Carpet wet on passenger side

alank

Good evening gents

I keep the Boxster outside with a good half cover over the roof. Just noticed today that the passenger side carpet is wet, not flooded though,as I realise the ECU is under seat . Their is 4 rubber grommet type thingys with slots in bottom by battery.when I put water down the 2 outboard ones it comes out above front wheels. When I put water down the 2 inboard ones by battery it does not appear to drain anywhere, perhaps it fall's onto under tray of car.  Any advice would be great, thanks Alan

Clear the drains and try again seems the obvious solution. Where is the carpet wet and where is the source? If it feels wet on top then it is probably soaked right through. The underlay sound proofing is a very dense foam. You best investigate and dry it out before any damp is around the alarm module. 

You need to check and clear both front and rear drainage holes. Trombone or camel pack cleaning brush is ideal. Make sure the heavy foam under the carpet is not sodden.

Edit - beaten to the reply!

The drains seem to be just a slot in bottom of rubber grommet. I was expecting a tube to the bottom of car. Is their anything that can get blocked past these rubber grommet s. Where do they drain too? Thanks

Alan you need to clean the two at the back.

You will need to put it in service mode and removed the carpet you will see a rubber matt shaped with into two drains they need to be cleaned I bought I trombone cleaner it's a long wire encased with a rubber tube and little brushes at either ends great for push8ng down and clearing  out the drains

Just read some info on the net about Porsche stopping the use of drain tubes on front at some time and just having the grommets draining below the front trunk. Seems mine is this way, hence when looking into grommet their is a slot in bottom for water to drain through. I can see this being usefull as their is no tubes to unblock.

I have only seen one either side of battery.

There is also drains at the back.

I have a diagram some where if I can find it I'll post it on here I know there is also one next to the fuel filler cap

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys - Brand New BoXa Virgin in SW19 - but loving it so far. I just had a new top fitted to my baby as the plastic window exploded and split with a huge bang. It was split and water was getting in during a recent downpour (dont think Melting snow helped either) and now carpet is wet. I thought it was the split but the brilliant and knowledgeable fitter guy (Darren?) guy from Car Hood Warehouse tested for me and it looks like front drains are COMPLETELY blocked. Is this a job for a relatively DIY capable guy who is no Porsche expert, or is this a job for my Mechanic? If I can do it, then any basic step by step instructions or a pointer to a web link for same would be great. Seeing it with a brand new hood has just given me that sudden rush of love for the favourite car I have ever had at 52 years old. ;-)

5 minutes ago, Ray Bricknell said:

Hi Guys - Brand New BoXa Virgin in SW19 - but loving it so far. I just had a new top fitted to my baby as the plastic window exploded and split with a huge bang. It was split and water was getting in during a recent downpour (dont think Melting snow helped either) and now carpet is wet. I thought it was the split but the brilliant and knowledgeable fitter guy (Darren?) guy from Car Hood Warehouse tested for me and it looks like front drains are COMPLETELY blocked. Is this a job for a relatively DIY capable guy who is no Porsche expert, or is this a job for my Mechanic? If I can do it, then any basic step by step instructions or a pointer to a web link for same would be great. Seeing it with a brand new hood has just given me that sudden rush of love for the favourite car I have ever had at 52 years old. ;-)

Take a look here...

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37955-drain-holes.html

I use a trombone cleaner I bought off Amazon.

Get yourself a Newbie thread added to the Newbie Forum to introduce yourself and add some photos - host via Imgur or Flickr - do not try to upload directly as size is limited...

And welcome by the way :) 

The earlier cars had only two front drain holes, 2002 ish they had three.

They usually clog up with tree debris that composts if not attended to.  Very easy DIY job, to poke something down then to clear.  I usually poor the watering can down afterwards to test. Don't miss the one under the battery tray - its visible drivers side.

This  should help:

See the source image

Most good indis check and clear these as part of their service regime.

Archived