Help - 986S has just dumped all of its coolant on the floor

Saxosim

Porsche one is VERY expensive  ! I can't recall if it was twice or three times the price of ECP.  the latter do a cheapy and a moderate priced one - I'd recommend the latter at around the £150 mark.  Just ask for a lower temp thermostat, garage will source from ECP anyway.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

They currently have stock at Sunderland and Gateshead stores which I think is near you. It's marked as the OE pump and has the plastic impeller. Will also need the metal gasket, and low temp thermostat is only about £20 and many people recommend it.

Thanks all I shall mention the pump options  when they come back to say I need a water pump.  Really hope they can take a look today as they were going to inspect it then pressure test the system I think.  If it’s not today it will be Monday as they are closed Saturdays.

wouldn't care but the weather is glorious outside too and I was chuffed to bits taking it to work for the first time and was going to head out at lunch for a blast in it too.  Oh well plenty more days for that i guess.

3 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

They currently have stock at Sunderland and Gateshead stores which I think is near you. It's marked as the OE pump and has the plastic impeller.

Thanks I shall mention that one.  Yes not bad with the discount applied.  Thanks yes I am Newcastle upon Tyne so not too far away 

6 hours ago, Patt said:

Molly had 4 pumps in the time I had her 

2 hours ago, Patt said:

I can't recall if it was twice or three times the price of ECP.  the latter do a cheapy and a moderate priced one - I'd recommend the latter at around the £150 mark.  

I am putting 2 and 2 together here Patt!

not sure why people are recommending the low temp stat, thought that was only for 3.4 engines. 

Okay interesting one, the system has been pressure tested and no leaks, the water pump also looks fine and is bone dry.  The garage think it’s likely the thermostat possibly on its way out as they had a 997 recently with the exact same issue.

10 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Okay interesting one, the system has been pressure tested and no leaks, the water pump also looks fine and is bone dry.  The garage think it’s likely the thermostat possibly on its way out as they had a 997 recently with the exact same issue.

Wouldn't really explain why it's p*ssing fluid out. Have you looked yourself and traced the trials back to it's source?

No haven’t looked as it’s in the garage now and I didn’t really have access to start looking underneath to. 

They are going to go over the whole system again on Monday while replacing the thermostat.  They have ordered a low temp one for me from europarts a Wahler which with the discount comes to £55.  Obviously labour on top

4 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

No haven’t looked as it’s in the garage now and I didn’t really have access to start looking underneath to. 

They are going to go over the whole system again on Monday while replacing the thermostat.  They have ordered a low temp one for me from europarts a Wahler which with the discount comes to £55.  Obviously labour on top

I'd do the water pump and belts at the same time, full peace of mind then.

As said by someone earlier, if the coolant cap wasnt on straight on the thread it means the system does not have the right pressure and when you stop the coolant comes up the filler neck and out the overflow which is where the o/s/r wheel is. If it was me and the pump etc look fine, I would get the system filled and bled and see how it goes, making sure the cap is fitted correctly.

Thanks yes they are going to go through it all again on Monday, replace the thermostat then bleed and refill the system with coolant again.

I did ask them if it’s worth changing the pump whilst they are at it and they said there is no point if it’s fine as I say though if they do find anything else wrong Monday then they will sort it but all being well I will have it back on Monday night which is great :D

If pressure test is good then it was probably an air lock in the system. You shouldnt get air into the system though. You can drive, especially in this temperature, without the temp ever getting that high and triggering the high speed fans. 

39 minutes ago, edc said:

If pressure test is good then it was probably an air lock in the system. You shouldnt get air into the system though. You can drive, especially in this temperature, without the temp ever getting that high and triggering the high speed fans. 

Yes the pressure held for a good 30 mins with no drop at all so it could be an airlock like you mentioned I guess.  Going to change the thermostat anyway as can’t hurt just incase and especially when they have seen the same issue before and the owner had been to 3 different garages chasing the fault who either couldn’t find anything and one changed the water pump and hoses and still the issue remained. Fingers crossed this sorts it out anyway.

Will be nice to get it back on Monday 

Just be thankful it is not the coolant tank which is the problem:blink:. As I continue to struggle to do this job, I have just fitted the very same low temp thermostat as you have, along with a Continental belt and Laso pump.

If you're going to change the thermostat & coolant, to be honest you may as well change the water pump too. Will only be the cost of the part & gasket & about 10 minutes of extra labour.

You'll feel a bit stupid if you don't & the pump fails 6/12 months down the line where you'll have to pay the labour again & replace the expensive coolant. Plus it will be a common failure point sorted & ticked off the list.

20 hours ago, Tex24v said:

Yeah seem to remember I was quoted well over £300 for the official Porsche Part when my last water pump went in 2016.

Most people go for a middle of the road one pricewise.

I paid 400 ish for official pump, poly belt and full coolant change at my local indy when mine went... around 50k on the clock at the time

10 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

If you're going to change the thermostat & coolant, to be honest you may as well change the water pump too. Will only be the cost of the part & gasket & about 10 minutes of extra labour.

You'll feel a bit stupid if you don't & the pump fails 6/12 months down the line where you'll have to pay the labour again & replace the expensive coolant. Plus it will be a common failure point sorted & ticked off the list.

Thanks yes fair point 

59 minutes ago, Patt said:

And the pump and thermostat share the same gasket 

No they don't. They are at 90 degrees to each other. ? The original pump gasket did cover the pump and another aperture. You can tell if you have the original pump fitted as you have to cut away the original gasket from the crank case. You trim the new gasket for a new pump. 

Have you guys checked the coolant tank and than oil & Oil filter? If they mixed together, you probably need engine rebuild. The air-lock usually happens if you put new coolant or bleed the system improperly...

Archived