map update for 987.1

Arl30

Hi how do I update the satnav disc? Plenty on ebay 2015 but don't want to get one bought to realize I need something else to go with it. 

I have the pcm2.1, with Bose, does the new one do postcodes? 

Thanks in advance! 

It depends on the model year of your car.  If it is 2005 or 2006 it may need system updates before the new maps will work. 

No, PCM2.1 does not do full postcode searches, only partial.

Drop me a PM and I'll give you details of the updates, and where to get the map dvd at the minimum cost.  ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 3:01 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

It depends on the model year of your car.  If it is 2005 or 2006 it may need system updates before the new maps will work. 

No, PCM2.1 does not do full postcode searches, only partial.

Drop me a PM and I'll give you details of the updates, and where to get the map dvd at the minimum cost.  ?

Keep meaning to come over and get this done Richard. Will be in touch later this week. 

Was out with a group of Porsche on a run and discovered I miss 7 digit sat nav more than I anticipated 

56 minutes ago, Arl30 said:

Hi did you try them first to see if they worked? How do you want payed? 

Regards 

Steven 

So sorry I've just checked and one of the discs is missing. They did however work fine was from satnavishop.co.uk £30 

They offer 3 versions depending on your model...

43 minutes ago, Rojdav said:

So sorry I've just checked and one of the discs is missing. They did however work fine was from satnavishop.co.uk £30 

They offer 3 versions depending on your model...

The missing one is probably the main one, that you have to leave in the nav drive on a 987.1

@Arl30 - have a search around in the forums.  Haggis got a disc and made half a dozen copies.  Each of those people then made half a dozen copies.  Find the post and start asking if anyone has a spare disc.  Don't bother asking me though as I don't.

56 minutes ago, Araf said:

The missing one is probably the main one, that you have to leave in the nav drive on a 987.1

@Arl30 - have a search around in the forums.  Haggis got a disc and made half a dozen copies.  Each of those people then made half a dozen copies.  Find the post and start asking if anyone has a spare disc.  Don't bother asking me though as I don't.

Yes it would be the map disc that is missing, the two update discs I have.

6 minutes ago, Rojdav said:

Yes it would be the map disc that is missing, the two update discs I have.

If it needs to be left in the drive.... then thats where it probably is - unless you made a copy .

Hi thanks everybody I didn't expect it for free so haven't pushed Richard who kindly offered to send me one ! I will wait until he contacts me. 

Will I need the other 2 discs? 

Regards 

Steven 

47 minutes ago, Arl30 said:

Hi thanks everybody I didn't expect it for free so haven't pushed Richard who kindly offered to send me one ! I will wait until he contacts me. 

Regards 

Steven 

you can have my 2 update discs PM your address and you can have them for free

4 hours ago, Arl30 said:

Regards 

Steven 

No you won't. Yours is 2008, so does not need software updates.  Check your PM.  I was waiting for your address.

8 hours ago, Pinewood said:

Keep meaning to come over and get this done Richard. Will be in touch later this week. 

Was out with a group of Porsche on a run and discovered I miss 7 digit sat nav more than I anticipated 

I can do the 7 digit post code update, no problem.  As for maps, new (MY 2019)) maps were released a week or so ago.  I'm waiting for some more info before I can tackle that.

19 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I can do the 7 digit post code update, no problem.  As for maps, new (MY 2019)) maps were released a week or so ago.  I'm waiting for some more info before I can tackle that.

Hi Richard, you kindly helped me with an up-date before, thank you. Are you saying it is possible to up-grade a 987.1 2005 to full post code?

Just a note to the PCM2.1'ers.  Be very careful about randomly using update CDs.  It depends on the existing software level which updates you have to apply.  Using the wrong disk, or in the wrong order, can really screw up the system.  Also, if you have an early Bose amp (late 2004 build date), you can brick it by applying updates.  Aftermarket devices like the Dension also cause updates to fail.  I have made special update disks to bypass some of these problems, so if in doubt drop me a PM.

18 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Hi Richard, w.r.t the MY2019 maps,  do these apply accross the board. I.e will they be available for my ‘15 981?

I didn't make myself terribly clear earlier.  With PCM3.0 in the 987.2 you have to update the operating system software to get 7 digit post code entry.  The snag is that after the updates the old maps won't work, and have to be updated too.

With PCM3.1 in the 981 you can do the update for 7 digit codes without having to update the maps.

Thx Richard. In my case I already have full postcode on the 981, so I assume it will just be a case of using the map disks?  Is this something that’s then worth looking out for cheaper map disks or is it something I will need to go through OPC for (note I am in Warranty)

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

Thx Richard. In my case I already have full postcode on the 981, so I assume it will just be a case of using the map disks?  Is this something that’s then worth looking out for cheaper map disks or is it something I will need to go through OPC for (note I am in Warranty)

The map disks on their own aren't much use.  You have to enable them by entering an activation code with a PIWIS tester.  The codes are based on the VIN, and there are other sources apart from an OPC.

Archived