Drop in mpg

LordGrover

check your Lambda's and long term fuel trim,then Maf then the engine temp sensor, then remove and clean the throttle body and maf.

vac leaks ,pre cat exhaust leaks, the list is endless sadly.

codes wll help, and getting the long term fuel trims will be massive indicator as Lambda's are bank specific so will help you to narrow down which one is going bad ''if'' it is that..if for example they are ok then even without MAF codes I would start with cleaning that and going over all the jubilee clips in the induction hosing and listening /looking for any leaks...check the engine temp sensor is reading what it should, they are dual feed so what you see on the instrument cluster is not always what the DME is seeing, if the temp sensor is reading wrongly then there is potential for overfueling.

This is all assuming it's had a recent air filter, fuel filter, and the plugs, coil packs and HT leads are all healthy.

many things can cause poor economy but usually a sudden rather than gradual over a period of months is down to a change or degredation or  of the sensors that control fueling ..I have listed them in the order of most likely culprit at the top.

when you have done these checks try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and doing a throttle re-set/adaptation.

My money is on your Lambda's BTW.

good luck.

I think ''hoon'' MPG should be excluded from the thread due to the confusion it may cause... ?

in all seriousness, I reckon I could get it really lo on a ''spirited'' drive but normal driving should return around 25 on average ..with maybe 30 on a longer run.

19 would be understandable on a barely warm engine doing lots of short trips

if you are doing mixed driving and getting 19mpg then something is wrong...not very wrong but sounds to me like the car is running rich.

7 hours ago, JoeyH said:

I think ''hoon'' MPG should be excluded from the thread due to the confusion it may cause... ?

in all seriousness, I reckon I could get it really lo on a ''spirited'' drive but normal driving should return around 25 on average ..with maybe 30 on a longer run.

19 would be understandable on a barely warm engine doing lots of short trips

if you are doing mixed driving and getting 19mpg then something is wrong...not very wrong but sounds to me like the car is running rich.

I'd agree with this...19 mpg is short or very spirited drives, 24.5mpg is my combined and I may get 29-32 mpg on a more relaxed longer trip

• 5 weeks later...

Archived