Help - 986S has just dumped all of its coolant on the floor

Saxosim

3 hours ago, ooid said:

Have you guys checked the coolant tank and than oil & Oil filter? If they mixed together, you probably need engine rebuild. The air-lock usually happens if you put new coolant or bleed the system improperly...

Erh okay thanks.  My nerves are shot enough this weekend worrying about what if this and what if that to be honest, fingers crossed all is fine as I don’t have the money to rebuild the engine.

The car was fully serviced the week before the issue occurred and has only driven about 5 miles since then from taking it home and putting it away including a short run in traffic from getting it out on Friday morning again to getting to work so maybe the garage had removed the coolant cap during the service to check the levels or something and didn’t replace it properly which may have allowed air to get in. I didn’t notice anything when I checked it before going to the garage but it could have been on at an angle or something I suppose.

The garage have my car now as mentioned and the mechanic doesn’t seem worried about anything otherwise he would have mentioned it I am sure and as I have known him for years now I trust him greatly.  He has also owned a few Boxster’s and a 911 and knows Porsche’s well.

He is going to inspect the water pump tomorrow and check everything over as well as replacing the thermostat so I am sure everything will be fine.  It hasn’t missed a beat in the time I have owned it so hope it continues this way once fixed tomorrow.

I will be taking it for a good 30 to 40 minute drive tomorrow early evening once I get it back just to check everything seems okay and the temp behaves itself etc.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Saxosim said:

Erh okay thanks.  My nerves are shot enough this weekend worrying about what if this and what if that to be honest, fingers crossed all is fine as I don’t have the money to rebuild the engine.

The car was fully serviced the week before the issue occurred and has only driven about 5 miles since then from taking it home and putting it away including a short run in traffic from getting it out on Friday morning again to getting to work so maybe the garage had removed the coolant cap during the service to check the levels or something and didn’t replace it properly which may have allowed air to get in. I didn’t notice anything when I checked it before going to the garage but it could have been on at an angle or something I suppose.

The garage have my car now as mentioned and the mechanic doesn’t seem worried about anything otherwise he would have mentioned it I am sure and as I have known him for years now I trust him greatly.  He has also owned a few Boxster’s and a 911 and knows Porsche’s well.

He is going to inspect the water pump tomorrow and check everything over as well as replacing the thermostat so I am sure everything will be fine.  It hasn’t missed a beat in the time I have owned it so hope it continues this way once fixed tomorrow.

I will be taking it for a good 30 to 40 minute drive tomorrow early evening once I get it back just to check everything seems okay and the temp behaves itself etc.

Fingers crossed it's something simple mate!

3 hours ago, Saxosim said:

Erh okay thanks.  My nerves are shot enough this weekend worrying about what if this and what if that to be honest, fingers crossed all is fine as I don’t have the money to rebuild the engine. The garage have my car now as mentioned and the mechanic doesn’t seem worried about anything otherwise he would have mentioned it I am sure and as I have known him for years now I trust him greatly.  He has also owned a few Boxster’s and a 911 and knows Porsche’s well.

Forget about garages/indies even OPC techs do not bother looking at the obvious first, as one would never assume porsche would have intermix issue. My old car let all its coolant just after a few days that she had a major service at the OPC. We thought it was water pump/thermostat (obvious reason) but after heavy inspection they found that its been mixing water and oil for sometime. After the rebuild, I had water-coolant dumped twice, due to air-lock in the system and improper bleeding... Once it's fixed; it's been water-tight really, I had driven in quite extreme traffic and hot locations in Europe but never over-heated. My point is, if your cooling system is tip-top condition (which should be), these cars never leak. If they do leak, one has to inspect carefully. 

I know it sounds a bit hassle and all but do not worry, all old cars come with issues and its their characters, shame these things could be a little bit pricey than others :D 

My 986 spat its coolant all over a F1 garage floor at Spa a few years ago - we let it "calm down dear" topped it up then a few laps at 7/10s and back in - another top up and it was fine after that, for years until the oil heater exchanger split is water jacket in Modena.

General consensus was that air in the system somehow altered the "effective level" in the expansion tank and a massive pool of coolant was the result.  The coolant loss saw the air pulled through the system and with a top up it was all good after that.

Been thorough the drama queen diagnosis too many times now - too often it is something simple that needs a bit of time and thinking through.  

If a garage you trust are relaxed at this point I'd be inclined to go with their intuition at this time.

1 minute ago, map said:

My 986 spat its coolant all over a F1 garage floor at Spa a few years ago - we let it "calm down dear" topped it up then a few laps at 7/10s and back in - another top up and it was fine after that, for years until the oil heater exchanger split is water jacket in Modena.

General consensus was that air in the system somehow altered the "effective level" in the expansion tank and a massive pool of coolant was the result.  The coolant loss saw the air pulled through the system and with a top up it was all good after that.

Been thorough the drama queen diagnosis too many times now - too often it is something simple that needs a bit of time and thinking through.  

If a garage you trust are relaxed at this point I'd be inclined to go with their intuition at this time.

Thanks yes that’s what I am hoping, as it’s been running perfectly hoping it’s just something simple.  My mechanic didn’t seem concerned and I have been using this garage which he owns for approx 14 years now.  Fingers crossed 

Well I am pleased to say that my boxster is now fine and I have got it back again.  Was a bit of a pig in the end as he thought it was all finished but it had an airlock in the system so took a bit longer to sort but it’s great now.  

Thanks goodness for that :D

22 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Well I am pleased to say that my boxster is now fine and I have got it back again.  Was a bit of a pig in the end as he thought it was all finished but it had an airlock in the system so took a bit longer to sort but it’s great now.  

Good news?, so was it just an airlock, or did they replace the thermostat?

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Good news?, so was it just an airlock, or did they replace the thermostat?

Thanks, the old thermostat didn’t look great when removed so it seemed to be that as all fine now once they removed the airlock after replacing all of the antifreeze etc.

2 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Thanks, the old thermostat didn’t look great when removed so it seemed to be that as all fine now once they removed the airlock after replacing all of the antifreeze etc.

Glad I swapped my thermostat when the pump went last year. Hadn't realised they could cause such issues. Mind you, it did manage 140k?

3 hours ago, Saxosim said:

Hurrah!  Good news.  Ready for the Borders ?

Archived