One touch close not working on passenger window.

Paul P

Hi. One touch close not working on passenger window. One touch opening works fine  

Tried the various flavours of reset that I can find. (Varying amount of holding the switch up and down or switching twice as per hand book ) 

Window drops and raises on opening the door as expected. 

It also drops and raises when lowering and raising the roof. 

Only other “weird” thing is when I get in and for up the car the passenger window closes a little more (I think) like it’s opened a little when I opened the drivers door. Will observe closer and work out what the actual “happenings” are there. 

Its a U.K. car. 987.2. 

Window appears to be properly closed when you hold the switch and it sits correctly against the roof etc. 

Any ideas ? 

Don’t think so. It stops wherever I let go. No tight or slow spot but it’s an easy thing to do so worth a try.

one other but of diagnostic. The one touch is a 2nd position on the switch almost like a kick down. I thought that perhaps the one touch position wasn’t registering but the same thing happens on both switches ( the passenger switch on the drivers door and the one in the passenger doir. )

On my first 987S only one of them went up one touch, but on my 2nd one both windows do.. as Richard says, I am betting coding. I know they can code the windows to drop when you unlock the door with the fob as well if you keep your finger on the button

Opening on the fob works on both windows and whilst I fully accept it may be a coding issue - its a UK car - and every car I have had going back to my Cavalier has had one touch windows on both passenger and drivers doors can't see it's a regulatory thing.

Handbook does not suggest it's not available for one door over the other - and gives instructions on how to reset if battery disconnected (which it was before I bought the car - and I had to reset the drivers door for one touch when I got the car.)

Anyone else with a 987.2 (mines a 2011 if that makes a difference) in the UK have one touch on the passenger window?

No - i understood, and I accept it could be coding - what I am saying is "why wouldn't it be enabled - since no other car from any brand I know of has it disabled" - hence the question about anyone else having it working - if it's "on" be default - why would anyone code it "off" - and if it's off by default - why isn't that clear in the handbook. 

My logic being if it is supposed to work ( and hasn't been coded otherwise) then somethings broken, if the only symptom is this - it will likely stay broken, but if its  prelude to something els e, then I would rather be on top of it.

The handbook says you can do it, and tells you how to reset it (and the US version of the handbook has a caveat that says you can only do it if the window is more that half way closed when you start - so they do document regional variations).

They fit the switches with the "2 stage" engagement (you can feel the engagement of the 2nd stage).

A thought has occurred to me though - if the "auto lower in case of object" isn't working, then perhaps the car won't let the one touch closing work. TIme to go trap my fingers in the window to find out.......

It most definitely can be coded to one-touch close.  This is a screenshot from my PIWIS.

987PxDoorCoding.jpg

I seem to recall that my 987C.2 wasn't coded for comfort closing.  It might have been regulation at the time, but I have seen it set both ways on 987s. 

I have also come across a couple of LHD 996's which didn't comfort close on the passenger side (which can't be coded) so maybe it is a regional issue too. 

Bit of an update - I went through some detailed "tests" this morning.

Reset top position is close, hold switch for 5+ seconds. One touch open and close works - for a "while" - tested it like 10 times, then turned on PCM to fiddle with something else - and then just before I came back indoors, tried it again , not working - went through reset again - all working, for now........ Pretty sure it's going to "forget" again soon, will try it tomorrow, but I suspect that the window regulator electronics have an issue (saw a US based posting on one of the forums - same issue as me and resolved by a used electronics "bit" of the regulator)  - but I am not going to chase a fix at this time - maybe it remembers, maybe it doesn't - at least I know.

There's another "part" to the system - that I read about last night - windows are "live" between when you remove the key and the 1st time a door is opened - so you can work the windows until you get out of the car, in this mode - onetouch is disabled for both windows - learned this as part of the testing.

Thanks for the help guys

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

It most definitely can be coded to one-touch close.  This is a screenshot from my PIWIS.

987PxDoorCoding.jpg

I seem to recall that my 987C.2 wasn't coded for comfort closing.  It might have been regulation at the time, but I have seen it set both ways on 987s. 

I have also come across a couple of LHD 996's which didn't comfort close on the passenger side (which can't be coded) so maybe it is a regional issue too. 

Richard - is "comfort" the same as "onetouch" - based on nothing other than some previous cars (audi) comfort opening referred to opening and closing on the "key" or the "fob" - press and hold (or turn and hold) on lock/unlock of the doors. That is enabled and working on mine I can drop the windows from the fob no problem - not tried closing on lock explicitly but *i think* thats working based on playing with it when I first got it.

There are separate settings in the PAS (Porsche Access System) module which are used to set comfort opening and closing on the key fob.  I think the ones in the door module coding are for one-touch, but now you have queried it I am doubting myself.

However, I just read this in a US owners manual for the 987:

One-touch operation
* Press the rocker switch upwards or downwards to the second stage.
Window moves to its final position.
Press again to stop the window in the desired position.
One-touch operation for closing the passenger’s window is available once the window is approximately half-way closed.

Have you tried that, or only from the fully down position?

Tried both. The uk manual doesn’t have that caveat and my current state is “working until it stops again” and it works from fully opened. 

Seems there is a fault since it does work for a while after a reset and I have had someone with a 2010 987.2 confirm that theirs works on both windows. 

Will see if I can figure the sequence to make it “fail” and then I will see if my warranty (not Porsche ) will cover regulator and associated bits. 

If not it’s ebay time. 

Archived