Battery drain 2 + Dynavin disappointment

jhemus

Deep breath, long story...

About 18 months ago I had a Dynavin unit fitted to update my in car entertainment. Sound and satnav was much improved, though it was a little glitchy.

Shortly afterwards I had the car detailed. The guy called me a few days into the work to say the battery was flat and I agreed for him to fit a new one. 

Over the next year, every time I went on holiday, I returned to a flat battery. I thought it was just one of those things (though it had never happened before). Recently it started happening much more frequently so I took it to my Porsche OPC. They fitted a new battery and diagnosed a battery drain due to the Dynavin. As soon as they said this, the timing made sense. Porsche attempted to remove the unit to fix the issue but were unable to get it out as it was jammed. They removed the fuse as a temporary fix.

i then took it to the original installer with the aim of getting it sorted. They too were unable to remove the unit and suggested that someone else must have removed it since fitting and reinstalled it with double sided tape or similar.to hold it in place. Whilst I am not in my car 24 hours a day so cannot prove it(!), I am confident that no one has removed it since the first install. I got a £40 bill and no progress.

Since then I have been putting the fuse in and out every journey, which is not sustainable. Worse I forgot to remove it this week and the battery is flat again. Yesterday I phoned the original installer to fix a time to get the unit removed (they had previously said they could remove it, but it would break the unit - frankly I don't care at this point) and once more they pointed the finger at an unknown third party who had 'glued' the unit in subsequent to the initial fitting. They suggested that the OPC may have done this. They promised to call back but didn't. 

I also spoke to the OPC for advice and am awaiting a call back today. The bottom line:

- Car is immobile

- I have no radio, satnav etc

- I have wasted circa £1,000 on the Dynavin and 2 batteries

- the installer doesn't really want to know 

My main reason for posting is to warn other readers to think twice before having an after market unit fitted and to avoid the installer I used. I won't name them here but please PM me if you are planning to have  work done and would like to know who they are.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve gratefully received. Flipping frustrating.

Sorry to hear of your hassle. I have a Dynavin N6 in my 987.2 and have had zero issues. Plus the unit is great with all the latest tech. I fitted it myself in 15 minutes flat.

I would think your initial installer of the Dynavin is your culprit here. 

5 minutes ago, M12MTR said:

Sorry to hear of your hassle. I have a Dynavin N6 in my 987.2 and have had zero issues. Plus the unit is great with all the latest tech. I fitted it myself in 15 minutes flat.

I would think your initial installer of the Dynavin is your culprit here. 

Thanks. Yes, I am almost certain that the original installer is the culprit (and they are an approved dealer). I liked the unit, but I wouldn't take the risk again in future.

When I read the title of this thread my heart sank as I have just put a deposit on a N7 to be fitted on Monday. I thought of pulling the plug and chalk up the loss of deposit to a bad choice. Great to see subsequent posts praising the unit and the fault to point to the original installer.

I hope you get the issue sorted without too much trouble, but I would certainly go back to Dynavin as your trouble nearly cost them a sale.

I think this is a good case to take to the small claims court, or at least threaten to. It's decided on balance of probability, so you don't need to 'prove' beyond reasonable doubt that they fitted it badly.

I can see no reason why the OPC would glue the unit in place if they couldn't even remove it in the first place. I presume they diagnosed the drain by pulling fuses.

I'd contact dynavin first to see if they want to examine the unit in the car to decide if it's a unit issue or an installation issue causing the current drain. Then let the fitters remove the unit and pay the bill and keep as much evidence as you can. Original fitting invoice, replacement battery invoices, removal invoices and removed unit. Contact Dynavin with the info and ask for a full refund of the price of the dynavin due to the battery drain. You can send them the unit for there investigation. If they say the unit is fine, then this is all an installation issue and you need to go after the installer for everything, otherwise just for all the labour charges incurred as they should have tested the unit properly once installed. Hopefully with a letter before action, they we see sense and refund you.

Good luck

P.S. If the installer is unwilling to settle, I'd name them on here and let them know that this is what you are going to do followed by a small claims action. As long as you just state facts, you are in the clear.

if you are happy with the unit and are keeping it, rather than pulling the fuse, you obviously know which one, so follow the wiring and put a switch in line on the positive lead from the fuse and either put it on the dash or hide it somewhere, easier than pulling fuses, I know it does'nt address the drain issue but it looks like that unit is stuck in there, I guess the installer used the double sided tape if he's mentioned it........who fits into a dash using double sided tape??????B)

4 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I think this is a good case to take to the small claims court, or at least threaten to. It's decided on balance of probability, so you don't need to 'prove' beyond reasonable doubt that they fitted it badly.

