reassign tip buttons to radio control

RajB

Hi everyone, first post  - lurking for a couple of months after a bit of an impulse purchase! A 3.2s tip. 

Committed many car buying sins - bought it in the dark ( a black car looks amazing in the dark - who knew!), didn't really check the history, etc etc etc

owner swore it was 'mint' but it turns out my mint and his version are quite different - it's a pretty clean car though and mechanically it does seem to have been maintained so I've no big concerns there.  I have the apparently called 'cat-sick yellow' interior , a moniker i'm refusing to accept !

I have never ever been into modding or really tinkering with cars I have liked them just factory, but with this seems to be begging for both small improvements and little naughty tweaks so despite needing to spend the money & time on my house, I have a (growing) list of improvements I'd like to make.. 

Fit heated seat elements - done

Build an interface to run the heated seats from factory switches - built but not working correctly yet :-/ 

Fit cheap android chinese double din h/u into a dremelled aftermarket fascia - done 

Fit sub - done

Have scratched rubbery plastics restored - in progress

Repair fag burns in carpet - done

Replace drivers bolster leather - done

Have leather cleaned and possibly stained - partly done

Fit flappy paddles to steering wheel - in progress

Have the exhaust bypass thing done (read about on here, nice!)

Fit bi-xenon aftermarket projector lenses 

Have alloys repainted - done

Have the paintwork polished by a bodyshop

Touch up the calipers and replace decals

....oh, and do the roof relay mod so I can lower it anytime

So, sorry for the long post but I also have a question. I want to add the flappy paddles to the steering wheel and wondered if I could re-appropriate the tip buttons to control volume ..and something on the stereo. Does anyone know if there are any spare connections on the slidey steering wheel ones (sorry I don't know what they're called)? 

Cheers, 

Raj.

IMAG0024.jpg

canva-photo-editor (1).png

Welcome and we'll done on getting so many things sorted already on the car. 

Look out for the meets and Porsche runs

HI dude, I've done mine with the paddles but kept my front buttons live, just spliced into the exsisting wires, but you could cut them instead so the fronts don't work the gearchange and that would leave you with the buttons that have an up and down on them anyway to be used for volume if you like!!

The wiring for the paddles are as thus.....red and common ground black for down and brown and common ground black again for down, use the left front button for this, the wiring is easier, it's different to the right one, don't know why, it just is????

here's how it looks

BUGGER, just seen your pics, yours is the 986 not the 987, so the wiring will be different I think???

z15f5kJ.jpg

and here's the wheel and paddles installed

VgscRA1.jpg

eKyvJH1.jpg

Hey, thanks for the welcome ! 

Yeah checking out some meets could be good 

Hey headless , yeah 986 ! Thanks for your info , wouldn't be surprised if the wiring is the same however , what I really want to know is whether I can run two or even four extra wires from the s.wheel via the brass ring in the steering wheel to the car (for connection to the radio ) . This cos I can't get a Savannah tan non-tip steering wheel and I'm too tight to get a black one , have it recovered and painted to match. I can understand why you kept your buttons because they look okay ; not so much the 986 buttons IMO ! At least if they were doing something useful I would tolerate their existence . 

Nice paddle job btw, did you do it yourself ? 

3 hours ago, RajB said:

I have the apparently called 'cat-sick yellow' interior , a moniker i'm refusing to accept !

Savannah owners of the world unite! I love my cat sick yellow interior. Although on balance I'll admit that I prefer red and dark brown (cocoa?), I'd not change it for any of the other colours!

Savanna sounds like a song that Santana would have written, complete with a guitar rift in the middle ;-) 

2 hours ago, RajB said:

Hey, thanks for the welcome ! 

Yeah checking out some meets could be good 

Hey headless , yeah 986 ! Thanks for your info , wouldn't be surprised if the wiring is the same however , what I really want to know is whether I can run two or even four extra wires from the s.wheel via the brass ring in the steering wheel to the car (for connection to the radio ) . This cos I can't get a Savannah tan non-tip steering wheel and I'm too tight to get a black one , have it recovered and painted to match. I can understand why you kept your buttons because they look okay ; not so much the 986 buttons IMO ! At least if they were doing something useful I would tolerate their existence . 

