Track day seats

Lennym1984

Hi,

I am looking to get some lightweight, fixed back seats for use on track days (the stock seats are fine but I'd like something to hold me in a bit tighter). My plan is to buy some buckets (and the adapters for the seat) and just swap them in and out for the day (I'd like to keep the stock seats for day to day use).

So my questions:

1. How can I do this without triggering the airbag lights everytime?

2. Any recommendations for a light, fixed back, (ideally cheap) bucket seat?

Thanks in advance,

Leo

Doesn't really matter about airbag lights if you are only putting them in for track days, but usually a resistor wired into the airbag connectors does the trick. 

I'm interested to see responses about potential seats too. 

6 minutes ago, coldcuppatea said:

Doesn't really matter about airbag lights if you are only putting them in for track days, but usually a resistor wired into the airbag connectors does the trick. 

I'm interested to see responses about potential seats too. 

I had heard/read that if you remove the seat and turn the ignition on, it will set off an airbag light which can only be removed by plugging into PIWIS (even if you later reinstall the original seat). I would like to avoid this as it will add to the faf

Never an issue with Molly's GT3 buckets, although they were fitted at build.

I drove for a couple of weeks with only one seat present ,whilst the other was being re-trimmed.  No lights or even seat belt warnings.  I seem to recall whilst wiring modules clipped under them, IIRC there was only one wire to the drivers belt buckle being utilised.

They were actually manufactured by Recaro.  Not to dissimilar to their Pole Position range, but in full leather.

The Porsche mounts look identical to the Recaro, just black with no badging and only one single hole at  the correct height - ie not the adjustment that the Recaro supply

You can pick up race buckets quite cheaply, especially given you don’t need FIA approved ones. You’ve not mentioned using harness or a harness bar though so make certain the seat design does not compromise the operation of the belts - you could find a significant gap between yourself and the lap belt and belt tensioners might not work either.

There must be a way around the airbag issue!

If you’re going to this effort I’d highly recommend adding a 5 point harness to your setup.  Holds you into position much more firmly which helps both cornering and under braking.  Bit of a slippery slope though as next on the list would be a HANS device!

Archived