I can see no reason why the OPC would glue the unit in place if they couldn't even remove it in the first place. I presume they diagnosed the drain by pulling fuses.

I'd contact dynavin first to see if they want to examine the unit in the car to decide if it's a unit issue or an installation issue causing the current drain. Then let the fitters remove the unit and pay the bill and keep as much evidence as you can. Original fitting invoice, replacement battery invoices, removal invoices and removed unit. Contact Dynavin with the info and ask for a full refund of the price of the dynavin due to the battery drain. You can send them the unit for there investigation. If they say the unit is fine, then this is all an installation issue and you need to go after the installer for everything, otherwise just for all the labour charges incurred as they should have tested the unit properly once installed. Hopefully with a letter before action, they we see sense and refund you.

Good luck

P.S. If the installer is unwilling to settle, I'd name them on here and let them know that this is what you are going to do followed by a small claims action. As long as you just state facts, you are in the clear.

Nobbie

This is great advice - many thanks. Part of me just wants to get this sorted and put it down to experience, but I do feel like I've been 'done over'. The general attitude of the installer is poor; not outright rude, but unhelpful at best, passive aggressive at worst. Thanks again for your suggestions - sounds like a good plan.

2 minutes ago, headless said:

if you are happy with the unit and are keeping it, rather than pulling the fuse, you obviously know which one, so follow the wiring and put a switch in line on the positive lead from the fuse and either put it on the dash or hide it somewhere, easier than pulling fuses, I know it does'nt address the drain issue but it looks like that unit is stuck in there, I guess the installer used the double sided tape if he's mentioned it........who fits into a dash using double sided tape??????B)

Good suggestion and if it worked, I'd be happy. However, I think that was the plan of the installer when I took it back and their inability to remove the unit meant that they were unable to. Or maybe you are suggesting something slightly different. The other problem is that I am at the extreme end of technically inept(!) so I would need to find someone else to do this. 

Having taken the dog for a walk and thought a bit more about this a bit more, I thought I'd clarify my earlier post.

The key fact here is that their was a fault when the unit was fitted as evidenced by the battery flattening at that stage and this can be further proved by the existing current drain.

Are the installer in any way approved or recommended by Dynavin?

2 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Having taken the dog for a walk and thought a bit more about this a bit more, I thought I'd clarify my earlier post.

The key fact here is that their was a fault when the unit was fitted as evidenced by the battery flattening at that stage and this can be further proved by the existing current drain.

Are the installer in any way approved or recommended by Dynavin?

Yes they are a Dynavin approved seller and installer.

Just now, jhemus said:

Yes they are a Dynavin approved seller and installer.

That's excellent news as Dynavin have an interest in how well the install has been done. I would hope they'd send someone to assess whether it's the unit or a faulty install. If they refuse, keep a record of this refusal as it will show the court that they had the oppotunity to inspect should it get that far. You should then go to a different approved installer to get it removed and ask them whether there are any faults in the installation that would cause the current drain or if it is due to a faulty unit (don't tell them another approved installer did it). You then have a sound basis on which to pursue the party at fault for compensation.

Also worth keeping any gaffer tape that was used to hold the unit in as it may help show who did it, although an outside chance unless it has the Porsche logo on it?. If OPC could get the unit out, they would have left it out, if they couldn't, then how would they attach gaffer taper to hold it in?

Sorry to hear about the issues @jhemus I believe that we used the same installer which has me slightly concerned :o

I use a CTEK trickly charger when the car is not in use so I am unable to comment whether I have the same issue as you but please do keep us updated on the progress with yours.

2 minutes ago, guest1 said:

Sorry to hear about the issues @jhemus I believe that we used the same installer which has me slightly concerned :o

I use a CTEK trickly charger when the car is not in use so I am unable to comment whether I have the same issue as you but please do keep us updated on the progress with yours.

Will do. I hope you don't have the same problem. I will be purchasing a trickle charger this afternoon as an early Christmas present!

