Intermittent roof/convertible function

MK986

Missus called frantically telling me the roof won’t go back up. Told her to turn off car, turn on car, pull handbreak and try the buttons again... worked. 

Since then I have troubleshot, and noticed when the handbrake is pulled, sometimes the light doesn’t come up on the dash. Pull up/down a few times, wait for light to appear and we’re back in action. (Constant gamble atm though, as today the handbrake light was illuminated, but the roof didn’t work ?). 

I do have a handbrake switch on order, so I’ll see how I get on when that’s in... but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this fault/fix before?

Porsche part-number: 99661311201

Till then, the gamble is on... no chance keeping the roof up in this weather.  ?

my handbrake was sticking a bit when i released the handbrake the knob at the end would stay in, a little spay of wd40 into the knob worked a treat, probably not the same issue but might be worth a go.

Yes, had exactly this issue and ended up doing lots of wiggling up/down, Side to side of the handbrake until the light appeared and then holding in just the right position while dropping the hood, not something to do in traffic?. New switch was £4 from OPC, but requires centre console to come out to replace. Even then the old switch had to be mangled to remove and the new one took a bit of persuasion to go in.

6 minutes ago, MK986 said:

@Nobbie @the baron thanks for you input guys.  Yeas... centre console out. Urgh. Will let you know how I get on. 

I found that loosening off the handbrake cable and then yanking it as far up as possible made removing the console easier. Good luck

If you have a smarttop you don't need to worry about the handbrake signal ... 

49 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Or do the cheap relay mod, again does away the need for handbrake on.

Do you need the handbrake light to pass the MOT?

I have a spare 986 modified relay if you are interested.

I purchased from a member as a spare to my smart top for my trips to Europe.

No longer required now.

@Patt sorry not gotten back to you earlier.. yes, very interested. 

I’ll message you. Thanks. 

Andy and FYI: I’ve not had a chance to fit the new switch yet.. I was in Italy for the MotoGP. 

@Patt got an error msg when trying to pm you.

In short: do you have a part number?  or can you define the part?

Def interested, how much?

Thanks, MK

I expect my inbox is full , it doesn't take much.

I'll have a look when I get back home for you. From memory it looked like a normal relay externally.

email me direct chap: patt@ftos.co.uk

I paid £50 and it's sat in my smarttop box ever since.  My father has a 2.5 so I could test it on that, or I could ping it over to your for sale or return.

44 minutes ago, Patt said:

meant to say, I'm not looking for that price though.  I think I stuck it up for £30 in my shed clearout thread.

ok, I'll ping you an email with my details and will update post with final / resolve of issue.

NB:  The missus has been using the convertible function all week. Has been working fine... (?) I'd rather be prepared for the worst though, and at least get the parts in.

Archived