Won’t start

Withy

Hi all

my 981 is complaining today. I used the spare key and a message came up that the key battery needs replaced. No biggie. The car had all electrical life but only just turned over and wouldn’t start. Same with primary key. It locks, unlocks, all gauges ok, windows up and down, but only just manages a pathetic turnover but still won’t actually get into life

have for it connected to my wife’s car now via jump leads but still no joy.

any suggestions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like your battery has bit the dust mamte  the car will throw all manner of cr*p at you . . get to alfords and get a new battery for it . while you can still  pop the front bonnet up ......you will find everything with be hunky dory when you do the change 

THIS BATTERY WILL DO THE JOB

Thanks guys. Yes same kinda thing happened in my 987, strange thing for me is that everything that wants power is getting it ok and using it.

wont hurt to replace it though, that’s for sure

cheers

Going to pickup a new battery tomorrow.

I would have thought that with a BMW jumped to it, it would get over the battery issues and actually start the car (but it doesn't).  Am thinking there may be something more sinister lurking...

@Withy I’m sure I’ve read that 981 batteries can be tricky to change - not so much the physical changeover, but in so much as a new battery needs to be coded to the car? Might just be certain types of battery, and possibly another way of Porsche extracting the P..... Porsche-tax. 

Could all just be b0ll0x though!

mine went totally flat about a year ago sat in the garage for about 3 weeks and ironically I had recently bought a c-tek charger, but it was hooked-up to my sons removed car battery in the garage. Never gave it a moments thought that mine would be flat! Struggled to get into the car initially- the manual’s instruction to rotate the physical key in a certain direction is the ONE bit that hasn’t been “translated” for RHD vehicles! Luckily my battery survived the discharge to zero and seems to be OK for now.

hope you get sorted easily 👍

56 minutes ago, Davidbf1.com said:

@Withy I’m sure I’ve read that 981 batteries can be tricky to change - not so much the physical changeover, but in so much as a new battery needs to be coded to the car? Might just be certain types of battery, and possibly another way of Porsche extracting the P..... Porsche-tax. 

Could all just be b0ll0x though!

mine went totally flat about a year ago sat in the garage for about 3 weeks and ironically I had recently bought a c-tek charger, but it was hooked-up to my sons removed car battery in the garage. Never gave it a moments thought that mine would be flat! Struggled to get into the car initially- the manual’s instruction to rotate the physical key in a certain direction is the ONE bit that hasn’t been “translated” for RHD vehicles! Luckily my battery survived the discharge to zero and seems to be OK for now.

hope you get sorted easily 👍

battery change is as easy as any other car mate .  no scare worries . remove  neg first .. you may have to take the car for a spin  to get steering . angle and abs working so sorted after a few hundred yards . .  even jumping  wont help if the battery has gone pop mate the pork are very fussy . about battery . all will befinee with new battery mate just use common sense 

Cool, I went to pickup the new battery tonight, but can't be bothered doing it tonight.  Will try tomorrow and hope all is OK.  @Davidbf1.com I also read about coding etc, but it does all appear to be boll0cks, there is something about the car knowing the new battery is installed so that you can be warned about impending failure.. Probs need to check a bit more, but 1st things 1st, lets get it going first.  Thanks @fat haggis for the reassuring words too :)

New battery installed, same issue.  I have no problem with having replaced it though, as it was the original one in there and probably time for a new one.

All electrics OK, but just a  pathetic attempt to turn over.  Homestart breakdown now coming out. I guess they won't do anything other than take it to nearest place for repair (I'd use George Morrison in Rutherglen for this if it needs it)

The display is saying "Press Brake" on occasion which made me thing of the 981 brake bush change..  I also get a "remove key from ignition" now and again

Now I'm googling what a starter motor costs...😫

I don't have a diagnostic ODB toy to look at codes.. I think it's heading to local indy for some TLC

24 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

Let us know what’s up mate. Sorry it’s still playing up. I can stick the code reader in the post special deliver if you want me to. 

No prob Sam, it’s away to George M now, thanks for the offer.

roadside assistance guy knows some master mechanic guy that says starter motors can be a prob. An hours labour and then the part. 

Will see later on what the story is

40116323913_82ba7a0c2b_b.jpg

Could be a poor earth connection, when was the car last used? Maybe it  got a bit of salt spray in the wrong place recently? When you jumped it, did you just connect across the old battery terminals? This would not bypass the poor earth.

I think the coding thing is about ensuring the battery gets the optimal charging current for its condition and age, but probably not a big issue.

Yes this is what the local indy said too.  Hasn't been used for about a week.  New battery is in though, but when I jumped I used red to red and black to the negative post in the frunk bay

Hopefully fixable soon

5 hours ago, fat haggis said:

how is the car mate .    clear your messages . 

Was late into the workshop, so they only had a quick look today.  Seems only error code was something from the tracker (maybe).  I didn't re-subscribe to the tracker setup which the previous owner had, but no idea if this is the cause of the woes.  Hopefully get more info tomorrow.

Seems my VTS is kaput.  Could be quite costly.. probably about £700 for the part and 4 hours fix.  Oh dear.

Ah well.. I still just want it back to play.  My £55 clear wind deflector arrived today and I have no car to put it on! :)

11 minutes ago, Withy said:

Seems my VTS is kaput.  Could be quite costly.. probably about £700 for the part and 4 hours fix.  Oh dear.

Ah well.. I still just want it back to play.  My £55 clear wind deflector arrived today and I have no car to put it on! :)

Ouch🙁, what's a VTS?

That is my next question to them, but reading up, there has been VTS preparation since 06, and if there is some integration between immobilizer and that prep, maybe it needs replacing.  

That’s not how VTS works.  

It shouldn’t prevent starting. You carry the fob with you (if you have the tracker activated). If the car is started without fob been present then tracker calls central control centre who contact you to tell you can is being driven without fob, they then track car to tell you/police where it is. There should be nothing that prevents the car being started that I am aware of.

Archived