Won’t start

Withy

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

That’s not how VTS works.  

It shouldn’t prevent starting. You carry the fob with you (if you have the tracker activated). If the car is started without fob been present then tracker calls central control centre who contact you to tell you can is being driven without fob, they then track car to tell you/police where it is. There should be nothing that prevents the car being started that I am aware of.

Thanks @Greenman i’ll give the Indy a call in the morning and get the latest. They did say they weren’t done troubleshooting 

It does seem odd that both fobs are in the car, and it hasn’t been activated /subscribed to anyway.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the car back today after having the rather pricey VTS control until replaced.  Was great to be back in the car (if a bit nervous since it's had some electronic work done).  Anyway, stopped in at the shops on the way home, came out with a bag of shopping, put it in the boot, started the car, it fired into life, and then died.  Now it's doing the same as it did as it was last week.  all electrics are OK but a pathetic attempt to turn over if the key is turned quickly, but if ignition turned, paused then started it does nothing at all.

Indy has been good, came out to where I was, gave me a lift home, and is now waiting at the car for his recovery guy to take it back to the garage.  They have it for a few days as I'm away.

Disappointed for sure.. but just want it back and working preferably without me being nervous about it doing the same again.

😧

What rationale  did they use for justifying that the VTS was the issue?   There is no where in any documentation that I have seen that might suggest the VTS has any relationship with the immobiliser or might somehow prevent the car starting.

6 minutes ago, Greenman said:

What rationale  did they use for justifying that the VTS was the issue?   There is no where in any documentation that I have seen that might suggest the VTS has any relationship with the immobiliser or might somehow prevent the car starting.

PIWIS was blaming VTS module.  It was the only error which was shown, and replacing it did indeed seem to resolve the issue if temporarily..  Bearing in mind what has happened tonight I'll be requesting that they just revert to the original, and refund me £666 of the total bill.  I'd hate to think that my car was blowing this module though.. that would be very uncool.  Won't know anything else until they plug it back into diags tomorrow

Right, so understandable I guess. So maybe you have got an issue with VTS but it’s not that that’s causing the starting issue. That’s the problem nowerdays it’s just following the ECU error codes without any real other diagnosis. 

There are some reports of similar issues

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=231&t=1740679

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=231&t=1428976

i’ll reply to those to see if there was any more info

I also dug out the VTS documentation from the paperwork that came with the car and called the control centre. Car hasn’t been active on a subscription for some time, so it’s nothing that they’ve triggered remotely. Good to rule that out. (There is a note in the VTS documentation which says :  

1. The Security Operating Center (SOC) can prevent the engine from starting if the vehicle has been stolen

Although this is from a Macan VTS manual http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2017-macan/14/231-37032/PVTS-Porsche-Vehicle-Tracking-System-Operation-with-driver-card

1 hour ago, fat haggis said:

I hope you get it sorted in the most painless way mate. Keep us informed. I just noticed my fobs are in the docs folder and I keep that in the safe not the car 🚗?

Yeh me too, I’ve never activated the tracker (there seemed no appreciable reduction in insurance premiums for doing so) and fobs are just tucked away in a drawer.  It is worrying if a VTS fault can immobilise the car,  though in Withys case the car does seem to turn over and splutter into life, would seem a strange way of going about immobilising it!  Sounds more like fuel pump, coil packs or similar to me (but I’m no mechanic😉)

Slow turnover points towards a battery / motor / earthing issue. If it was an immobiliser of some kind it would either turn over normally but not start or just not turn over. You have changed the battery so that leaves the motor or wiring/earth. It started yesterday and then died - I would be checking all the earth straps on the engine.

As others have said, its not the VTS. I should think the indi just read a fault code and replaced the one thing that it said there may have been some kind of fault with.

