Peoples thoughts on these cheap or free mods for the 986

the baron

Can't see the YouTube link but one of the best free mods you can do is drill/slot your top mount turrets. This allows you up to an extra half to one degree negative camber. This wasn't new when I had it done but I think was the first to write about it and do it here. 

That is weird, I just watched this video yesterday:neo:

I have done 4 of the 9 on my car. Namely the de-snorkel, 4 wheel spacers, use of fuel additive and de-amber rear and side repeaters (amberectomy still pending). Very happy with all of them - fuel additive is hard to quantify but not seen Redex here. Maybe it works better than the stuff I have used?

I’ve done the desnorkel, nice induction sound not sure if it noticibly improved performance but it did decrease the fuel consumption, I love the sound so keeping the revs up dropped mpg! I’ve got an OBD reader that connects to an app on my phone think it cost about £10 and does the basics (won’t reset airbag light). Thought about the Crios mod but as you can’t undo it once it’s done if you don’t like the effect I’ve sort of held back. Mines a facelift so deambered already. Interested in the thoughts about Redex or petrol additives in general good or bad on higher mileage engines?¥

1 hour ago, CarlM said:

I’ve done the desnorkel, nice induction sound not sure if it noticibly improved performance but it did decrease the fuel consumption, I love the sound so keeping the revs up dropped mpg! I’ve got an OBD reader that connects to an app on my phone think it cost about £10 and does the basics (won’t reset airbag light). Thought about the Crios mod but as you can’t undo it once it’s done if you don’t like the effect I’ve sort of held back. Mines a facelift so deambered already. Interested in the thoughts about Redex or petrol additives in general good or bad on higher mileage engines?¥

I’m interested in the Redex additive too, interesting about the desnorkling decreasing mpg, I’d rather have higher mpg then a slightly better sound so will probably leave that mod to others.

I do not really pay much attention to mpg, so never noticed if desnorkeling made any difference to it or not? Whatever the mpg, it is still way better than my other daily - the ML55 lol. I loved the improved sound though, and sitting on the left side, I get the full benefit:neo:.

2 hours ago, Loz987 said:

I might have a look at the desnorkel over the holidays... Krios did nothing for mine, so I guess that’s good there’s no drone. 

I think you’ll like the desnorkel the sound reminds me of my biking days when I fitted bell mouths to the carbs. Interested to hear there was no drone with Crios might give it ago. Did you drill or just punch through? 

Redex and similar have been around for for years. These days with additive based petrol you don't really need it. Having said that I always chuck in a bottle of Wynn's injector cleaner in any new car I buy. I don't know how the previous owners will have looked after the car. For my Boxster it only gets Shell V Power which should be plenty enough to keep it good. 

11 hours ago, edc said:

Redex and similar have been around for for years. These days with additive based petrol you don't really need it. Having said that I always chuck in a bottle of Wynn's injector cleaner in any new car I buy. I don't know how the previous owners will have looked after the car. For my Boxster it only gets Shell V Power which should be plenty enough to keep it good. 

Would you recommend that over Redex or are they the same thing?

I've not used Redex but these are all more or less the same thing. You are unlikely to need any of them and I doubt you will see any real difference in use since you've had your car a while. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

I've not used Redex but these are all more or less the same thing. You are unlikely to need any of them and I doubt you will see any real difference in use since you've had your car a while. 

Not looking for increased performance as such but it’s almost hitting 200k and am thinking that it might help clean out the injectors etc

It won't do any harm but you could try the Wynn's injector cleaner or there are similar products from Forte which have an ok reputation. Use a good quality fuel and you should do fine though. 

7 hours ago, edc said:

It won't do any harm but you could try the Wynn's injector cleaner or there are similar products from Forte which have an ok reputation. Use a good quality fuel and you should do fine though. 

@edc so is it an old wives tale that the fuel comes from the same refinery and same storage tank and that there is no difference at all? Obviously with exception of fuel like v Power etc?

On 12/17/2018 at 7:40 PM, edc said:

Can't see the YouTube link but one of the best free mods you can do is drill/slot your top mount turrets. This allows you up to an extra half to one degree negative camber. This wasn't new when I had it done but I think was the first to write about it and do it here. 

Do you remember how much you extended  your top mount slots to get that extra level of camber? 

On 12/18/2018 at 8:34 PM, CarlM said:

I think you’ll like the desnorkel the sound reminds me of my biking days when I fitted bell mouths to the carbs. Interested to hear there was no drone with Crios might give it ago. Did you drill or just punch through? 

@986CKY carefully drilled both my holes

On 12/19/2018 at 10:39 PM, edc said:

I definitely saw a difference when I used Redex on my S Type Jag. I saw an immediate improvement of 5-10% fuel consumption.

Archived