Trickle charger

niceone

You don't need one as such. If you leave any car for long periods then the battery can drain. There are plenty of brands out there from a CTEK to the value Lidl/Aldi ones. Just read the bumf and get one that car maintain a cat battery of your spec. 

I like to put my car on a charger (CTEK) if I know I’m not going to use it for a couple of weeks.  Just so it’s ready for action when I do go to use it.  I’ve never had a battery issue. And don’t want one! ?

My car sits on it's lidl charger 24/7, it hasn't had much use at all this winter maybe 3/4 days since Mid December, I know with the charger attached, I can jump in and go.

If I was using it a couple of times a week, then I may not even bother with a charger at and daily I wouldn't bother.

Cheap and cheerful the Lidl and Aldi ones work well.

I use the Lidl one when I remember to connect it! ...............................I won't forget again!  '''''''''''''Just found the battery flat yesterday :wacko:

10 hours ago, TomGW said:

I use an Accumate during periods when the car is not being used regularly / frequently. It cost approx £45 and has been excellent. 

Same here. Had mine for 13+ years & used on most my cars. They come with a hard wire plug as well as crocodile clips so they are plug & play.

Picked my 987S up last Friday, 10 minutes to put the wire onto the battery & poke out the CD changer hatch, job done. Now just plug in, shut front boot, lock & it's charging / conditioning / maintaining the battery when car not in use.

If you use your car regularly you don’t need one. Many people only use their Porsche infrequently (especially in winter), Porsche batteries don’t seem to be great and IF it does discharge it’s a faff because you can’t easily access the frunk space to recharge it. So all in it’s probably worth getting a decent smart charger 

I have this and it’s highly recommended

Ctek MXS 5.0

Cheaper alternatives (Aldi/Lidl) are sometimes available, but the CTEk does have a variety of accessories for either hardwiring, or using the cigarette lighter etc, and can do battery reconditioning, charging of AGM batteries etc etc.

As @Greenman i use a CTEK MXS 5 , on my 986 i use cigarette lighter adapter (which on a 986 is live with the ignition off) and route the cable out of the n/s door where there is a drain hole/recess  in the rubber door seal.

I have a Ring solar panel in the window of the (south facing) garage - which they claim works well in cloudy conditions, before I get the stick! - and just plug it into the ciggy lighter and shut the driver's door on it whenever the car goes back in the garage. Car has restarted after a month no problems.

On 06/02/2018 at 12:07 PM, Toddie said:

As @Greenman i use a CTEK MXS 5 , on my 986 i use cigarette lighter adapter (which on a 986 is live with the ignition off) and route the cable out of the n/s door where there is a drain hole/recess  in the rubber door seal.

On my 986 the cigarette lighter switches off with the ignition.

14 hours ago, Darkstar said:

On my 986 the cigarette lighter switches off with the ignition.

I’m not sure how it works on the 986, but on the 981 the sockets detect if there is a reverse current and stay active.  986 may not be this intelligent though. However it’s easy enough to either connect each time to the battery or just rig up a connector just under the edge of the bonnet that you can access when required.

The lighter sockets work as long as they detect current within 10-15 mins of the ignition being switched off.

Once charging .................. all is good on the 981 and the lighter sockets work as a charge point

• 2 months later...

I agree with the posts about the CTEK charger - i have the MXS7 and though expensive, it has been solid and reliable. I have bought the connect eyelet connection as well which allows for quick connection / disconnection. The background drain on the battery from the car alarm flattens the standard battery more than on my other cars. The charger stays connected to the battery trickle charging through-out the winter and the battery has now lasted me 9 years. 

Worth noting that the Porsche supplied battery were useless (this is on my 986). Well worth investing in a new after-market battery which is what i did.

I have the ctek one which reconditions your battery, it’s left on the 924 constantly and will only swap over to the Boxster if I know it will not be used for 2wks plus.

30 minutes ago, Eddy555 said:

My car lives outside and I can easily trail a lead to my garage to a trickle charger, but I'm not clear on the best route to get the charging wire out of the car. Has anyone found a neat solution?

I use a fairly thin wind up extension lead that pops out of the bottom right hand corner of the frunk. It comes out right on the corner and allows me to shut the frunk properly.

On 05/02/2018 at 9:18 PM, rowbos said:

I like to put my car on a charger (CTEK) if I know I’m not going to use it for a couple of weeks.  Just so it’s ready for action when I do go to use it.  I’ve never had a battery issue. And don’t want one! ?

Do you use the rear 12v recepticle or the midway one?

Read somewhere the rear is always live, and the midway one switches off after 15 minutes?

I ask as plan to order a ctek conditioner/charger and fit a blutooth receiver so the kids can stream music direct from the phone.

Archived