Window seal

GeorgeBoxster

15 hours ago, GeorgeBoxster said:

Does anyone know if the window seal can be refurbished ? or where i can source a new one.Anyone replaced there's ?

Do you mean windscreen or side windows? Alot of people treat side seals with Gummipflege or i think there's an Autoglym version. 

• 4 weeks later...

have a 987.2 (technically Mrs frozen's but....) anyway, third boxster for us with a gap of many years, and doing great with it. did a bit of tidy-up on it after purchase - new tail pipes, wheel re-balance and minor refurb, new tail pipes, and got rid of that awful thumb-button steering wheel. also noticed the black fluffy covered window seal was bald in patches on drivers side so thought I'd sort that too.

ordered the part from design911 and turned up as usual spot on. then began trying to figure out how to fit it. figure you have to open the hood nearly fully then unscrew it at the bottom and slide out downwards manipulating lots of fiddly clips on the way. To check my theory, I examined the new part I'd got from design911 and twisted it very slightly to see how it fitted (it's in two parts), and pop, snapped in three places. It's made of that crappy recycled coffee cup swirly plastic stuff and really really fragile. 

so lesson learned, if you're going to fit one of those, go careful, it's very fragile. So I gave it to my local OPC to sort - who did - and all good now!

On 10/23/2018 at 9:33 PM, frozen said:

have a 987.2 (technically Mrs frozen's but....) anyway, third boxster for us with a gap of many years, and doing great with it. did a bit of tidy-up on it after purchase - new tail pipes, wheel re-balance and minor refurb, new tail pipes, and got rid of that awful thumb-button steering wheel. also noticed the black fluffy covered window seal was bald in patches on drivers side so thought I'd sort that too.

ordered the part from design911 and turned up as usual spot on. then began trying to figure out how to fit it. figure you have to open the hood nearly fully then unscrew it at the bottom and slide out downwards manipulating lots of fiddly clips on the way. To check my theory, I examined the new part I'd got from design911 and twisted it very slightly to see how it fitted (it's in two parts), and pop, snapped in three places. It's made of that crappy recycled coffee cup swirly plastic stuff and really really fragile. 

so lesson learned, if you're going to fit one of those, go careful, it's very fragile. So I gave it to my local OPC to sort - who did - and all good now!

I guess that you are talking about this part: https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod129446/Cabriolet-Hood--B--Pillar-Seal-Porsche-987-Boxster/

Having changed the offside seal, I can say that it is a fiddly job. The worst screws are the ones at the base where there is no clear direct access, so I ended up using a screwdriver bit in a ring spanner to create a right angled screwdriver! The nearside seal now needs replacing as the "flocking" has come off, so the window no longer seals correctly. I was wondering about trying a "flocking kit" from Ebay but I don't think it would last.

1 hour ago, crazybones said:

I guess that you are talking about this part: https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod129446/Cabriolet-Hood--B--Pillar-Seal-Porsche-987-Boxster/

Having changed the offside seal, I can say that it is a fiddly job. The worst screws are the ones at the base where there is no clear direct access, so I ended up using a screwdriver bit in a ring spanner to create a right angled screwdriver! The nearside seal now needs replacing as the "flocking" has come off, so the window no longer seals correctly. I was wondering about trying a "flocking kit" from Ebay but I don't think it would last.

yes that's the part - very brittle and fiddly to fit. 

I didn't think the spray-on flocking stuff would last long either either - so went for replacement part - which is now installed and fine - installed by someone else that is :-)

From the link above, the Design911 ones are 200 quid per side.

They've given it a Porsche part number, so not sure if it's the same from Porsche - or sometimes direct from Porsche they might be cheaper...

Thanks for confirming.  Seems clear that when it is an original part, they can't offer it for less than Porsche. As with eBay or dodgy builders, if the customer is willing to pay inflated prices, that's up to them. 

yup, not a lot in the price - only really practical getting non-OPC if you're avoiding the labour charges from OPC - and even then just getting parts there often slightly cheaper. I've found some things cheaper some not,  you pays your money and you takes your choice.

mine took about an hour and a half of OPC labour to fit (on top of part price) which sounded fair to me having failed to do it myself first time around.

Archived