First drive, 718

Scubaregs

Had a test drive of a Boxster 718 today, first time in a Porsche and first time driving a turbo.

Totally blown away by it, an absolutely amazing car and the PDK transmission is an utter gem. Salesman drove first, rather spiritedly then I got to take over. Driven MR2s for years so no stranger to mid engine RWD, but definitely a stranger to 300hp turbo, so although I was encouraged to open it up I was fairly gentle with it.

Sound was lovely, handling sublime (though I was hardly pushing it) and plenty of power for public roads. Totally smitten. Talked some figures generally for my GT86 and felt dealers starting point was fair, though as a tighter than a ducks bottom Scotsman I will be haggling hard if I do decide to buy.

Holiday to Barbados in 3 weeks and whilst we are planning to look at property whilst there it is highly unlikely we will be in a position to purchase just now, in which case I'll be looking in earnest on our return. 55 in August and funds will be available then.

Test drive was with Porsche Glasgow, Porsche Edinburgh have offered me a car for the afternoon to take the gf out in when we come back so will almost certainly be doing that. 

Still buzzing.  

I went to Jaguar last week end, they did not take the bait, asked difference between 2.0 and 3.0 F Type... no offers of drives, loans or explanation.

Difference between the 981 and 718... at 4:30pm, come in first thing in the morning with your license and we shall ahem one waiting for you. Simply told me when they were closing. Questions answered, engine sound is different, not in too bad a way, performance is breath taking on public roads. Steering is lighter. Mind made up! Then down to figures. Bought by 4:30pm.

54 minutes ago, Kevan said:

I went to Jaguar last week end, they did not take the bait, asked difference between 2.0 and 3.0 F Type... no offers of drives, loans or explanation.

Difference between the 981 and 718... at 4:30pm, come in first thing in the morning with your license and we shall ahem one waiting for you. Simply told me when they were closing. Questions answered, engine sound is different, not in too bad a way, performance is breath taking on public roads. Steering is lighter. Mind made up! Then down to figures. Bought by 4:30pm.

I've test driven a 3.0 F Type - not a patch on a Boxster 981S.

Looks fantastic but drives like a saloon car with its roof chopped off, it is no sports car, more a GT.

981S bought!

5 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I've test driven a 3.0 F Type - not a patch on a Boxster 981S.

Looks fantastic but drives like a saloon car with its roof chopped off, it is no sports car, more a GT.

981S bought!

Can't even believe you contemplated !Rob??!!??

5 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

You local then Roddy? Aye, not daft at all. Were you happy with after sales service?

Yes darkest Lanarkshire - yes I was happy as I had a problem with one of the wheels & they sorted it with no hassle at all - even got a 718 as a loaner 

17 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Can't even believe you contemplated !Rob??!!??

daughter has F Type convertible, noise is first-rate, comfort and looks the same. I agree a GT. I was perhaps more tempted by the hard top.

2 hours ago, RoddyT said:

Yes darkest Lanarkshire - yes I was happy as I had a problem with one of the wheels & they sorted it with no hassle at all - even got a 718 as a loaner 

Good to know, thanks.

Still can't stop thinking about it. Would cost more than my first flat, which was in the west end of Glasgow (Gulp) 

Long time staring at the lid though, so probably will happen.

Go to Abbey Motorsport near Oxted in Surrey and get your GT86 supercharged. I did when I had mine and it was such a hoot on those skinny tyres. Ultimate drift car and with H & S exhaust sounded the dogs ! You won`t regret it ! and its cheaper. 

8 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Good to know, thanks.

Still can't stop thinking about it. Would cost more than my first flat, which was in the west end of Glasgow (Gulp) 

Long time staring at the lid though, so probably will happen.

Yep I had to be really selfish and buy it! Mine is a daily driver so I get a big smile on my face every day.

I dealt with John Millar at Glasgow - it is worth keeping an eye on their stock and then compare UK wide before going in to the dealership - I had visited intending on getting rough prices as I was wanting to get a car in March but ended up buying on my visit at end of January - also worthwhile going in towards end of the month as  well as they have monthly targets and may be needing one sale to get their bonus!

3 hours ago, GTB981 said:

Go to Abbey Motorsport near Oxted in Surrey and get your GT86 supercharged. I did when I had mine and it was such a hoot on those skinny tyres. Ultimate drift car and with H & S exhaust sounded the dogs ! You won`t regret it ! and its cheaper. 

I have the Aero so it is not on primacys. 

No intention of supercharging or putting on a turbo.

2 hours ago, RoddyT said:

Yep I had to be really selfish and buy it! Mine is a daily driver so I get a big smile on my face every day.

I dealt with John Millar at Glasgow - it is worth keeping an eye on their stock and then compare UK wide before going in to the dealership - I had visited intending on getting rough prices as I was wanting to get a car in March but ended up buying on my visit at end of January - also worthwhile going in towards end of the month as  well as they have monthly targets and may be needing one sale to get their bonus!

Yes, constantly checking UK wide, Glasgow does seem more expensive than similar cars down south.

Heading to Altrincham 3 weeks today to fly out to Barbados the following morning, Porsche Wilmslow have a lovely 18 plate 718 with 50 miles on it, talking to them at the moment about it. If they still have it when I'm down I'm hoping to go in for a look and a chat.

Archived