Zunsport Grilles clarification please

Gutley

So I’m thinking of getting some for the 987. On the site they list different ones for manual and Tiptronic. 

https://www.zunsport.com/en/porsche-grilles&filter=196

Now there was no Tip for the 987.2 as it went PDK, so I’m just checking if the site is mislabelled and they would be fine.

Also, can they be fitted without removing the bumper?

I've watched tutorials on utube on how to fit them and even the zunsport ones don't seem to be an easy fit, so I'm thinking of doing the grills myself as a little autumn project, you can buy sheets of grill mesh either metal or plastic for little money, so the saving is huge, looks easy enough to do a template to cut the mesh to size and fit with black screws and zip ties!!!

My car was the donor vehicle for the production of the 987.2 PDK grilles. They are a perfect fit and can be fitted and removed literally in a few minutes. I’ve never bothered with extra ties and never  had an issue with them coming loose.

Great product and second to none customer service.

Pezky is right about the extra centre grille.

9 minutes ago, myfirstboxster said:

I know they're a quality bit of kit but that sort of money for basically a bit of wire mesh ?

You are paying for the convenience of something that clips into place.

Try buying mesh, removing the front grilles, cutting it to size and then finding a way of securing the mesh that doesn't look naff.  

1 hour ago, headless said:

I've watched tutorials on utube on how to fit them and even the zunsport ones don't seem to be an easy fit, so I'm thinking of doing the grills myself as a little autumn project, you can buy sheets of grill mesh either metal or plastic for little money, so the saving is huge, looks easy enough to do a template to cut the mesh to size and fit with black screws and zip ties!!!

Be very careful when cutting and handling the mesh as it can be razor sharp and cut your hands to ribbons before you even realise. This was zinc mesh from B&Q.

I agree with both of the last posts.

However the sharp bits on my Zunsport centre grill were so sharp that I cut myself and didn't notice until I spotted blood all over the grill when I was fitting it.

For the price this was not on as the sharp parts would also have scratched the hell out of the bumper when fitting them.

Pays yer money and all that..

I put some mesh on the TVR; bought some off eBay, cut and stuck in place, took ages and a couple of attempts to get it ok. All up, with the clips, some weird setting type mastic and a couple of cuts, probably cost me double the sheet I bought of about half the price of the Zunsports

For the Zunsports, bought some grills on here, did it all electronically, spent a couple of minutes fitting them and decided I didn’t like the side ones and sold them on in another couple of minutes. I must have a centre one going spare somewhere...

I recently bought the complete whole set, that's the front sides & front centre plus I thought I'd add the side vents too.  Being a member of the Porsche Club GB, I used the 20% discount that we get so that they'd be more attractive pricewise.  I thought the quality of them was excellent as was the speed of delivery so no complaints there!

However, while fitting the fronts was fairly easy as there is NO requirement to remove the front bumper/spoiler, the side grilles would NOT fit behind the existing Side Vents because there wasn't any space to slide the lower part of their grille into the existing vent.

I'm also not sure how easy it would be to remove them or how to remove them without damaging the bodywork.  If you need to replace the Front Fog or Side Lamps, this is something which will need to be addressed because the screws to access those lamps, now sit behind those Grilles.

I ended up approaching a Porsche Mechanic who many club members use in my area & he confirmed that it was impossible to fit the new Grilles without removing the Side Vents & filing a recess in there in order to accommodate the retaining clips which are used to secure the Grilles in place.  I therefore paid him an hour's labour because I wasn't confident in getting the Side Vents out even after following some instructions I found online, I couldn't get the Side Vents to budge without what I thought was too much force.

As those Grilles were sold as being able to be fitted without removing any bodywork parts, I was not best pleased!!!

9 hours ago, Rick987S said:

As those Grilles were sold as being able to be fitted without removing any bodywork parts, I was not best pleased!!!

Did you raise this with Zunsport?

BTW - maybe of interest to others - we also have a discount arrangement with Zunsport. There are various codes floating about if you search.

Zunsport have various you tube videos for the firtting of their products, maybe worth a look their if you haven’t already (ref your ‘online’ quote)

They are also quite a friendly bunch to talk too if you call them as I have in the past :)

45 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

I used the 20% off code on here, still works.

?

Yep, me too. Took me all of 2 minutes to clip onto the front of my 987.1. I don’t have the centre grill though.

It isn’t obvious from their photos, but can someone confirm that the grille sits in front of the existing slats? Ie they don’t need removing first.

7 minutes ago, Gutley said:

It isn’t obvious from their photos, but can someone confirm that the grille sits in front of the existing slats? Ie they don’t need removing first.

Confirmed ?

Dont need to remove anything - just locate and press down on lugs with thin screwdriver to lock in place. 2 minute job.

34 minutes ago, Purdie said:

Confirmed ?

Dont need to remove anything - just locate and press down on lugs with thin screwdriver to lock in place. 2 minute job.

Cheers. All ordered and discount code applied for 20% off

I appreciate I don’t have a Boxster but as they all look the same these days :laugh:mine are slightly different from that photo I have 3 separate grills and each slot in between the slats and set back.

Not sure if the newer Boxster are the same or one piece to be honest. If they are one piece and sit in front I’d say it’s nicer and very GT3 like which I’d prefer. Mine are a little more discrete.

11 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

Not sure if the newer Boxster are the same or one piece to be honest. If they are one piece and sit in front I’d say it’s nicer and very GT3 like which I’d prefer. 

718 is 4 pieces each side. Can also get center and side intake grilles.

MBqGJ7t.jpg

VBKcUzO.jpg

aPFsggk.jpg

34 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

Not sure if the newer Boxster are the same or one piece to be honest. If they are one piece and sit in front I’d say it’s nicer and very GT3 like which I’d prefer. Mine are a little more discrete.

Just to clarify, i mean i’d like the GT3 style vents on mine, not Boxsters. 

I assume they are easier to remove to due to the clips which I find (from experience) are bloody hard to remove come warranty renewal time.

13 hours ago, Purdie said:

Did you raise this with Zunsport?

BTW - maybe of interest to others - we also have a discount arrangement with Zunsport. There are various codes floating about if you search.

I did & I was told that as they hadn't had the issue before, it wasn't their problem.  I got 2 separate opinions, another one from a garage who fit their grilles & they also confirmed it was NOT possible to fit those side grilles without removal of the existing vents & filling a groove!

At the moment Purdie, I don't want to say anymore as I'm going to give the director one more chance because he's now written to me offering a full refund which is NOT what I want because they're now all fitted - all I wanted was some aftersales support & guidance so I'm going to reply to his e-mail because I've not had the time so far & give the benefit of the doubt.

When I've the final outcome, I intend on creating a new thread about this subject because I think it's good to share experiences with other members within a forum whether good or bad so that people can make up their own minds.

I'll be sure to keep it factual when I do & refrain from personal emotions.

Hi folks,

An interesting thread this one.... I fitted Zunsports all round to my 987.1S. 

I am fairly mechanically inept but managed to fit them all securely within probably two hours. The looks are marmite, you either like them or not. Fortunately I think that they look great.

I'm a bit confused about Rick987S's post though. My side grilles fitted over the existing vents as per the attached picture.

Cheers, Kevin

Vents.JPG

Archived