Spoke with the Indy today. Definitely is the VTS, and when he spoke to Porsche this is something they’ve seen a few times, they said that they also have a high number of replacement VTS units having further issues. Apparently there are 65 versions of the unit for 981/991 depending on age, model year, which way the wind is blowing etc... findings today have shown The new replacement VTS unit installed has also gone kaput, and they’ve tracked it down to some wiring loom issue feeding the VTS.  I asked them to put in the old VTS just incase we could remove some of the ££ damage from my wallet , but it was reportedly completely dead.  Porsche are replacing the (replacement) VTS foc, so the car will be sorted tomorrow. I’m away at the moment but will pick it up later in the week.

i just hope that this is it sorted properly.

Digging out the paperwork was also good to do last night as I realise the car needs an MOT (can’t you get electronic reminders of that nowadays??)

appreciate all the advice and wishes to get sorted.  I still love my 981!

2 hours ago, topradio said:

Slow turnover points towards a battery / motor / earthing issue. If it was an immobiliser of some kind it would either turn over normally but not start or just not turn over. You have changed the battery so that leaves the motor or wiring/earth. It started yesterday and then died - I would be checking all the earth straps on the engine.

As others have said, its not the VTS. I should think the indi just read a fault code and replaced the one thing that it said there may have been some kind of fault with.

The car only turned over if you immediately went from ignition to start.

if there was any delay between ignition and starting there was no engine movement at all

35 minutes ago, Withy said:

Spoke with the Indy today. Definitely is the VTS, and when he spoke to Porsche this is something they’ve seen a few times, they said that they also have a high number of replacement VTS units having further issues. Apparently there are 65 versions of the unit for 981/991 depending on age, model year, which way the wind is blowing etc... findings today have shown The new replacement VTS unit installed has also gone kaput, and they’ve tracked it down to some wiring loom issue feeding the VTS. 

So they found a fault in the loom which they didn't spot the first time and the VTS is faulty (a known problem)?

3 hours ago, Withy said:

Digging out the paperwork was also good to do last night as I realise the car needs an MOT (can’t you get electronic reminders of that nowadays??)

You can sign up for text/e-mail reminders for the MOT at https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

Hope that your 981 is finally fixed and wallet damage minimised!

Just picked the car up.  I think I actually missed not having it!

All working perfectly so far, and the Indy put it through MOT as that was due too, sailed through no advisories.

Indy explained the setup/diagnosis/fault and I'm very very happy with the explanation and the service.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Geo Morrison to anyone up this neck of the woods - they really know their stuff and customer service is exemplary.   

Roof down on way home as there was a sliver of sunshine, so @fat haggis I have that smile back already. :)

59 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Glad you are sorted Withy, it is somewhat concerning though that if the VTS does go kaput it might leave you stranded!

Yeah sure is @Greenman So far I can't stop using the car whenever I can, and at the moment it's like an adventure if it'll start or not (just me being paranoid I hope for the moment)... reminds me of when I owned Alfa's ! :)

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, Withy said:

Just picked the car up.  I think I actually missed not having it!

All working perfectly so far, and the Indy put it through MOT as that was due too, sailed through no advisories.

Indy explained the setup/diagnosis/fault and I'm very very happy with the explanation and the service.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Geo Morrison to anyone up this neck of the woods - they really know their stuff and customer service is exemplary.   

Roof down on way home as there was a sliver of sunshine, so @fat haggis I have that smile back already. :)

Did the Indy actually confirm that a faulty VTS caused the car not crank? Can this not be by passed so not to happen again & leave you stranded? Especially if not subscribed to the service anymore! In your case, it happened with 2 different VTS. Or, was something else the culprit that caused the 2 VTS fail?

On 9/16/2020 at 3:10 PM, Maurice Gruppetta said:

Did the Indy actually confirm that a faulty VTS caused the car not crank? Can this not be by passed so not to happen again & leave you stranded? Especially if not subscribed to the service anymore! In your case, it happened with 2 different VTS. Or, was something else the culprit that caused the 2 VTS fail?

In hindsight this was probably drain holes, causing the vts unit to fry, and hence not start

Archived