Help - 986S has just dumped all of its coolant on the floor

Saxosim

Morning All

Well ehatbstarted as an exciting time taking my 986 to work for the first time has now ended an absolute nightmare. I literally parked on the parking space switched off the engine and as I got out heard running water, all of the coolant was coming out at an alarming rate next to the drivers rear wheel :(

I am going to try and call a garage to help, anyone experienced this before, any ideas could a hose of come off or something, seems a bit rapid to dump the lot in about 1 minute ?

Any help or advise massively appreciated.  I assume I will need to get it recovered too on a flat bed.

Gutted isn’t even close to how I feel now 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A failed water pump lets out water at the point. Was there any noise?

I think the overflow exits there too. Overheating?

Is there coolant in the boot (under the lining)? If so likely to be the header tank split.

15 minutes ago, Boxob said:

A failed water pump lets out water at the point. Was there any noise?

I think the overflow exits there too. Overheating?

Is there coolant in the boot (under the lining)? If so likely to be the header tank split.

Sounds exactly like what happened after i parked up when the pump went,  under a minute to pretty much dump the lot on the floor. 

I wouldn't discount the water pump going again, some of the replacement units don't seem to last that well. A simple check to do is to remove the engine access panel behind the seats and check for movement in the water pump pulley. The bearings go and then water spews out.

20 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Hiya no noise at all and it was driving nicely.  The water pump was also replaced by Mick the last owner a few years ago too.  I will go and check the boot liner thanks.

Doesn't have to be, mine showed no signs before it went apart from a puff of steam from the drivers vent just before i got home. 

Tough luck, but it could have happrned in many a worse place. This time next week it will most likely be all sorted, the sun will be shining and you will be enjoying your car again. OEM pump is around £200, I think for a 986, plus fitting, just had mine done during a service as it was weeping.

yes you can move it when it's cooled down ie park it in a better spot, but I wouldn't recommend driving it far or for any period of time - things tend to get hot real quick

1 hour ago, Saxosim said:

If it is the water pump will moving the car at all damage anything?

Also if it is water pump what sort of money would I be looking at to replace it?  

Thanks for the advice everyone 

Just over £100 for the pump. Add a thermostat into that and you might as well put the "upgraded" one in while you're there. Then add the thousands of litres of coolant you'll need and labour (2-3 hours) and that will be the bill. 

Check the filler cap area. If it's wet at the overflow then the cap has vented because there is excess pressure in the system. It could also be that the cap isn't screwed on properly. Most likely is that after a drive and then parking up the coolant flow stops but the temp continues to increase a bit. This builds the pressure and it will find the weakest point. If the expansion tank hasn't been replaced then I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem. 

Hopefully they will look at it today and give me the verdict.  If not it will be locked inside their garage safe and sound.  I am pleased thinking about it that it went now really and not in 2 weeks when on the border run or not when I was on the motorway at speed.  At least there is time now to sort it.  I ran it slowly to the garage after putting water in and the temp didn’t go above normal of 80 to 90 degrees which is a bit odd.

8 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Hopefully they will look at it today and give me the verdict.  If not it will be locked inside their garage safe and sound.  I am pleased thinking about it that it went now really and not in 2 weeks when on the border run or not when I was on the motorway at speed.  At least there is time now to sort it.  I ran it slowly to the garage after putting water in and the temp didn’t go above normal of 80 to 90 degrees which is a bit odd.

The pump might still be operating but the bearing shot inside it. That means it will still operate but at an angle beating the impeller against the block, hopefully it's not that as there could be a whole load of plastic fan bits floating round your water system now. 

45 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Thanks fingers crossed they come back to me today and it’s something simple 

The fact that you were able to refill and drive without water p*ssing out would make me think it's the water pump bearing that has failed and the coolant loss was due to the usual pressure buildup after you turn the engine off. I got my Laso pump on a deal from ECP for £150 as didn't want to take a risk with the cheaper ones as I tend to drive my car enthusiastically and reckon the cheaper pumps can't take the high revs. I would have thought 2-3 hours labour should get it done. Good luck?

Thanks yes I will make sure they fit a good one if that is the diagnoses when they come back to me.  I don’t think it’s the expansion tank as there was no water loss since plus the boot floor was dry.  There was some water vapour on the boot lid where it must have been under pressure this morning when it dumped its coolant though.  The cap is also the newer version with 04 on it

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Get a pump with plastic impeller, don’t go for metal. 

Okay thanks the garage we’re talking about ordering one from Porsche if it does need one, what type would this be or are there better ones available?  If anyone has a link to some good ones and also an updated thermostat I can send the links to the garage to order.  Thanks 

They usually use europarts for most of their car parts, so they make a decent one quality or better water pump?

Archived