Filming for Fifth Gear

JordanFG

19 hours ago, Chigley said:

It wasn't! I believe I heard the owner say it was insured for £25k, which is slightly at odds with the premise that was on the 987 invitation for cars around £10k. The Z4M was show prepped with several (numerous) additional features / mods. I didn't believe it was like for like.

The programme hasn't been broadcast yet. I'm keeping a watch on their scheduling guide.

A selection of photos from the day's filming.

https://imgur.com/a/34K95hn

Thanks.. I see its on Quest tonight..ill watch to see if it's your episode 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Didn't tell us alot.  And having told viewers it's mid engined VBH conveniently forgot about the frunk when comparing luggage space with the Merc! :o

When we had an SLK we would always take the Boxster when going away for a long weekend - way more luggage space.

Just watched (on my phone as I didn’t have a chance last night). Interesting.  

Boxster wins ?

But 0-60 in 7.1 seconds - what’s that about?

As RR mentions above the boot space point made did not factor in the frunk it would seem - I can’t actually put my hand on the specific volume of storage space available in the 987 Boxster but it can’t be too far short of the SLK. The 718 is apparently 280 litres so I don’t know how much that differs in the previous models.  

Still handling is shown as a major point and the reason for the win. 

Z4M for £8K though - she is having a laugh surely?

I don’t think our Vicky was comparing like with like with respect to models within the range or engine variants ?

I will watch the whole thing on tv later when I get a chance.  GT3 RS ?

10 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Yep, I watched on the Quest OD App...

Many thanks. Just watched it. Really like the red colour. Don't know why they are so rare.

Seems unfair to compare the Z4M to the 2.7L Boxster from a straight line perspective. I'm guessing it's related to the £8k budget though which is fair enough. Just had a look at autotrader and you are spoilt for choice for the 2.7L at £8k. That is so much car for the money. I paid nearly twice that for my 3.4 earlier this year (and it had a scored cylinder - not really a problem on the 2.7L). It is definitely not twice the car.

7 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Another scored 3.4? Oh dear.

From following this forum I think I am the only one with the dubious privilege of a scored 3.4. I may have missed others though as I haven't read literally every post.

3 minutes ago, dim33 said:

From following this forum I think I am the only one with the dubious privilege of a scored 3.4. I may have missed others though as I haven't read literally every post.

There are not that many, one I can think of is @j0hn and a 3.4 Cayman...

1 hour ago, dim33 said:

From following this forum I think I am the only one with the dubious privilege of a scored 3.4.

If it's a Boxster, you're the first I remember.  I think three Caymen by now.

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

If it's a Boxster, you're the first I remember.  I think three Caymen by now.

It is indeed a Boxster. Lucky me!

Took great comfort from the scoring stats pointing to Caymens rather than Boxsters when buying (and the fact that my car had zero symptoms). Once bitten twice shy.

It was a good piece though by VBH. However, as mentioned above, it doesn't do justice to the storage space in the Boxster.

In a recent trip to Belgium with my son, we easily fitted all our stuff in the car and also picked up a couple of cases of beer on the way home no problem.

Good to see the boxster win especially since it was “one of us” who supplied the car. But we already knew the answer. That’s why we have Porsche. 

But generally I thought the whole “item/article” was rubbish. Poor info, a few drive by shots, a quick silly reference to things that wear out and VBH just randomly declaring “winner”

I wanted more but this was just fluff. I think they could have done a follow up on the winner. A buyers guide or a model run down or a “why it won” thing. 

But. Still won. And still was VBH who has serious credentials for knowing her way around a car. 

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Oh yeah, how much was stored in the passenger stomach compartment? :D 

On the driver's side not as much as I would have liked. In France you have to have a breathalyser so I bought a reasonably good digital one.

I played with it whilst I was there and it shocked me how little I needed to drink to be over the limit (which is lower than the UK limit in the EU).

Wish I'd never bought it now.

12 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Good to see the boxster win especially since it was “one of us” who supplied the car. But we already knew the answer. That’s why we have Porsche. 

But generally I thought the whole “item/article” was rubbish. Poor info, a few drive by shots, a quick silly reference to things that wear out and VBH just randomly declaring “winner”

I wanted more but this was just fluff. I think they could have done a follow up on the winner. A buyers guide or a model run down or a “why it won” thing. 

But. Still won. And still was VBH who has serious credentials for knowing her way around a car. 

Spot on.

Having had an M3 about 10 years ago I looked at a Boxster at the time to go to Le Mans and missed the whole luggage capacity thing. Then one parked opposite in Houx and got out everything but the kitchen sink. I still didn’t realise the potential and only after owning one love the luggage capacity (well she does) and handling. The performance is about the same as the E46 which I think has the same engine as the Z4M anyway. Having recently been chased and been chased several hundred miles by a Z4M (same era) and a later Z4 I can confirm that the boxster is the best tool I have ever owned.

Save the Fiat Panda Hire car I borrowed from Malaga airport which proved to be quicker that a current 911 turbo and I have a video to prove it. ?

Can’t say as much for the build quality of the Fiat as it wasn’t very well when I have it back. However I was only eventually sold  on a Porsche when I visited the factory where mine came from in Stuttgart. Still going well 12 years later and not bothered about what to get next.

Archived