

He told me they have had cars in where the system has been corrupted due to unofficial updates 

59 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The Porsche main dealership in Guildford have just informed me my system is running on the original software: 1.14 

And the newest revised version is 2.44

He told me they have had cars in where the system has been corrupted due to unofficial updates 

I can't believe how much inconsistent information I have had so far.  I have had a different cost from each - ranging so far from around £300 to nearly £500 (I have just gone back with the line - 'A colleague has recently had his PCM3 maps and software upgraded as an inclusive £150 Porsche upgrade deal.' to see where that gets me at this stage).

Also version numbers coming back to me are all over the place - I specifically asked - 1) What is the latest version of PCM3 software available on a 987.2 Boxster? and 2) What is the release date of the latest maps for PCM3 associated with this software update?

Further details to be added to the thread as responses feed back to me.

2 hours ago, T24RES said:

Thanks

T24RES - PCM 3.1 Ver 3.41

Are you trying to throw a spanner in my 987.2 works with your fancy 981 PCM3.1?  :) 

Let me get to the best point I get to with any OPC regarding cost and whether they will offer any kind of group upgrade and then I will add in a request for cost on PCM 3.1...

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

Are you trying to throw a spanner in my 987.2 works with your fancy 981 PCM3.1?  :) 

Let me get to the best point I get to with any OPC regarding cost and whether they will offer any kind of group upgrade and then I will add in a request for cost on PCM 3.1...

My bad ?, just read latest pcm3. And thought that sounds like a plan ?

Didn't even notice I was on the dark side ?

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

7 character postcode yep... as long as we are talking PCM3 - I dont know what previous versions support...

Awesome, I just need a 987.2 now ?

The MAP update for PCM3.0 (987.2) and PCM3.1 (981) is the same. 

The operating system software (firmware) updates are slightly different.  TTBOMK the latest PCM3.0 firmware is 2.24, and the latest PCM3.1 firmware is 4.76.

Bear in mind that the latest maps are 04.2015.  I don't suppose a dealer would know if a new update is due, but it might be worth asking the question,

22 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

The MAP update for PCM3.0 (987.2) and PCM3.1 (981) is the same. 

The operating system software (firmware) updates are slightly different.  TTBOMK the latest PCM3.0 firmware is 2.24, and the latest PCM3.1 firmware is 4.75.

Bear in mind that the latest maps are 04.2015.  I don't suppose a dealer would know if a new update is due, but it might be worth asking the question,

Good point thanks.  It makes sense that they update every couple of years I guess. 

Not much luck so far in achieving any kind of bargain basement pricing here chaps!

I am still waiting for some costs to come back, but so far £319 is the cheapest option I have been offered.  I have pushed back and said I know the £150 upgrade deal has been used in the last 12 months so we will see how that goes.

No one claims to know when the next map release date will be...

Personally for 2015 maps I am not going to spend £319.  I would spend £150 as the lack of 7 digit postcode is irritating.  Given the last map release date I should think Porsche will be looking to release an update in the next 12 months surely - so it might still be worth waiting for now unless I get a couple of OPCs falling over themselves to offer me a special deal?

21 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Not much luck so far in achieving any kind of bargain basement pricing here chaps!

I am still waiting for some costs to come back, but so far £319 is the cheapest option I have been offered.  I have pushed back and said I know the £150 upgrade deal has been used in the last 12 months so we will see how that goes.

No one claims to know when the next map release date will be...

Personally for 2015 maps I am not going to spend £319.  I would spend £150 as the lack of 7 digit postcode is irritating.  Given the last map release date I should think Porsche will be looking to release an update in the next 12 months surely - so it might still be worth waiting for now unless I get a couple of OPCs falling over themselves to offer me a special deal?

Thank you Rowbos for spending your time researching all that it's really appreciated and I agree with you. I wouldn't want to spend over £300.00 for software that hasn't been revised and updated since 2015. Like buying last month's newspaper. 

Thanks once again. 

Latest update:

No joy on a group buy discount from any OPC (surprise surprise).

The best offer after many emails to and from is £260 from Exeter which is actually my closest OPC.  It's likely to take a while to get the updates done so I may just go for it and see if they will give me something decent as a loaner for the day and just bite the bullet.  Much as I hate the thought of paying £260 for the update, the software feature list updates and inclusion of MY2016 maps (as they describe it) are attractive...

I might try and cheekily get PCGB discount on top when I collect as this was not mentioned by Exeter but was by another OPC...

Anyway that's the baseline if anyone else wants to get an update done - Exeter will do for £260 inc vat and apologies that there were no group discounts forthcoming from anywhere!

If anyone else managed to find a better current option let me know before I go for it!?

You wouldn't wait another 6-12 months for new maps?

Sorry it didn't work out but thanks for your efforts. Would you like to post up which OPC quoted which price? If ?Sheffield said 280 it's not as good as Exeter but still those Oop North would save more than that in fuel by not driving down...

I am having a new PCM 3 unit fitted tomorrow under warranty as the nav part was not working. It will be interesting to see what software version it is loaded with. Previous post has said version 2.44 is the latest, is that what you was advised from OPC Exeter. Thanks 

17 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

You wouldn't wait another 6-12 months for new maps?

Sorry it didn't work out but thanks for your efforts. Would you like to post up which OPC quoted which price? If ?Sheffield said 280 it's not as good as Exeter but still those Oop North would save more than that in fuel by not driving down...

I'm too impatient :) 

And no one can tell me if there will be an update in 6-12 months... If it does happen I might have a moan and see if they will do anything as a good will gesture...

So where I got a response (some have not responded I have realised - so I will chase them again - Solihul/Edinburgh didn't get back to me) I had these prices...

Bournemouth = £400

Chester = £329

Exeter = £260

Guildford = £360

Reading = £319

Swindon (Dick Lovett) = £450

Wolverhampton = £314

Some of the OPCs I listed at the top are part of a group so I have only listed one member of the group.

If you can beat my £260 anyone then put a post on this thread!?

53 minutes ago, Tubzilla said:

I am having a new PCM 3 unit fitted tomorrow under warranty as the nav part was not working. It will be interesting to see what software version it is loaded with. Previous post has said version 2.44 is the latest, is that what you was advised from OPC Exeter. Thanks 

The latest release for PCM 3.0 is 2.24 - I have had this confirmed by a few sources...  It would be worth asking for this and the latest map data if you can whilst they are swapping it out?

Archived