Limited Slip Diff?

TV8

I have 2005 2.7 and taking it for its MOT on Thursday and not sure if it has a LSD or not? I am sure i saw LSD in the advert or paper work when I bought the car but wondered if the fine people on here can confirm or point me in the right direction to check? 

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried dropping the clutch in 1st on a wet cold road? Without LSD I'd expect one wheel to just spin initially. With LSD you should get traction immediately unless I'm misunderstanding how an LSD works.

A less hooligan way is to check the option codes on the sticker under the bonnet.

38 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

224 is "Automatic Limited Slip Differential" which appears on 9x6 Tiptronic cars.

Hi Richard, I don't think this is quite right.

@Loz987 currently has a 1998 986 (2.5 manual) with the 222 & 224 option codes (per frunk sticker). Mechanically, it was a well spec'd car from new (also has 013 and 030). B)

I almost bought the same car a couple of years previously and at the time read up on these options (as they seem uncommon for such an early MY 986):

222 - Traction Control

224 - Automatic Braking Differential (ABD)

224 - ABD (Active Brake Differential)

224 - Automatic Limited Slip Differential

Irrespective of which name(s) is formally correct for option 224, from what I can gather it isn't a 'proper' slipper-diff - rather a system that brakes a spinning wheel (under 44mph?).

I don't think it has anything to do with whether a car is a manual or tiptronic.

All this said, I have been warned that I mustn't trust everything I read on Tinterweb.... :rolleyes:

FWIW, I think @Loz987 wasn't keen on the 222/224 combo when he first got the car, but now likes/appreciates it....

Cheers, Baggers.

Yes, my mistake Baggers.  M224 (with it's various descriptions) was part of the ABS5.3 system, so it could be on a manual or Tip.

AFAIK Porsche have always used 220 as the option code for a true LSD.  My 3.2 Carrera has one.  B)

I can find 220 in the option codes for the 987 (as per the OP) but I can't find it for the 986.  Was it ever offered as a factory option?

If it is a standard diff it will show option code 219.

Well, it definitely has not got a LSD but it has got a new MOT! First time I have seen under the car as well - all good but think it is time to change a couple of the tyres looking at the age of them. 

Archived