Road Rash

Happy Days

I washed the car yesterday and while drying it off, I noticed a patch that I thought I'd missed with the power washer. On closer inspection though, it turns out to be lots of 'road rash' on the outsweeping panel just ahead of the rear wheels. Anyone else noticed this on their cars? Mines a Nov 16 model with 13k on it.

just thinking out loud here .. isn't there some helicopter tape or bra that can be fitted to this section and protect the paintwork?

Yeh you can’t really do much about this as it’s primarily what gets thrown up by the front wheels, you will find a similar section behind the rear wheels on the lower bumper (not really visible though). 911 always had a factory fit protective film ahead of their rear wheels, Boxster could do with something similar.  Of course you could always get a ppf fitted to these areas. I considered front bumper and side skirts/sills/rocker covers ppf but even that was quite pricy.  I have few chips on the bonnet and front bumper as I always give the car in front plenty of room but these side areas are a challenge.

I used to get it on the 981 which had Pirelli PZero tyres. Don`t seem to get it on the GTS with Eagle tyres. Chris from Excel wheels reckons Pirellis are renowned for flicking up small stones hence the chipping issue on Carrera S wheels in hyper silver.

nope, but it's not that bit that takes the most hits either.

I have seen clear and black aftermarket options on ebay similar to the above for a bout £18 I think.

Archived