Installed Carnewal GT exhaust on a 2011 Spyder. A few comments on installation

Ale_72

Finally, the Carnewal exhaust is on.

I will not comment (well, yes, maybe just a sentence at the end) the exhaust itself, but I would like to share the pain and the joy of installation.

Unfortunately, I was not thinking to the report while doing (well, watching my friend doing) the job so very very few pics.

Car: I am referring to a 2011 boxster spyder with 50.000km (I think that age and km are important to. Say since the biggest issue could be related to this). I have no clue if for “regular” boxsters something is different.

Time required: by reading the various internet reports I was expecting 1.5h max. It turned out it took double of the time, 3h.

Removing wheels and lifting the car is a must.

IMG_2960.jpg

In theory the job was looking simple and straightforward: unscrew the following bits: 22, 13, 16, 18 and slide out the exhaust. Job done.

Greenshot_2018-03-11_08.37.50.png

Greenshot_2018-03-11_08.11.46.png

Of course, reality looks different <_<

No problem at all with all screws related to the exhaust tips. There was some rust but only superficial so easy job.

But then when we tried to work on the catalyst screws they all, 6 out of 6, snapped off.

Funny part is that these nuts are not “normal” nuts, but are like these (I struggled finding a pic and I know only how to name them in colloquial Italian).

Greenshot_2018-03-11_08.18.56.png

(image courtesy of: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/626961-broken-bolt-off-cat-converter-need-help.html)

It took almost one hour to hammer them out (around 20 min for the first 5 all together, and more than 30 min for the last 1, miserable job). 

Then we thought job was done, but no.

The exhaust cannot easily slide out because of bumper shape, and even if you separate the two sides by taking out the central exhaust pipes, it does not come.

So we found no other way than removing the outer part of item no. 10 (easy task anyhow, two bolts) of the second scheme above.

Once done, it was easy to take the original exhaust out.

Here it is.

IMG_2961.jpg

Meanwhile I had another exhaust sent to Carnewal for GT modification.

The exaust that came back looks exactly as the original. Only visible difference is a small welding. Unfortunately no pic taken.

Exhaust sound

As said in the beginning I will not comment the exhaust sound since I have always been told that I should wait a couple of hundred km to get the final note.

For now (but again, I did only 5km) I almost noticed no difference from my old one.

Let things take their course.

yes you have to bed it in, my Carnewal seems to still be getting better after 2 years +

Enjoy.

Guvs.

PS

"Should of gone to Gerts"  :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Ale_72 said:

Funny part is that these nuts are not “normal” nuts, but are like these (I struggled finding a pic and I know only how to name them in colloquial Italian)

I would call them "Stud Bolts". On my Westfield those are used to hold the wheel to the hub and I recently replaced mine for longer ones. For me removal was easy with a big hammer.

I would certainly say my exhaust is growing on me all the time - it has just started popping now :D

4 minutes ago, John K said:

I would certainly say my exhaust is growing on me all the time - it has just started popping now :D

I'd love that. How many miles have you put on it until now, with the Carnewal?

5 minutes ago, Ale_72 said:

I'd love that. How many miles have you put on it until now, with the Carnewal?

300 miles with another longish trip today. A good reason for you to do a few trips round the Alps :thumbsup_still:

I couldn't tell if my PSE was on or off for a year or more, despite the light on the button. I think I was listening for a change between friendly F6 and Santa Pod V8, and only realised eventually it was a lot more subtle than that.

I agree. The sweet f6 ("Heidi - the winded car," as my wife calls it) will never make to the mighty noise of the v8 exhaust but, for instance, the PSE of my previous 997S was noticeable.

But still, I just installed it and I am sure it will get better. And if it doesn't it will anyhow give me a lot of joy driving it with the hope of increasing the noise level.

So it's a win win scenario. And I love the fact that does not drone at all.

2 hours ago, John K said:

A good reason for you to do a few trips round the Alps :thumbsup_still:

If the weather is nice, early morning on 31.03 or 01.04, I'd like to go here:

1920px-The_Stelvio_pass.jpg

Uff... bad news on the Stelvio pass. It usually re-open mid May :(

I will find another solution for the Easter break. Too yummy occasion having one day off and the wife far away not to go for some proper drive.

Are you local to Stelvio or travelling to go there. Stelvio is a bucket list place to tick off and a picture post card but isn't much of a driving road at all. 

Fair enough. Might as well detour via Monza too. You can get your car on some of the old banks and circuit and get on to the main circuit on foot too. 

15 hours ago, Ale_72 said:

Uff... bad news on the Stelvio pass. It usually re-open mid May :(

I will find another solution for the Easter break. Too yummy occasion having one day off and the wife far away not to go for some proper drive.

I'd only be concerned that being the Easter break several thousand other petrolheads will have the same idea.

23 hours ago, Ale_72 said:

If the weather is nice, early morning on 31.03 or 01.04, I'd like to go here:

1920px-The_Stelvio_pass.jpg

That picture has just had the same effect on me as a picture of Charlize Theron.

Actually and rather worryingly, more of an effect...

The exhaust looks very similar to the 981 exhaust, if it makes you feel any better I had the exhaust replaced on mine after just 2 years and three of the exhaust studs snapped, also yes part 10 must come off (easy) and it may be possible with the wheels on but very difficult to get at the bolts (especially on one side) if you leave them on. A local garage did mine but still took over 2 hrs.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo...

This morning was the first day I I had the chance of driving from when I installed the Carnewal exhaust.

I am pretty sure that it will change/improve again since already now was different from the installation day (when I drove it for a few kms).

The volume of the exhaust did not change dramatically from stock, I think.

On the other end, the tone is now much more interesting. It's more GT3 style, with a nice metallic note. No drone at all (and this was really a must for me).

No burping (unfortunately, at least not yet) but a good result.

Need to drive it more :D

A pleasure to jump into it with no roof and with 8 celsius.

2 hours ago, Ale_72 said:

The volume of the exhaust did not change dramatically from stock, I think.

On the other end, the tone is now much more interesting.

That is what I found and was very happy with that result - not too loud, but interesting.

I really do hope my descriptions of it matched what you are experiencing and there was no 'false advertising'

Mine now has had about 500 miles on it and I really do think it has mellowed and settled in nicely, I really do like it.

8 minutes ago, John K said:

I really do hope my descriptions of it matched what you are experiencing and there was no 'false advertising'.

It was perfect. Now looking forward to put another couple of hundreds km to hear the final result.

I'd not have minded a little bit louder, but it's already much much better than stock.

Archived