Modifications dilemma

Terryg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mods were:

Silver side lights with silver bulbs so they don’t show yellow except when lit (My car was Arctic Silver)

Xenon headlight bulbs Low and High beam

Silver taillights with silver turn signal bulbs so they don’t show yellow except when lit

SmartTop (no hand brake required to raise/lower top, one touch and the top goes up)

SunVisor top airbag sticker cover ups (silicon cement used)

Aspheric left and right hand mirrors, OEM Porsche parts

Body colored bumperettes (Eric’s 14 coats version)

DasSchild rear trunk lid protector

Locks option 2 turned on (lock doors at 3-5MPH) (requires 2 door pulls or an unlock first)

Spinlocks to allow future easy future installation of hardtop

AGM battery

Would the casual observer notice any of these?  Probably not.  Had I kept it longer, the roof/top replacement with a glass window version would have been my next project. Or de-amber the headlingts.

Stuff that is a factory option I would barely call a mod. Fitting Bose or rear speakers, retrofit original heated seats, OEM 3 spoke wheel, all this stuff isn't really a mod to me. Other things I wouldn't class as mods are swapping orange halogen bulbs for silver versions. 

Mods for me are proper upgraded parts, and they are typically aftermarket or not normally available for the car originally eg metal bearing short shifter, modified or aftermarket suspension arms, suspension bushes replaced with different type to give a different characteristic, larger throttle body etc. 

While I'm still writing this :D another thing that irks is upgrades that aren't really upgrades as they do the same thing as the part replaced in pretty much the same way eg silver indicator bulbs, red seat belts, 4 spoke to 3 spoke wheel.

All the boxster's carry differing spec so there kind moded to taste from the factory, and some area's need improvement plenty have a later glass roof and litronic's they are considered improvements in both use and value, I would do the seats and see how that works, gear change I'm not so keen on the second gear from cold would be an ass and the feel of the car for me dose not need a short shift wrong kind of power delivery and gearing for that.

i would call a modification something like an engine change and lots of the other things discussed are improvements and/or cosmetic.

With TVRs Insurance and location has a bearing for modifications. The current one has modifications and a couple of the main insurers will not touch it or quote a huge premium. The same insurers cover very modified cars up country. 

You don’t want this feedback but it is your car...

When it comes to mods how i think about them is this:

Does it make MY life better? Are they easily reversible? Do they look right, i.e OEM parts or parts which look like they should be there? 

Things like steering wheels etc are easily changed (under 10 minutes) and if you use 987 seats in your car then that's a nice upgrade in my eyes but if you do the wiring right then that could easily be reversed as well. Even things like short shifts are fairly simple to reverse but in reality make the car a better thing overall as long as they're fitted properly. I've seen the looks people give (PCGB, i'm looking at you here) when they see the wrap on the car but that's just me having fun, the real purpose of the wrap is to save the really good paint under it. Being as i daily drive my car it's nice not to have to worry too much about it and in fact it looks better when it has dirt on it, add in that it's easily taken off and it's a no-brainer for me. I totally agree btw on the steering wheel front, god knows why there's so little adjustment of a massive steering wheel in there. 

Also let's face facts here, we're dealing with what are relatively cheap high end sports car that are plentiful so unless you've got an absolutely mint low miler original example I wouldn't even worry about it. Enjoy it, mod it, make it something that is a pleasure to drive for you because that's what it should be about.

Having tried most of the various gear linkage kits and Porsches own, I'd really recommend the bearing kit that emulates the GT3 shifter. It's way better feel and change than the short shift.  Although having seen Map's shifter, I do hope to try that one day!

As for mods, do what you want. Keep them tasteful and using genuine Porsche items, I think you'll find adds kudos and will not detract from the value. But don't have heated seats and not get the wiring sorted too - that offend too many OCD owners, including myself. 

Whilst often frustrating, especially the price of some items, I find modifying very satisfying and often essential to get the driving experience I'm looking for. 

On 08/01/2018 at 9:46 AM, That986 said:

When it comes to mods how i think about them is this:

Does it make MY life better? Are they easily reversible? Do they look right, i.e OEM parts or parts which look like they should be there? 

Things like steering wheels etc are easily changed (under 10 minutes) and if you use 987 seats in your car then that's a nice upgrade in my eyes but if you do the wiring right then that could easily be reversed as well. Even things like short shifts are fairly simple to reverse but in reality make the car a better thing overall as long as they're fitted properly. I've seen the looks people give (PCGB, i'm looking at you here) when they see the wrap on the car but that's just me having fun, the real purpose of the wrap is to save the really good paint under it. Being as i daily drive my car it's nice not to have to worry too much about it and in fact it looks better when it has dirt on it, add in that it's easily taken off and it's a no-brainer for me. I totally agree btw on the steering wheel front, god knows why there's so little adjustment of a massive steering wheel in there. 

Also let's face facts here, we're dealing with what are relatively cheap high end sports car that are plentiful so unless you've got an absolutely mint low miler original example I wouldn't even worry about it. Enjoy it, mod it, make it something that is a pleasure to drive for you because that's what it should be about.

This is the closest post to my point of view, so hardly surprising then that I love your car and completely agree about the wrap BTW.

On 08/01/2018 at 7:28 AM, chaz771 said:

All the boxster's carry differing spec so there kind moded to taste from the factory, and some area's need improvement plenty have a later glass roof and litronic's they are considered improvements in both use and value, I would do the seats and see how that works, gear change I'm not so keen on the second gear from cold would be an ass and the feel of the car for me dose not need a short shift wrong kind of power delivery and gearing for that.

