987 Suspension

Jakeboy

Looking for some advice on replacement suspension for my 987.1 2.7 2005 (97k) Completed a 400 mile run last weekend to Applecross in the Western Highlands and the car performed without fault.  Reversed out of garage this morning and the bottom coil of my OSR spring decide it wanted to part company with the rest of the spring!  Thank god it didn't happen half way up the Bealach Na Ba last weekend 😥

I've read as many posts as I can today but am still a bit confused about which way to go with this?  I'll be doing the spanner work myself so no labour charges involved but not sure whether to;

1. Just change the 2 rear springs for OPC originals and carry on or,

2. Replace all 4 springs for OPC originals

However, given the mileage, I expect that it is well overdue for a full suspension refresh on all 4 corners i.e. springs, dampers, mounts, drop-links etc. which is where it gets a bit confusing.  I'm looking for some advice on what others have done and what parts/kits they have gone for. Obviously, I don't want to spend a fortune going to OPC so was thinking aftermarket kits i.e. M030?? The car is standard and I don't want to radically mod from OEM i.e. significantly lowered, but happy to have some enhancement where possible.  This has just happened and so I'm only just starting to research options, what's available and costs etc. but given the vast knowledge base on here, I though it worthwhile to seek some advice to hopefully steer me in the right direction.

I'd be grateful for any advice from my learned forum members👍

Jason

Just buy a new pair of aftermarket rear springs, fit them and enjoy your car. People spend too much time agonising over 'upgrades' and then trying to convince themselves that it's made much of a difference IMHO.

On 2/23/2019 at 6:28 PM, Nobbie said:

Just buy a new pair of aftermarket rear springs, fit them and enjoy your car. People spend too much time agonising over 'upgrades' and then trying to convince themselves that it's made much of a difference IMHO.

Except the one area where you can make a both dramatic and cost effective impact on the way the car drives is the suspension.

Anyway, not really any such thing as M030 for the 987. Probably the best non-extreme option would be to use Bilstein sport shocks with PASM springs. Ride height would be the same as a factory PASM car, so only -10mm versus a standard non-PASM 987.

I would in your position (if funds allow) use it as an excuse to upgrade.

Fresh Bilstein shocks and some H&R -30mm springs (personal choice) or if you don’t want any real lowering but some improvement maybe just the H&R -10mm springs. You don’t need PASM active shocks and a nightmare to retro fit if your car isn’t already equipped. I’m not aware of M030 optional sports stuff for 987, I thought that was 986 option only (and was -10mm like the 987 PASM but without active shocks). 

However... If there is nothing with your front suspension or rear shocks. Is it one of those if it aint broken dont fix it moments, mayve just replace the rear springs as a pair and have an local indie fit them and inspect the rest of the suspension whilst their and change as recommended anything else.

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm sorely tempted with Pothole's suggestion re Bilstein Sports with slightly lower springs, they look pretty decent. Unfortunately, funds are a bit shy at the mo so will probably just order a couple of aftermarket standards to get me going as Nobbie suggests and take a view on the condition of all the other components when I fit the springs.  I can see a four corner upgrade in the near future though👍

FYI I found a broken spring when I first got my 987.1 and had to have the springs replaced. I opted for the H+R 10mm lowered set which was also listed as M030 on the invoice. Recently I measured the ride height unloaded and it was -15mm at the front and -10mm at the rear from standard. The reason I checked this is the little mud flaps at the front seem to hit all the speed humps etc unless you accelerate over them, so I am glad I didn’t go lower. I have the original shocks so they are probably a bit tired and it is slightly crashy over the bumps. However add a passenger and overnite bag or a bag of potatoes and the ride and handling are sublime. I have however replaced most of the old suspension components now with new due to age and mileage.

I think the set of springs are relatively cheap at around the £200 make where as OE is around £600 (if I recall correctly). So might be cheaper to replace a set than just 2 x OE. Take your pick of supplier but mine came next day from Design 911.

Oh and probably worth changing the top mount bearings while you are at it for what they cost.

I think it was temporarychicken who years ago bought new springs for his 981, I think H&R, and I was interested to see the comment on the irregular-spaced coils, so (IIRC) the ride would be compliant at low stress but stiffer under load.

If your suspension is that shagged, you’ll notice a difference even replacing with genuine new springs.

I’ve had both rears & both fronts changed on my 987, following a spring failure at different times. Didn’t notice a difference at all, apart from my Bank account balance! 😂

Decided to just order aftermarket springs which arrived on Friday.  Started the strip down yesterday and changing the spring was relatively straightforward.  I did wonder about alignment of the shock relative to the top mount and hub carrier assembly (rotation) as it could easily be out when the strut assembly is built up on the bench i.e. the strut not lining up with the slot in the Hub Carrier when installed.  I had a couple of attempts of trial fitting and adjusting until I got it lined up and all looked good.

But...there's always a but!  During the stripdown, I noticed that the outer CV has had some previous tampering with as the boot has all but disintegrated , the grease has gone and more worryingly, the retaining nut was cross threaded when I removed it! 

So, not getting too upset I resigned myself to the fact I would need a new CV Joint , no big deal says me - wrong!

Having done some research last night (on here and t'interweb), it seems that the outer CV in not removable and I'll need to get a new driveshaft! Is this right?

The other side doesn't seem to be in the same state, so hopefully only a problem on the offside. 

It seems I've got a new issue to now spend lots of time (and probably money too), researching to find the best option/supplier which is hopefully not OPC!  I'll start a new thread on that topic.

Jason

I sourced a used shaft with joints when the CV went on my 987C 3.4.

I couldn't find anywhere to source a new shaft at a sensible price. These parts don't fail too often and in that context a used one is a reasonable prospect.

Archived