Stone chips, normal?

Lennym1984

Hi,

First of all, my car is 20+ years old and I know that stone chips are inevitable but what I am surprised about is the number of chips I have picked up (they weren't there a year ago) on the drivers side front wing and door. The passenger side is almost totally blemish free but the driver's side looks like it has been sprayed with gravel.

I don't tailgate but I do do track days and empty country road blasts (ie. I drive it like a Porsche and not a Nissan Micra), so my question is, are these chips on the side normal and if so, what have others done to try and reduce them? I assume front mudflaps would probably help.

I wonder whether one side has been repainted and the new paint is more prone to chipping? Not really noticed chipping down either side on mine, but then I don't track it although do enjoy enthusiastic driving on country roads. Really only the front bumper and bonnet that gets any damage.

Cars which have been painted are more prone to chipping as nobbie says. 

Another factor to consider is resurfacing of roads you drive. There's been lots of resurfacing  on my local roads, which has meant loads of tar stuck to the side of my VW and a few extra stone chips to the front. 

The car was white and it was covered in the stuff, a proper pain 

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

I wonder whether one side has been repainted and the new paint is more prone to chipping? Not really noticed chipping down either side on mine, but then I don't track it although do enjoy enthusiastic driving on country roads. Really only the front bumper and bonnet that gets any damage.

It had a front end respray when it was sold as an approved used at OPC but the paint on the doors would appear to be original. 

The roads round here are quite rough so it's entirely probable that it's either that or the track days (where your will often be following people at high speed). 

I'm not unduly concerned but it's interesting that the drivers side is worse 

I had the front end of mine painted last year, I could just about have lived with the small stone chips but picked up a massive chip on the front PU about the size of a 10p piece. Gutted wasn't the word! Found an excellent painter with a great reputation so had the bonnet / front PU done. 

Trouble is I get worred about picking up new chips now everytime I take it out!!

10 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Trouble is I get worred about picking up new chips now everytime I take it out!!

This is why I'm not planning to do much about it. I know that if I had it resprayed, the chips would be back within a year :(

Certainly in the 981 chips down the side and by the side intakes is a problem, these being primarily caused by stones thrown up by the front wheels, but the 981 does flare out by the intakes in a way that the 986 doesn’t so this doesn’t seem to be as much of a problem. Note that 911s have chip protection in front of the rear wheels to mitigate some of this damage.  You can mitigate front end damage by some degree by giving plenty of room to the car in front, especially when out on a ’Porsche run’. Unfortunately the side damage is difficult to protect against other than by using paint protection film, or by driving like your grandma!

Your probably right about trackdays, i think that porsche's suffer with the wheels flinging stones at the body(hence the need for decals in areas around the arches). my pal had a 997 that was horrendous for chips.  Not so sure whether reworked paint is any less susceptible to chips, than factory?  

One day i'll have a respray to make the car nice and i will whittle about any new chips, so sometimes leaving it is the best bet!

Archived