puncture..no room for the wheel!

huytonman

had a puncture today, pulled out the spacesaver and jack, within ten minutes had the job done apart from...the rear wheel is too big to fit in either boot and with a wife in situ no room on the passenger seat...hmmm...luckily I found an old school garage a mile away who repaired the puncture and two hours later we where on our way...could have been quite different and now my smugness about having a spacesaver has gone and im now planning to stick a compressor and some tyre gunge in the boot just in case the same thing happens and luck isnt so kind next time.

Keith

Put wife in front boot and wheel in front boot and job jobbed. 

Mat on boot lid, wheel on mat and bungy tie the wheel on.  As described by @Berty987 in one of his posts a few years ago.

Or if you're not too far from home/garage lob wheel or wife over a hedge and return later to collect ?.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:07 PM, huytonman said:

had a puncture today, pulled out the spacesaver

OP, your ride says 981, so how come you have a spacesaver spare wheel? Presumably your smugness relates to the fact that you've added it yourself?

I think I remember just about being able to get a deflated rear wheel* in one of the boots in a 986, but would not have managed it fully inflated (and obviously not with luggage). Never tried it of course in the 981. I've never fully got used to the idea of not having a spare, but it concerns me most on overseas trips when I would always have two boots full anyway, so perhaps the foam inflator is the best solution (as long as it works).

I think the idea nowadays is just to use your recovery service and hope you can find a replacement tyre without too much delay - but a forced change to your itinerary seems almost inevitable given the likely 24-28 hr min wait for the tyre. Interestingly, the Porsche Assistance website says that the service includes "Porsche-trained roadside patrols in the UK carrying Porsche space-saver wheels" which I assume means even for cars that don't have their own spacesavers - but then presumably you're likely to wait longer for one of them to turn up (especially somewhere remote) than just an ordinary AA recovery truck? And that's only in the UK as well by the sound of it.

* Edit: they were 17" wheels

15 hours ago, Jon61 said:

OP, your ride says 981, so how come you have a spacesaver spare wheel? Presumably your smugness relates to the fact that you've added it yourself?

I think he used to have a 981 and now has a 986.

A compressor and tyre foam is no good if you have a slashed tyre. If also creates loads of mess on your wheel. Also, don't get it wrong if you are wearing good clothes or on your way to work as shyate will spray everywhere. 

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I think he used to have a 981 and now has a 986.

Correct and Ive tried but cant change the profile content relating to rides..anyway Ive now added a compressor and tyre repair kit (the rubber bung type), if the next nail is in a similar location I should be able to sort it and if not it will have to be recovery..I also decided against the foam because of the mess but for a nail it would probably work.

55 minutes ago, huytonman said:

Correct and Ive tried but cant change the profile content relating to rides..

Should just be able to go to your account, click the edit profile button and change whatever. Was curious so hust tried mine and it works fine. 

On 7/3/2018 at 10:07 PM, huytonman said:

had a puncture today, pulled out the spacesaver and jack, within ten minutes had the job done apart from...the rear wheel is too big to fit in either boot and with a wife in situ no room on the passenger seat...hmmm...luckily I found an old school garage a mile away who repaired the puncture and two hours later we where on our way...could have been quite different and now my smugness about having a spacesaver has gone and im now planning to stick a compressor and some tyre gunge in the boot just in case the same thing happens and luck isnt so kind next time.

Keith

Sounds a bit strange! Do you have non standard alloys fitted. I don't recall having a problem fitting in a standard 17 inch when I had a puncture a while back.

On 7/5/2018 at 7:17 AM, jonogt6 said:

Sounds a bit strange! Do you have non standard alloys fitted. I don't recall having a problem fitting in a standard 17 inch when I had a puncture a while back.

18" sport design..no way on earth that either lid would close.

On 7/4/2018 at 7:02 PM, red rocket said:

Should just be able to go to your account, click the edit profile button and change whatever. Was curious so hust tried mine and it works fine. 

Cheers..now sorted thanks to the nice bit of advice (I hadnt seen the edit profile button when trying to do this earlier)

Archived