Kev

Kev62

Hi All

i am thinking about garaging my 981 over the winter. Question would disconnecting the battery cause any problem? Also are there any other considerations regarding storing the car over the winter months?

Thanks in advance for any information 

Kev

3 hours ago, Kev62 said:

Thanks Forest. Are they ok as I have read some horror stories about them knackering batteries 

OPCs use them on their showroom cars - admittedly the Porsche-badged ones, but I'd have absolutely no concerns about the CTEK ones (which I think is what is under the Porsche badge anyway). I've used them for many years without any problems. The more modern CTEKs have an AGM mode for the type of battery you're likely to have on a 981; I don't know if the cheaper versions you can get from Lidl etc have that mode.

My 981 has gone on CTEK over the last four winters without any problems. I use the cigarette type plug that goes into the charger port in the glove box. 

My previous ragtop had always been connected during the winter months without any issues so I bought a new ctek mxs 5.0 two years ago when I bought the car, it hasn’t been connected yet as I keep on driving it 😆 

my battery often goes flat quick as I barely drive it... Should I use the Ctek to recharge and re condition the battery?

5 minutes ago, Adamsky said:

my battery often goes flat quick as I barely drive it... Should I use the Ctek to recharge and re condition the battery?

A CTEK or a similar device is designed to be attached  permantly when the car is not in use. It keeps the battery charged and in optinum condition so the car is always ready  to go. A battery conditioner is not designed to charge a flat battery,  its designed to stop the battery becoming flat. It will however top up a battery that is low on charge as opposed to completely flat. Plug the conditioner into a wall socket and attaced to the battery via crocodile clips or with a suitable plug, to a aux.12v socket inside the car or the cigarette lighter socket. Get one,  they are a great little device. The Lidl ones (when availble ) are good too and abour half the price of a CTEK, which start at around £50

2 minutes ago, Topbox said:

A CTEK or a similar device is designed to be attached  permantly when the car is not in use. It keeps the battery charged and in optinum condition so the car is always ready  to go. A battery conditioner is not designed to charge a flat battery,  its designed to stop the battery becoming flat. It will however top up a battery that is low on charge as opposed to completely flat. Plug the conditioner into a wall socket and attaced to the battery via crocodile clips or with a suitable plug, to a aux.12v socket inside the car or the cigarette lighter socket. Get one,  they are a great little device. The Lidl ones (when availble ) are good too and abour half the price of a CTEK, which start at around £50

Thanks Topbox, I think I have one of those cigarette socket things for the Ctek battery charger already. I will do this over the weekend.

Cheers

36 minutes ago, Adamsky said:

I'd second everything that @Topbox said above, and add that allowing a lead-acid battery to go flat is a really bad idea as deep discharges damage the plates. You'll get away with it a certain number of times, but sooner or later you'll find that you won't be able to charge it at all. Far better the slight bother of attaching it to a Ctek each time it will be left for any time.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Jon61 said:

I'd second everything that @Topbox said above, and add that allowing a lead-acid battery to go flat is a really bad idea as deep discharges damage the plates. You'll get away with it a certain number of times, but sooner or later you'll find that you won't be able to charge it at all. Far better the slight bother of attaching it to a Ctek each time it will be left for any time.

Thanks Jon, I actually put the Ctek on it yesterday.

Thanks al lfor advice

So my Boxster spends its time hibernating in a lockup down the street and there's no power. Disconnecting the battery is a pain in the proverbial what with the electric release for the front lid. So decided to try a bit of a science experiment.

I have 2 good 12v car batteries in my garage. I have a small DC to AC inverter (a Sealey PI300). I have a spare LIdl charger. I have a plan... and what's the worst that could happen?!

I connected the 2 12v batteries in parallel. I connected the inverter to the two batteries. I connected the charger to the inverter. I connected the charger to the Boxster.

Viola! 😉 Saturday morning the charger was reporting the Boxster's battery to be fully charged. The inverter shuts off if its supply drops below 12V but it was still happily humming away so the 2 12V batteries will still going strong.

Will repeat this process once a fortnight until the 12V batteries need recharging. When they do I'll bring them back home, charge them and start the process all over again.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, Kevin G said:

My 981 has gone on CTEK over the last four winters without any problems. I use the cigarette type plug that goes into the charger port in the glove box. 

Hang on 

The cigarette lighter thing in my glove box is dead when car is off. So how can the charger work?

On 12/5/2018 at 11:55 AM, Jon61 said:

The more modern CTEKs have an AGM mode for the type of battery you're likely to have on a 981; I don't know if the cheaper versions you can get from Lidl etc have that mode.

Yes it does and at circa £15 It's a steal. I have two 👍

Archived