986S W212YER, R13PSB, S2DPF, J80JHP and W27DES

stew72

13 minutes ago, stew72 said:

I'd like to trace previous owners to see if I can discover any history and potentially any previous bodgery although I suspect I already know which owner is responsible for that.

You could try filling in the DVLA form for a history request.  I did this for my last 987 and got a huge stack of registration changes, previous owners etc. You have to carefully note that this is to enhance your history file as an enthusiast and that you do not intend to pursue any action against previous owners etc. 

The main thing is to use the right wording about your reason for wanting the information.

Take a look here...  

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

Ah. Maybe this is not possible anymore - just found this...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1700543

Still worth a try, 10 mins to fill in the form with a £5 cheque...

I was going to do the same for my new Black Edition as I got a huge file of paperwork back previously...

Its worth a shot for a fiver, worked for me earlier in the year and I likewise got a stack of paperwork, photocopy of every v5 wth every previous owners full name & address, every certificate of private plate or registration change, quite comprehensive and great for £5. I can fully appreciate the data protection legal restrictions to why this may stop happening. But on the other hand, if you are he cars current registered keeper it’s not like you’ve googled a car and are hunting for the address to nick it from. 

9 hours ago, rowbos said:

You could try filling in the DVLA form for a history request.  I did this for my last 987 and got a huge stack of registration changes, previous owners etc. You have to carefully note that this is to enhance your history file as an enthusiast and that you do not intend to pursue any action against previous owners etc. 

The main thing is to use the right wording about your reason for wanting the information.

Take a look here...  

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

Ah. Maybe this is not possible anymore - just found this...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1700543

Still worth a try, 10 mins to fill in the form with a £5 cheque...

I was going to do the same for my new Black Edition as I got a huge file of paperwork back previously...

6 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Its worth a shot for a fiver, worked for me earlier in the year and I likewise got a stack of paperwork, photocopy of every v5 wth every previous owners full name & address, every certificate of private plate or registration change, quite comprehensive and great for £5. I can fully appreciate the data protection legal restrictions to why this may stop happening. But on the other hand, if you are he cars current registered keeper it’s not like you’ve googled a car and are hunting for the address to nick it from. 

Chaps, would really like to know exactly what you put on your request for this information.... I did it about a year ago & all I got back was a single sided sheet of A4 with the names & addresses of previous owners on. Most dissappointing I thought, especially as Most of this information had been written in the front of the service book (apart from dates of ownership changes)

I've read that some people managed to get copies of the previous v5's etc but I got jack shyate!

27 minutes ago, Boxstercol said:

Chaps, would really like to know exactly what you put on your request for this information.... I did it about a year ago & all I got back was a single sided sheet of A4 with the names & addresses of previous owners on. Most dissappointing I thought, especially as Most of this information had been written in the front of the service book (apart from dates of ownership changes)

I've read that some people managed to get copies of the previous v5's etc but I got jack shyate!

I cant remember exactly but it was along the lines of wanting to build and maintain a comprehensive history file going back as far as possible to keep with my car as a hobbyist/enthusiast, I just tried to sound as geeky as possibly and I got a big fat envelope back.  Not so sure it will work now given the recent changes I noted above, but has to be worth a few minutes of your time to try?  Keep a note of what you say exactly and let us know how you get on?

I’ve just tried this with the DVLA a couple of weeks ago. I said I wanted to build a full history and provenance about the car for showing and display purposes. Request declined no ‘reasonable cause’ :thumbsdown_still:

7 minutes ago, CarlM said:

I’ve just tried this with the DVLA a couple of weeks ago. I said I wanted to build a full history and provenance about the car for showing and display purposes. Request declined no ‘reasonable cause’ :thumbsdown_still:

Mmm it worked for me but that was last year on my last 987.  It seems they have clamped right down on this.   That’s a shame I was going to do the same for my new (to me) car.  

I cant remember my exact wording but it was along the lines of “i would like to obtain the ownership and dvla history of my vehicle to compliment the service and history file I already have”.

I certainly got more than a single side of a4 back!

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

Mmm it worked for me but that was last year on my last 987.  It seems they have clamped right down on this.   That’s a shame I was going to do the same for my new (to me) car.  

I can appeal apparently! I've managed to piece most of mine together from the MOT's, ( I've got them all), personal registration numbers and service/repair invoices but I'm missing one. Not a big issue for me but I was curious.  

Archived