Agree about the glass (I have that) and the Litonics (can't afford them but definitely desirable), don't agree on the gearshift but that's a personal choice so no biggie. The only thing I will say and I have mentioned it several times on here before is that my SSK with Jims roller bearings is way better than stock for cold weather shifting. Now before everyone says that the bearings have no bearing  (sorry) on the cold weather performance of the gearbox, I agree, in theory, but in practice they have and I don't know why.

36 minutes ago, Terryg said:

. Now before everyone says that the bearings have no bearing  (sorry) on the cold weather performance of the gearbox, I agree, in theory, but in practice they have and I don't know why.

Placebo effect perhaps.

I think because with the metal bearings everything is generally a bit tighter and more accurate, especially after you dismantle and reassemble. This means more of the actual movement is transmitted. Before you may have noticed with the old stock shifter that the movement is generally a bit looser with some slack at certain points of resistance. Now with new shifter the same movement gives a more positive action and where before you may have found an extra little push further or harder will send it home, now you need a fraction less effort. The other part to play a part is that you will have re-aligned the shifter cables as part of the process.

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

This is the closest post to my point of view, so hardly surprising then that I love your car and completely agree about the wrap BTW.

Thanks, nice to hear. Hope you get your car how you want it. On a personal front mine is nowhere near and if i go with i want to do the purists will hate but as @Jason986S knows i have the perfect sticker already procured as a response.

7 minutes ago, That986 said:

Thanks, nice to hear. Hope you get your car how you want it. On a personal front mine is nowhere near and if i go with i want to do the purists will hate but as @Jason986S knows i have the perfect sticker already procured as a response.

igh captain!

20 hours ago, Topbox said:

Placebo effect perhaps.

Definitely not, when I first got the car on the standard (ugh) gearshift it was very stiff first to second, fitting the Chinky SSK made it a bit better but probably only because I lithium greased all the cables. A good 8 to 12 months later I fitted Jims bearing kit, took out all the slop, greased again and re fitted. So I was away for Christmas, didn't drive the car for about 4 weeks, very cold weather over that period, get in start her up, select first easy and straight back into second no problem. Every time I expect to need a real tug on the gear lever like before and it just goes in real easy.

20 hours ago, edc said:

I think because with the metal bearings everything is generally a bit tighter and more accurate, especially after you dismantle and reassemble. This means more of the actual movement is transmitted. Before you may have noticed with the old stock shifter that the movement is generally a bit looser with some slack at certain points of resistance. Now with new shifter the same movement gives a more positive action and where before you may have found an extra little push further or harder will send it home, now you need a fraction less effort. The other part to play a part is that you will have re-aligned the shifter cables as part of the process.

I think you are right about the slack being taken out, it is now perfectly aligned to go from first to second. With the cheapo SSK it is as sloppy as the original with just a shorty shift, with the bearing kit and shim that is virtually totally eliminated.

3 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Definitely not, when I first got the car on the standard (ugh) gearshift it was very stiff first to second, fitting the Chinky SSK made it a bit better but probably only because I lithium greased all the cables. A good 8 to 12 months later I fitted Jims bearing kit, took out all the slop, greased again and re fitted. So I was away for Christmas, didn't drive the car for about 4 weeks, very cold weather over that period, get in start her up, select first easy and straight back into second no problem. Every time I expect to need a real tug on the gear lever like before and it just goes in real easy.

I think you are right about the slack being taken out, it is now perfectly aligned to go from first to second. With the cheapo SSK it is as sloppy as the original with just a shorty shift, with the bearing kit and shim that is virtually totally eliminated.

Sounds like heaven (and every other car on the planet). 

Gearshift quality is quite a personal thing. Some love to feel what is going on and others don't. Depending on the application there is a balance to be struck between length of throw, tightness around the gate and the mechanical feel and resistance at the point the gear slots home. I've always found BMWs to have a lot of self-centre action so as you go from 2 to 3 they always feel very accurate. It is really smooth and quite quick moving across the gate between the gears. But when you hit the initial resistance before the gear slots in there is a like a big rubber band on it as you seem to need a disproportionate amount of effort and movement to actually get the gear compared to the movement across the gate. The shift action feels a bit incongruous. My dad's Honda Jazz is a bit like an MX5. The throw is quite short. It feels quite mechanical with little damping effect compared to a BMW and the gear just slots in with ease. It's a shade less accurate when going from say 2 to 3. I would describe the shift on my Boxster which has the OE short shift with Jim's bearing kit as somthing in between the two of those. It's not quite as accurate as a BMW across the gate but also not quite as snickety as even a Honda Jazz.

39 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Not perfect but light years ahead of the original!

If you've ever driven an old school beetle that to me is the ideal gearshift. Mechanical, feel it go into place with a bit of resistance and no real slop as it's pretty much directly connected. When you stick a short shift on them it's lovely as it enhances it and then you get the proper clack, clack, clack as it goes across. Heaven. They're quite a long throw as standard but just nice to hustle around. 

On a personal note the gearshift is the biggest thing that stops me "driving" my car more, it's never been a pleasure to use and is at the best adequate for a sports car even with the 987 shifter fitted.

I've got my shift pretty much spot on now for me.  Standard 987 shift is better,  but not that great. Ended up going back to the 986 shifter,  but with 35mm or so cut off the shaft ala 550 short shift. With one of Jims bearing kits fitted, and the block shimmed that gets rid of most of the play. The final piece is an aluminium shift knob thats tightly fitted to the shaft,  so a little more NVH but the balance is just right  and it's a pleasure to use. Its even good in the cold, with just the first few changes into 2nd being a bit stiff. 

On 06/01/2018 at 3:46 PM, Terryg said:

...but since I can repair leather...

Would you be able to help with a couple of niggly issues I have? :)

Archived