Aldi battery charger

Paul2359

2 hours ago, mike597 said:

I think I've had mine for 7 years now.  Possibly 6.  In daily use and still doing the business. 

So do you  plug your car in everyday or is used on another car?

1 hour ago, mike597 said:

It's used on the boxster which is in irregular use. 

Just interested, why do you plug in everyday is your battery dying?

ive got the c-teck charger but I never plug it into the Boxster even when it’s left for several weeks.

it is plugged into the 924 as this is SORN.

2 minutes ago, the baron said:

Just interested, why do you plug in everyday is your battery dying?

ive got the c-teck charger but I never plug it into the Boxster even when it’s left for several weeks.

it is plugged into the 924 as this is SORN.

I don't plug it in every day as such. Its on the boxster all day everyday because the car is used very irregularly and it helps to maintain the battery condition at its best. In the winter months it might get out of garage once a month. Last thing I want when it's a fine day is a dead battery. 

Unfortunately I don’t have a Boxster yet but will be using it on my MG, don’t laugh to much.

i was just wondering, do you leave them connected all the time your cars are of the road or just connect them every couple of weeks for a couple of days?

1 hour ago, Paul2359 said:

Unfortunately I don’t have a Boxster yet but will be using it on my MG, don’t laugh to much.

i was just wondering, do you leave them connected all the time your cars are of the road or just connect them every couple of weeks for a couple of days?

Just leave them connected assuming it's similar to my Lidl one that detects when the battery is fully charged and reduces charging current accordingly.

I think with the old style quick chargers it could damage the battery by overcharging if you left it on, but these are a bit more intelligent.

Yeh, I’m pretty sure these switch on/off as required to “condition” the battery. Rather than just a quick zapp of a jump start, it by definition trickles voltage slowly over a longer period to keep it topped up (just like driving would). These don’t/wont charge a full dead battery anyway, can’t detect it (tried last week on my Honda).

9 hours ago, Paul2359 said:

Which MG do you have, an MGF? I used to have one and they are great. My Boxster reminds me of it in so many ways, its just a bigger version ?

My charger has a maintenance setting which is designed for simply maintaining batteries at their optimum charge level so is designed for the battery to be connected all the time. I used to take my battery off and leave it on the charger if my old TT was off the road over winter for two to three months.

Aldi do have some very good stuff at ridiculous prices. I've just bought a 2.5hp compressor and a load of air tools. Just about every air tool I'm likely ever to need and the whole lot came to under 180 quid.

MichaelAC mine is the tf, it’s a bit of a wreck having a couple of dints in the body work and the paints not too good In places but the problem is that it would cost far more than the car would ever be worth to put it right.

The thing is that it’s still good fun to just put the roof down and just go for a ride and I do enjoy working on it when it needs it.

Hi all, so after reading how much everyone likes these Aldi chargers Iv just gone and bought one for £12.99! Reading the instructions though it says to disconnect the battery from the car when you use it but on my bikes I used to have a permanent pair connected and a small plug to the trickle charger! I assumed it’s the same with cars, I only need it as a trickle charger as the cars used probably used 4/5 times a month, so do you all disconnect the battery then ? 

I’ve made a trip to Aldi too for when she’s not in use in the cold. Having said that, 3.5c with the roof down today, woolie hat on, what a buzz. 

More winter trips to come long as it’s dry, ??

54 minutes ago, Albeyo said:

Hi all, so after reading how much everyone likes these Aldi chargers Iv just gone and bought one for £12.99! Reading the instructions though it says to disconnect the battery from the car when you use it but on my bikes I used to have a permanent pair connected and a small plug to the trickle charger! I assumed it’s the same with cars, I only need it as a trickle charger as the cars used probably used 4/5 times a month, so do you all disconnect the battery then ? 

Nope stays connected. 

My battery maintainer stayed connected via my cig lighter socket for weeks at a time in the winter. During reasonable weather, I used the car as a daily driver and so the alternator did its job just fine.

Permanently connected for over 5 years less a few days when it actually moves! Just be warned they dont reset after a power failure, you need to press the buttons manually to get it back on charge

I bought a Lidl one a few weeks back when they were on offer. Great product. The lidl one didn't come with a cigarette lighter fitment so I also bought some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MA6GOGR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (almost as much as the charger!) and now plug it into the cigarette lighter which is permanently live on my 987.

Works great.

Dave

3 hours ago, entdgc said:

I bought a Lidl one a few weeks back when they were on offer. Great product. The lidl one didn't come with a cigarette lighter fitment so I also bought some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MA6GOGR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (almost as much as the charger!) and now plug it into the cigarette lighter which is permanently live on my 987.

Works great.

Dave

I presume you cut and soldered the wires as the Lidl one doesn't have a quick release style connector 

I’ve just ordered this to connect to my Lidl charger. Has crimps over which heat shrink sleeving or electrical tape can be used to isolate them  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KUNCAN-Cigarette-Lighter-Lights-Extension/dp/B07538NXPP

2 hours ago, edc said:

I presume you cut and soldered the wires as the Lidl one doesn't have a quick release style connector 

Correct. Soldered and heat wrapped. I think I ended up with a choice of battery clamps or cigarette lighter. I wanted a longer lead otherwise cheaper options were available.

Dave

Archived