Nice paddle job btw, did you do it yourself ? 

Yeah, and I'm no expert, haha, had a faff getting the airbag off, it's a pain in the ar*e, haha!!

So I got the wheel off & for anyone wondering the same thing , my wheel had one spare wire on the tiptronic connector - very smart thinking by the Germans I thought . Not enough to do what I wanted though , oh well ..

Hey Ninja ! I used to have a 636 (if your name refers to the kawazakis). It was a cool bike. 

Anyway , yes an impressive list but each step has been harder than I gave it credit for .. I melted one of my headlights in the oven yesterday so I've got my tail between my legs for sure today . 

I built a relay based interface that sat between the factory switch and the relay that came with the seat element . I had to modify the factory switch to get an independent connection to the red LED . this all worked fine - low , yellow led, red high and back for off, so to the relay arrangement (ugly, but functional). However , when connected to the seat element it did not behave as the aftermarket switch did and I could only get one element to work . I'm afraid at that point I put it on pause as I reached the end of my know-how. I think I'm close but I need a circuit designed I think . I've put some free ads out there calling for a retired electronics engineer but nothing back yet . 

I wonder if there's any electronics guys on here ?

Anyway . It feels like its factory 1 me 0 at the moment ! Baah.

Yes I did fit heated seats to my 986 but I used s/h seats with the factory heating element already fitted. I would recommend this if you can find the seats. I sold my non-heated ones for almost the same as the heated ones cost!

The problem that you're going to have is that the aftermarket heaters will almost certainly have a simple latching on/off switch and maybe a relay. The factory switches are non-latching (momentary) and you push one side for on and again for lower heating temperature and the other side for off.

You will need to construct a simple latching circuit. Off the top of my head this should work. When you press 'on' the top relay switches putting a +ve on the seat heater. It also loops this power back to its own coil via the normally closed contact of the lower relay and the diode and keeps it latched.

When you press 'off' the lower relay is energised and breaks the feedback loop removing the power from the top relay and switching it off. The diode is to stop the voltage at the switch trying to power the seats directly as it won't be men enough to carry the current.

This will only switch one stage of heating and also won't light the LED. But it should be pretty simple to make it do the latter by taking a feed from the +ve seat supply and driving the LED with it.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY3Zm

Hey ! Thanks Eddie , well described .. yep buying the seats with them fitted was a good move ! Essentially you've described what I've assembled ; a latching relay which controls a momentary relay for doing the heavy load on/off , and a changeover relay for the low/high .

I'm sure the electronics engineer I'm meeting will have a far more elegant solution than what I now call the 'beast' - here's hoping ..

Thanks for your input !

12 hours ago, RajB said:

Hey Ninja ! I used to have a 636 (if your name refers to the kawazakis). It was a cool bike. 

Anyway , yes an impressive list but each step has been harder than I gave it credit for .. I melted one of my headlights in the oven yesterday so I've got my tail between my legs for sure today . 

I built a relay based interface that sat between the factory switch and the relay that came with the seat element . I had to modify the factory switch to get an independent connection to the red LED . this all worked fine - low , yellow led, red high and back for off, so to the relay arrangement (ugly, but functional). However , when connected to the seat element it did not behave as the aftermarket switch did and I could only get one element to work . I'm afraid at that point I put it on pause as I reached the end of my know-how. I think I'm close but I need a circuit designed I think . I've put some free ads out there calling for a retired electronics engineer but nothing back yet . 

I wonder if there's any electronics guys on here ?

Anyway . It feels like its factory 1 me 0 at the moment ! Baah.

Hi RajB

You are correct with my nickname,   I had the 599 on a 02 plate though.  I looked at trying to build an interface for aftermarket heated seats and the original switches.  That's as far as I got though

Phill

Archived