To be honest @jhemus, I couldn't tell you if I have the same issue or not because the trickle charger gets plugged in each time I put the car in the garage.

There have been a few occasions since the installation when I have left the car overnight without the trickle charger plugged in (eg:  in a hotel car park for two days; overnight when being serviced etc).  However it sounds like the battery drain you experience happened over a longer period of time and so these examples may not be indicative of the same installation issue you have experienced.

It is a shame that the installer is being like this with you as they were very helpful at the time and I am sure there are a few people who have used them -- not just you and I -- and it is in their interest to get this issue resolved.  At least I still have my old CDR 24 unit in a cupboard upstairs so -- if push comes to shove and this does prove to be an installation issue -- I can have that re-installed.  This could seriusly affect their reputation if they allow your issues to continue wihtout adequate resolution, it never ceases to amaze me that people don't see the pointlessness of certain courses of action.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you get it solved and that I don't have the same problem.

One last question -- was it a difficult process for OPC to diagnose the issue ?  I may ask the guys at Revolution to check mine when it is next up with them (around April-ish) next year

3 minutes ago, guest1 said:

To be honest, I couldn't tell you if I have the same issue or not because the trickle charger gets plugged in each time I put the car in the garage.

There have been a few occasions since the installation when I have left the car overnight without the trickle charger plugged in (eg:  in a hotel car park for two days; overnight when being serviced etc).  However it sounds like the battery drain you experience happened over a longer period of time and so these examples may not be indicative of the same installation issue you have experienced.

It is a shame that the installer is being like this with you as they were very helpful at the time and I am sure there are a few people who have used them -- not just you and I -- and it is in their interest to get this issue resolved.  At least I still have my old CDR 24 unit in a cupboard upstairs so -- if push comes to shove and this does prove to be an installation issue -- I can have that re-installed.  This could seriusly affect their reputation if they allow your issues to continue wihtout adequate resolution, it never ceases to amaze me that people don't see the pointlessness of certain courses of action.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you get it solved and that I don't have the same problem.

Thanks again. You are right that my initial experience with them was good, but unfortunately their attitude to this current issue is less impressive. My CDR 24 is also safely tucked away and may be making a reappearance! 

One last question @jhemus -- was it a difficult and costly process for OPC to diagnose the issue ? 

I may ask the guys at Revolution to check mine when it is next up with them (around April-ish) next year

2 minutes ago, guest1 said:

One last question @jhemus -- was it a difficult and costly process for OPC to diagnose the issue ? 

I may ask the guys at Revolution to check mine when it is next up with them (around April-ish) next year

They did it free of charge and I believe they diagnosed it simply by removing the fuses (though I may be wrong). To balance my disappointment with the Dynavin guys, I have to say that Sutton Coldfield OPC have been excellent. Really helpful, responsive and willing to go the extra mile to sort things out.

1 hour ago, guest1 said:

Thanks @jhemus I will definitely add this to the list of things to ask Russ and the guys at Revolution to look into

It would be helpful to @jhemus to know whether the same installer used "glue" when fitting yours. 

5 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

When I read the title of this thread my heart sank as I have just put a deposit on a N7 to be fitted on Monday. I thought of pulling the plug and chalk up the loss of deposit to a bad choice. Great to see subsequent posts praising the unit and the fault to point to the original installer.

I hope you get the issue sorted without too much trouble, but I would certainly go back to Dynavin as your trouble nearly cost them a sale.

In my experience the Dynavin is a great head unit; don't let this put you off. I'm very pleased I installed mine as it has fab features and looks 'right' in my view. 

It can be fitted easily yourself if you can undo 2 torx screws and the clip in ISO connector. 15 minutes all fitted.

2 hours ago, Boxob said:

It would be helpful to @jhemus to know whether the same installer used "glue" when fitting yours. 

I would of course share the information, however I have no idea as I have not had any issue that has needed me to go back to the installer ...... yet

20 minutes ago, guest1 said:

I would of course share the information, however I have no idea as I have not had any issue that has needed me to go back to the installer ...... yet

I should make it clear that there is currently no evidence of double sided tape/glue having been used by anyone. It is simply the hypothesis put forward by the installer that someone else had done so when he was unable to remove the unit. My contention is that it has never been removed by anyone else and (given that the installer was very clear that they would never use double sided tape), there is another reason why it cannot be removed.

Archived