How to get some more ooommpphhh...

karlp606

Been driving my tippy 2.5 for a few weeks now and took it for a nice sunday afternoon spin down some country roads but Im really struggling to find the ooommppphhh in my boxster, I know its only a 2.5 with 201 bhp I think from new, so probably around 185ish horses left now but I thought I would feel a bit more ooomph especially at 4000-5000 rpm in 2nd to 3rd etc, are they any engine/exhaust mods that could give a little bit more ooomph as it feels quite sluggish at the moment and the exhaust is not as growly as I would like, more of a submissive drone. 

Adding more bhp is pretty expensive. 

One approach here was to lose weight - Marseille swapped metal panels for plastic and threw away aircon and sound insulation. (He also dropped a 3.4 in...!)

15 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Adding more bhp is pretty expensive. 

One approach here was to lose weight - Marseille swapped metal panels for plastic and threw away aircon and sound insulation. (He also dropped a 3.4 in...!)

Porsche designed these engines with exact power outputs unlike some manufacturers they don't have much head room or hidden bhp tricks.  To gain much more bhp leads down a slippery expensive path with no guarantees at the end of it. 

Maybe get a by-pass mod exhaust or sports one to give you the impression you are going faster

I've been reasonably impressed with the ooomph in my 2.5. The power delivery is very different from a modern turbo engine but once you get used to it, it really flies. You can't short shift or be lazy with the gears (probably not an issue in an auto) but I think this adds to the fun. What are you used to driving? The torque is very different from my scirocco so you don't have that low down kick but from 4k it's much quicker.

That said... I'm quite interested in the under drive pulley. I've heard that it is quite good for freeing up some power

1 hour ago, karlp606 said:

Been driving my tippy 2.5 for a few weeks now and took it for a nice sunday afternoon spin down some country roads but Im really struggling to find the ooommppphhh in my boxster, I know its only a 2.5 with 201 bhp I think from new, so probably around 185ish horses left now but I thought I would feel a bit more ooomph especially at 4000-5000 rpm in 2nd to 3rd etc, are they any engine/exhaust mods that could give a little bit more ooomph as it feels quite sluggish at the moment and the exhaust is not as growly as I would like, more of a submissive drone. 

I reckon a bypass mod would certainly improve things as it's often the whole experience that gives the impression of speed rather than the actual power produced. I assume you'r driving it in manual mode when you want a bit of fun? You don't even need to change up when accelerating as it does it automatically when you reach the rev limit.

Yep, the exhaust bypass is the best mod you can do to any standard Boxster

2 hours ago, That986 said:

Hate to say this but a tiptronic 2.5 is never going to feel like a rocketship, for more speed you're really looking at trading in.

True, I just thought it would have a bit more shhbang, Im looking at taking it to Revolution Porsche in Leeds as the alignment needs doing and a few other little bits, do they do the exhaust bypass mod there? 

16 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

I've been reasonably impressed with the ooomph in my 2.5. The power delivery is very different from a modern turbo engine but once you get used to it, it really flies. You can't short shift or be lazy with the gears (probably not an issue in an auto) but I think this adds to the fun. What are you used to driving? The torque is very different from my scirocco so you don't have that low down kick but from 4k it's much quicker.

That said... I'm quite interested in the under drive pulley. I've heard that it is quite good for freeing up some power

Previous cars have been a 325i BMW E92 and previously a 350z 3.5 v6, So I know the porker is going to be at that level but just seems some torque is lacking. 

4 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

True, I just thought it would have a bit more shhbang, Im looking at taking it to Revolution Porsche in Leeds as the alignment needs doing and a few other little bits, do they do the exhaust bypass mod there? 

They'll definitely do that there for you which will give you the placebo effect of speed through the medium of noise. Looking at your previous cars though you're going to find the boxster lacking in power and torque in comparison.

The tiptronic 'box really robs some performance from the 986/996 cars. It's less efficient than a manual meaning less power to the wheels, and also has longer gear ratios. Driving it properly would be an instant performance increase - make sure you're only shifting up as it reaches the limiter.

Other than that, straight line performance mods aren't worth the money for these IMO. The K20 that comes in the EP3/FN2 Civic Type R is a highly tuneable N/A engine, but it still costs around £3k for another 30bhp at the wheels. You'd be looking at even more than that for the Boxster.

If you really want to take that route, I think the best mod for £ per hp is an underdrive pulley. You'll get an extra 5bhp or so to the wheels.

If you're ok with a little bit of minor DIY then have a read of @marseille running reports and one for my old car. You don't have to spend any where near 3k to do larger throttle body, intake, manifolds, underdrive pulley, 987 airbox, remap. A combination of these mods will get you in the range of 15-30bhp and cost say 700 in parts.

10 hours ago, edc said:

If you're ok with a little bit of minor DIY then have a read of @marseille running reports and one for my old car. You don't have to spend any where near 3k to do larger throttle body, intake, manifolds, underdrive pulley, 987 airbox, remap. A combination of these mods will get you in the range of 15-30bhp and cost say 700 in parts.

Do you have a link to your running report? I've searched the relevant part of the forum but can only find the one on your 550

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Do you have a link to your running report? I've searched the relevant part of the forum but can only find the one on your 550

• 4 weeks later...

3 things really liven up a 2.5 an underdrive pulley, 996 throttle body and a lightweight flywheel, as yours is a tip the flywheel is out of the question but the other two are worth doing 

Honestly, get a more  powerful car.

I went from a 986 2.5 to a 987 2.7 and it is quite a step up in power.  Now in a 987 3.2S and another big step up

986S is going to be a big jump from the 2.5 and the £2k-£3k you spend changing will stay with the car rather than be a dead loss like modding a 2.5.

Throttle body and under drive pulley you could DIY with all parts for about £250. The parts are also re-sellable for near enough the same purchase cost (assuming the TB is a used part). 

Archived