Zunsport Grilles clarification please

Gutley

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, Bravestarr said:

Hi folks,

An interesting thread this one.... I fitted Zunsports all round to my 987.1S. 

I am fairly mechanically inept but managed to fit them all securely within probably two hours. The looks are marmite, you either like them or not. Fortunately I think that they look great.

I'm a bit confused about Rick987S's post though. My side grilles fitted over the existing vents as per the attached picture.

Cheers, Kevin

That's interesting Kevin & thank you for chipping in.

I'm not sure what the confusion is because simply put, neither me, a local Porsche mechanic or a local garage could get them in without removal of the existing Side Vents & filing a grove in the lower part of each Vent in order to accommodate the new Zunsport Grilles.

If you look at my photo where the red circle is in the Vent, you can see where a mark has appeared where we all tried to fit the lower securing bracket in the side Grille.  That is now the location of where a small filed cut-out exists to accommodate the bracket & as you can see from the other photo, mine are now fitting nicely.

The only difference I can see is that while we both have 987.1s, yours is a 3.4 & mine is a 3.2!  Simply put, there was NO space between the Vent & the black engine cowls to mount the new Grilles.

Now I'm no expert mechanic but having fitted the fronts in no time, I had to get a second & third opinion as I just couldn't believe it myself but I was correct.

Grille2.jpg

Side-Grille.jpg

14 hours ago, Bravestarr said:

Hi Rick,

That adds the missing info. 

I think that I was just maybe more mechanically insensitive and just pushed it down until it went in. I had it in mind that the parts were not bonded (rightly or wrongly) and that the black part would give.

Cheers, Kevin

Hi Kevin.

I can assure you that we all tried very hard to push the Zunsport Grilles in place using tools but nothing wanted to budge enough without having applied excess force on my car.

From what I gather, are you saying that you had to use quite a bit of force to get them in?  That's not how they're being sold so that's somewhat misleading I thought & I was very disappointed with their dismissive response & lack of after-sales support as I asked for some guidance which I never got.

However, I'm glad you managed to get them in okay & I totally agree with you in that you either like or hate them but I'm with you in that I love 'em as I think it makes the car look more up-to-date, apart from the obvious protection the front offer which of course, will avoid possible future expensive repairs!  :-)

Cheers, Rick.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived