GT4 Side Vents fitted to 981 by Alan...

Stuart21UK

2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Get Alan to post some full pictures of the Spyder with the vents! I bet it looks epic ?

I tagged and emailed him asking him to do a write up too...if he wants to email me some more of the car 'full shot' then I'll add them to the thread also :)

@Alan Alldritt (tagged in the hope he sees this too)

I bought the side scoops from a company in the US (Direct Car Toys) after speaking (with no success) as to the manufacturer in the OP.I didn't think it reasonable to attach them to the rocker panels with just 3M double sided tape and clear RTV.             .

There was a very good write up on installing similar scoops from Schnell Autosports  - see attached address.

I parcel taped my scoops in the exact finished position (after fitting the clipped outer vent) and then masked off the full outline of the scoop with painters frog tape.

After then removing the scoop I was left with an accurate guide as to where to drill off 6 pilot holes through the front of the panel - or more importantly where not to drill!

The Schnell scoops look to have hard points which would have made life easier for accurate positioning.I then re-attached the scoops using the guide masking tape and then back drilled from the rear of the rocker panel (using the previous pilot holes) to spot the scoops - removed them and then drilled off the rocker panel and scoops to take S/S self taping  screws.

My scoops came plain ie. no GTS/GT4/981 debossing in 2K black primer so no filling before painting reqd.I would recommend you get a pro sprayer to use a modern water based paint after the trouble I had trying to use solvent based aerosol cans -  it wasn't the colour match but the inadvertent splattering that proved very frustrating.I used adhesion promoter, plastic primer and several coats of colour/lacquer after very thorough preparation.

Once you peel off the double 3M protection tape you apply an activator (which comes with the kit) - be careful and apply it to the easily handled taped scoop and not the rocker panel as its very fluid and can attack some surfaces.I also used a spot of gel superglue on the screw threads before attachment and some RTV over the screw heads - nothing like belt and braces!!

Feel free to ask any questions or PM me if you want to discuss further and many thanks to Stuart for putting the pictures up.

ATB

Alan

http://blog.schnellautosports.com/2015/09/981-caymanboxster-gt4-side-scoop.html

@Skidd @daz05 @CliveH @Lonewolfgjp @Menoporsche @fat haggis

I've had some more pictures from @Alan Alldritt to upload of his Spyder as requested...stunning colour :)

2vas4Ip.jpg

J4bZpcd.jpg

4BjIGwS.jpg

IDparHA.jpg

Alan, I'll post a link to how to upload to Imgur so you can sort it out next time (although if you have problems come back to me :) )

14 minutes ago, Alan Alldritt said:

This old dinosaur is attempting a previous picture posting following Stuart's instructions - hope it works.

kPjdLZd.jpg

yes it does...well done :)

Stunning car, perfect finishing touch. 

Why the Spyder wasn’t adorned with them I don’t know.

I'd only do a little research first to check they don't discolour as soon as you get enthusiastic with the braking (eg track days).  Do calipers heat much? I don't recall if caliper paint is more heat resistant than usual.

Archived