Spin on oil filter conversion

myfirstboxster

The filter i ended up fitting sat just a bit lower than the original , as for the cost , it wasn't cheap ! About £155 inc P+P from Pelican parts , you could bring the price down a few quid if you sourced a Filter in the U.K , just be aware it has a 13/16 ths thread so you might have to hunt around for one . 

18 hours ago, myfirstboxster said:

Never been a fan of the folded cardboard filter ( stands back and prepares to be shot down in flames ) :lol:

*picks up weapon, loads, takes aim*

Porsche thought the original arrangement was suitable, but what does a multi-billion pound motorsports company know compared to you eh? No, you've read the internets and are now an expert in oil filtration.

Only kidding?, I kind of assumed it was for convenience of changing them. How do you know which filter to buy?

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

*picks up weapon, loads, takes aim*

Porsche thought the original arrangement was suitable, but what does a multi-billion pound motorsports company know compared to you eh? No, you've read the internets and are now an expert in oil filtration.

Only kidding?, I kind of assumed it was for convenience of changing them. How do you know which filter to buy?

Internet research

• 1 month later...

I have the spin-on. The convenience factor doesn’t count for much. The canisters, however, are cheaper and easily sourced. The major advantage, I believe, is better filtration. Apparently there is much less bypass in the canister filter than in the stock filter. The multi billion pound company doesn’t always choose the superior system (think IMS, AOS) especially if it costs more.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one on my 986S 04 as well. I got it thorugh LN in the States via my cousin who lives over there. The marketing blurb says it fliters better but I thought it would be easier than playing with the paper filters. So far thats worked out, v easy to change.

To answer the above questions:

No, it doesnt hang down lower than the standard arrangement.

The firm supplies Napa Gold filters (US brand) but a quick email to them gave me a bunch of alternatives that are easier to source over here.

Archived