Rear tyre life 2.7

EagleStar

Just wondering on average (I know it all depends on how heavy your foot is and how you driver her) how long rear tyres last for mileage wise? I'm presuming with the engine nearer the back they tend to wear out a bit quicker than on front engined cars.

I had a couple of Toyota MR2 years ago -please don't shoot me- and they ate tyres like anything. I regularly used to get through a set of Yokohama in less than 6,000 Miles. I may have been a bit more reckless in my youth however.

Thanks for your comments. Just trying to plan for things in advance.

EagleStar

Makes sense. I guess I will find out in the coming weeks / months.....

1 hour ago, EagleStar said:

I'm presuming with the engine nearer the back they tend to wear out a bit quicker than on front engined cars.

I would say (with sensible driving) same sort of life as any car, when you think about most Cars are front wheel drive with the engine up front over the drive wheels so same as a Boxster only back to front :blink: if that makes sense.

Guvs.

Makes sense. Thanks 

Just for a rough measure, 986 2.7 on 17", I had 10,000 miles out of a pair of rears - Pirelli PZero Rosso. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's, which seemed to wear a bit slower. Of course it depends on driving style, and where you live. FYI Milton Keynes roundabouts eat front tyres!

I bet the roundabouts are fun though! Thanks for the info

1 minute ago, Topbox said:

By contrast on a 986 on 17" I had the best part of 20,000 miles out of a pair Continental Sport Contact 

That’s better than I used to get on my diesel VW Golf. 

I somehow get the feeling I won’t get near close on the 987

Miles is one thing, but if it's a weekend car it can be age that can get them before tread depth.  Mine are long overdue to change but still have several mm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 9:58 PM, Topbox said:

By contrast on a 986 on 17" I had the best part of 20,000 miles out of a pair Continental Sport Contact 

I got about 15k out of the same tyres, 987 on 18” rims. There was some wear left but grip had been lost due to age. 

I'm at 22K in my 986 on 16" with Bridgestone S02. Still plenty on the rear but the fronts are about ready to be replaced. They have suffered from some feathering though which has doubtless increased the wear rate. I tend to drive with vigour only occasionally.

That’s a lot better than I would have thought. Good info from everyone, thanks!

Archived