Battery drain 2 + Dynavin disappointment

jhemus

Seems a funny thing for the original installer to say (stuck in by double sided tape), completely random......, unless of course they had bodged the fitting for whatever reason not expecting it to be exposed.... ?

3 hours ago, M12MTR said:

Once the dash side panels are off can't you slide your hand behind and help (push) it out? (If no glue or pads have been applied as you state?).

I am told that it is stuck solid: they had two people trying to remove it and were unable to. As a consequence their hypothesis was that persons unknown had fixed it with glue/pads.

2 hours ago, gsewell said:

If you can remove the fuse, could you not install a relay switched from an ignition sourced voltage so that the dynavin is only live when the engine is running?

If I knew what I was doing, that could be a solution ; unfortunately I don't so that is not an option.

Where in the UK are you. If you can get anywhere up near York I can gladly have a look for you. 

Cheers, Shane 

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

His profile says Sutton Coldfield.

Aha, didnt see this on the mobile device last night but showing on the pc now. Aah well, I offered lol but if you are over here, just shout :-)

11 minutes ago, motosparkz said:

Aha, didnt see this on the mobile device last night but showing on the pc now. Aah well, I offered lol but if you are over here, just shout :-)

Hi Shane That's a really kind offer and if I was closer, I would take you up on it. Thank you.

Battery is now charged but I don't think I'll be going anywhere today! ☃️

On 12/9/2017 at 1:18 PM, jhemus said:

They did it free of charge and I believe they diagnosed it simply by removing the fuses (though I may be wrong). To balance my disappointment with the Dynavin guys, I have to say that Sutton Coldfield OPC have been excellent. Really helpful, responsive and willing to go the extra mile to sort things out.

Just a thought, how long had you owned your Boxster before you had the Dynavin fitted and how long does it take for the battery to run flat? I presume the battery doesn't go flat if you keep the fuse pulled.

Kevin

4 minutes ago, DrKW59 said:

Just a thought, how long had you owned your Boxster before you had the Dynavin fitted and how long does it take for the battery to run flat? I presume the battery doesn't go flat if you keep the fuse pulled.

Kevin

I had owned the Boxster for approx 18 months-2 years before fitting the Dynavin and had no battery problems before then. The battery does not go flat with the fuse pulled. With fuse in, maybe max of 7 days before it is drained.

51 minutes ago, jhemus said:

I had owned the Boxster for approx 18 months-2 years before fitting the Dynavin and had no battery problems before then. The battery does not go flat with the fuse pulled. With fuse in, maybe max of 7 days before it is drained.

yup, pretty conclusive evidence its the Installation that's the problem.

Seems like they've tapped into the wrong power feed, not that I'm any expert. ^_^

what a Bugg3r!

• 2 weeks later...

An update. I returned to the original installer today and they succeeded in fitting a "kill switch" to address the battery drain issue. I am therefore leaving the unit in place and hoping for the best of both worlds: a functioning upgraded ICE system without the drain on the battery. I made it clear that I would not be paying for this return visit and, to be fair, the installer was pleasant and helpful. Fingers crossed that the issue is now resolved.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Hope it works. Re the tape, is it possible to squirt some acetone in with a hypodermic and dissolve the adhesive? With all due precautions taken first. 

The tape is just a hypothesis so am going to let sleeping dogs lie. 

Sorry to hear this, what a total PITA.

Seems like you have been very reasonable about this, not sure I'd settle for the kill switch option - not a great selling point when you want to move the car on.  By them doing this FoC, it sounds to me like their admitting liability and wanting shot of the problem in the easiest way for them.

Personally I'm enjoying blowing the dust off my CD collection and going old school since having the Boxster :)  Mind you, lack of blue tooth phone is a bit annoying!

Good luck!

On 09/12/2017 at 12:43 PM, Nobbie said:

That's excellent news as Dynavin have an interest in how well the install has been done. I would hope they'd send someone to assess whether it's the unit or a faulty install. If they refuse, keep a record of this refusal as it will show the court that they had the oppotunity to inspect should it get that far. You should then go to a different approved installer to get it removed and ask them whether there are any faults in the installation that would cause the current drain or if it is due to a faulty unit (don't tell them another approved installer did it). You then have a sound basis on which to pursue the party at fault for compensation.

Also worth keeping any gaffer tape that was used to hold the unit in as it may help show who did it, although an outside chance unless it has the Porsche logo on it?. If OPC could get the unit out, they would have left it out, if they couldn't, then how would they attach gaffer taper to hold it in?

This is what I would do. The problem with a kill switch is if you forget to use it you end up with a flat battery again

Archived