Dreadful noise - anyone able to help with diagnosis?

MH82

Ok, so been to the south of France for 10 days, generally the car didn't miss a beat, however the steering wheel is now making a clicking sound when turned a few degrees in either direction. Having just had the power steering done and cruise installed at the OPC am I relatively safe on taking a steering related issue to them as if to suggest that it has come about from their work? 

Don't want to fall into the OPC trap of another nasty bill quite so soon.

perhaps someone has experienced this before and knows what it might be?

Is it just a single click as you turn it past a certain angle, or a continuous clicking while the steering is being used? Either way, I'd expect the OPC to charge as it's a month since the work was done and this problem has only just come to light. It may be related to the work they did, but proving it, is another matter. Much will depend on the attitude of the OPC, but judging from your earlier comment, it's not looking good. Hopefully we can identify a likely cause on here if you can give a bit more info as this will make discussions with the OPC less one sided.

It seems to be two clicks around the dead ahead when you put steering lock on, so if you go right then one click, if you go left one click, but if you went from right to left (or vice Versa) then two clicks

Does it come from around the steering wheel, or further into the car (forward from steering rack, rear from PS pump)...?

If the former it sounds like something petty like something is catching as it turns - just needs reassembling more carefully.  Maybe.

When they added cruise they would have added a four stalk switch unit and replaced you old 3 stalk one. It sounds as if there is a problem with the new part or its installation so I would seek the OPC to rectify it.

It sounds and feels like it's coming from the steering wheel, almost like it's not installed properly, or the stalk has an issue.

sounds like I should be relatively safe to go back to the OPC.

i'm wary that in the future I think I'll need a suspension refresh as there are a few clunks, but would like to wait until next spring for that rather than have it off the road during the nice weather again.

Sadly not otherwise I'd be straight there. Will look to use eporsch in the future for servicing and known issues, just difficult to get in there for troubleshooting.

have asked the OPC about the clicking seeing as they fitted the cruise

have you tried holding the indicator assembly while turning the wheel to see if the click coincides with a movement of the stalk? Maybe they haven't secured the new stalk properly or it's worked loose. Could it be something to do with the mechanism that cancels the indicator? Does it click at the same time the indicator cancels?

When I reassembled my dash after fitting cruise and some other stuff I managed to refit the 'clock spring' in a slightly different position on the column, which caused the steering wheel to bind on it slightly making a clicking noise. All I had to do was release the pinch bolt on the stalks and move them down a 2 to 3mm and the problem went away. This was on a 986 but the 987 is probably similar.

Archived