Modifications dilemma

Terryg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, PaulQ said:

I've got my shift pretty much spot on now for me.  Standard 987 shift is better,  but not that great. Ended up going back to the 986 shifter,  but with 35mm or so cut off the shaft ala 550 short shift. With one of Jims bearing kits fitted, and the block shimmed that gets rid of most of the play. The final piece is an aluminium shift knob thats tightly fitted to the shaft,  so a little more NVH but the balance is just right  and it's a pleasure to use. Its even good in the cold, with just the first few changes into 2nd being a bit stiff. 

That's actually interesting to hear what you have done, also good to know that everyone who has reported on Jims bearing kit has done so positively. Where did you get the aluminium shift knob?

Take a bow Jim!!!

I have an interest to declare - I am a serial modder and have mucked around with most cars I have owned.  When I haven't, I usually sell them fairly quickly as I get bored with them.

What attracted me to a Boxster is that they are the least valued of all Porsches, so as far as I am concerned you have licence to mod to your hearts content.  That isn't a disparaging comment - far from it as I think Boxsters are the best value for money in the Porsche world and are a brilliant little platform.  For me though, its a platform to create what I want.  I look at a car and see all the compromises that the manufacturer made and I want to improve them.  Accordingly, I have a program of what I want to do to get a car that drives how I want.  It's not rocket science - in fact my ambitions are similar to RPMs CSR cars.  And lets face facts, this is exactly what Porsche does with its special models - springs, dampers, bushings, bigger brakes, some lightweight pixie dust, an undetectable amount of extra hp and some stickers and all of a sudden its worth squillions to collectors and journos are orgasming all over it. 

So I say, have at it and do what you like.  It's your car so why keep it as you imagine the next owner might like it.  As that old story goes, its a bit like marrying a super model and not taking her to bed in order to preserve her originality for the next owner...

Get stuck in!

17 hours ago, 911-32 said:

I have an interest to declare - I am a serial modder and have mucked around with most cars I have owned.  When I haven't, I usually sell them fairly quickly as I get bored with them.

What attracted me to a Boxster is that they are the least valued of all Porsches, so as far as I am concerned you have licence to mod to your hearts content.  That isn't a disparaging comment - far from it as I think Boxsters are the best value for money in the Porsche world and are a brilliant little platform.  For me though, its a platform to create what I want.  I look at a car and see all the compromises that the manufacturer made and I want to improve them.  Accordingly, I have a program of what I want to do to get a car that drives how I want.  It's not rocket science - in fact my ambitions are similar to RPMs CSR cars.  And lets face facts, this is exactly what Porsche does with its special models - springs, dampers, bushings, bigger brakes, some lightweight pixie dust, an undetectable amount of extra hp and some stickers and all of a sudden its worth squillions to collectors and journos are orgasming all over it. 

So I say, have at it and do what you like.  It's your car so why keep it as you imagine the next owner might like it.  As that old story goes, its a bit like marrying a super model and not taking her to bed in order to preserve her originality for the next owner...

Get stuck in!

Great post, particularly love the last paragraph.

17 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Thanks Paul, I assume there is a 6 speed version somewhere there, I'll look later.

If you want to keep some originality in looks then look at the Tequipment and 550 gearknobs. They are metal based and heavier. 

8 minutes ago, edc said:

If you want to keep some originality in looks then look at the Tequipment and 550 gearknobs. They are metal based and heavier. 

I'll speak to my bank manager first!

Archived