My 718 Cherry is popped...

John K

Today I drove a 2.0 718 with PDK and…

If you are looking for a Daily Driver Boxster, the 718 knocks it out of the park. You can drive this car to and from work every day.

Ride - amazing, taught at the core, supple over the bumps and not in any way brittle. Almost comfortable

Gearbox - beyond voodoo. Changes are instant and imperceptible except for the RPM. And with the mode select knob you can get it to behave like you want

Engine sound – under load its great..! Pottering around town with PSE on or off there can bit a bit of an annoying throb. But that was roof down, with it up, bet you would not hear it

Interior – lovely quality, everything else is down to personal taste. For me, the centre console was a little too high.

Steering – direct as you like. But it felt over assisted, this car did have the variable power steering that changes with speed and that might not have helped. As for the feedback. We were pottering about at 50 to 60, so I have no idea what the feed back is like. And to be honest I am not good enough a driver to know good feed back if it bit me.

Engine power – all you will ever need. When you need it, it delivered and delivered in a much more relaxed manner than the F6. Combined with the instant gearbox and the sports dial setting, if you need to go, the car will go. Astonishingly well in fact

Power delivery – I’m going to struggle to describe this. There is no lag or lump to the power delivery. But is the response as knife sharp as the F6? No, it is not. To copy from Ep 01 S01 of the Grand Tour when they are talking about the sole of your shoe altering the launch times… Well, yes, sort of… Drive an F6 in bare feet, then drive it in those foam flip flops you get on holiday. There is a whiff of latency in its urgency – does it matter day to day, no… But is it there, yes.

By every objective measurement, the 718 is a better car than the 987

From a subjective point of view, depending on what you (emphasis on YOU) are looking for, it might still be a better car than the 987

But did I drive away in my 987 feeling hard done by and looking for a reason to go back and sign up – No…

2 hours ago, John K said:

Today I drove a 2.0 718 with PDK and…

If you are looking for a Daily Driver Boxster, the 718 knocks it out of the park. You can drive this car to and from work every day.

Ride - amazing, taught at the core, supple over the bumps and not in any way brittle. Almost comfortable

Gearbox - beyond voodoo. Changes are instant and imperceptible except for the RPM. And with the mode select knob you can get it to behave like you want

Engine sound – under load its great..! Pottering around town with PSE on or off there can bit a bit of an annoying throb. But that was roof down, with it up, bet you would not hear it

Interior – lovely quality, everything else is down to personal taste. For me, the centre console was a little too high.

Steering – direct as you like. But it felt over assisted, this car did have the variable power steering that changes with speed and that might not have helped. As for the feedback. We were pottering about at 50 to 60, so I have no idea what the feed back is like. And to be honest I am not good enough a driver to know good feed back if it bit me.

Engine power – all you will ever need. When you need it, it delivered and delivered in a much more relaxed manner than the F6. Combined with the instant gearbox and the sports dial setting, if you need to go, the car will go. Astonishingly well in fact

Power delivery – I’m going to struggle to describe this. There is no lag or lump to the power delivery. But is the response as knife sharp as the F6? No, it is not. To copy from Ep 01 S01 of the Grand Tour when they are talking about the sole of your shoe altering the launch times… Well, yes, sort of… Drive an F6 in bare feet, then drive it in those foam flip flops you get on holiday. There is a whiff of latency in its urgency – does it matter day to day, no… But is it there, yes.

By every objective measurement, the 718 is a better car than the 987

From a subjective point of view, depending on what you (emphasis on YOU) are looking for, it might still be a better car than the 987

But did I drive away in my 987 feeling hard done by and looking for a reason to go back and sign up – No…

Fully agree with your points John, a great car but I did not feel short changed when I jumped back into my 987 - that's not to say I would not think about a 718 at some point but right now for me it's not a serious consideration, happy enough...

Phew John, your thoughts mirror my experience which is nice to know that I’m not mad to like the 718.

The price of a well specc’d 718 makes it non- sensical as the 987 is equally good in different ways.

nice to know we bought the right ones ?

Just been out for a B road trundle and I will be honest, I missed the 718s ride quality. 

The 987 is noticeably harsher.

I’ve had my 718 since Sept and haven’t regretted buying it for a second. I have 20” wheels and standard suspension and, unless the road is very bad, it copes admirably. I was tempted by the S but frankly the 2.0 is brutally effective, very different to the F6 but none the worse for it. 

I haven’t had a 987 but did have a 986 and it was fantastic so I can understand why you’d have to think very hard about moving to a 718 although the performance difference is quite noticeable and as a package the 718 can do the daily driver thing as well as put a smile on my face at the weekend. To be honest it’s not my daily but if the suns out...................

Nice to have the option to choose I reckon and the 987 is hardly a compromise decision.

10 minutes ago, CMA said:

Did it have PASM?

I wonder if the ride differs much from the 981?

Yes, it did have PASM

2 hours ago, John K said:

Just been out for a B road trundle and I will be honest, I missed the 718s ride quality. 

The 987 is noticeably harsher.

Fit smaller wheels. 

Archived