Wheel Nut Covers

romeodelta

Like a lot of you, I have unsightly nuts.

I got some 19mm nut covers from eBay, but unfortunately they don't seem to fit.

I'm sure I have the factory ones and the locking wheel nut, which I understand won't fit.

Which covers do I need?

I assume 20mm will fit, but I don't want to buy another set to throw in the bin.

For a 987 ? I simply purchased covers the same size as the socket needed to remove the wheel nuts, from memory I think that is indeed 19mm but on a 986. I made my caps stay on the locking nuts by placing a small  elastic band onto the lockers before pushing the caps on, bit fiddly but you dont do it often.

I think I paid about a tenner for a set of covers. from ebay. The gunmetal coloured ones look good with silver wheels, I started with chrome but they looked a bit bling to my eye. If your nuts are 19mm maybe you just got a bad batch, lots of sellers on  ebay I believe.

If like me you bought the cheap ones, they don't stay on, you have to pay £15 and up for a set that will stay on, I bought a nice set of smoked chrome that stay on and look brilliant!!!

u2qwLp0.jpg

I bought a cheap set of chrome coloured ones. They fit snugly indeed i give them a squirt of WD40 to aid later removal. Only issue i have is the finish peels off so they look a mess but i only use them in winter as i have decent bolts for summer.

Anyone got an Ebay link to some nice ones that will fit a 986 ?  My nuts aren't the prettiest :D

It might be worth checking the nuts to see what state they are in before you spend money on covers. When changing my wheels a couple of months ago I realised that more than half the nuts had broken collars/washers and were in v poor condition.

I replaced them with these and so far so good - they look great and appear to be high quality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-ALLOY-WHEEL-BOLTS-LOCKING-SET-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-987-981-LUG-NUTS-T4e/232544878938?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 hour ago, dim33 said:

It might be worth checking the nuts to see what state they are in before you spend money on covers. When changing my wheels a couple of months ago I realised that more than half the nuts had broken collars/washers and were in v poor condition.

I replaced them with these and so far so good - they look great and appear to be high quality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-ALLOY-WHEEL-BOLTS-LOCKING-SET-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-987-981-LUG-NUTS-T4e/232544878938?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Can vouch for that seller. And probably a wise route to go down replacing nuts rather than just caps, saves all the grief when changing wheels/ cleaning etc

Had some from them myself, polished them up with some Autosol and looked the exact same as OEM ones 👍🏼

Just to close the loop on this, I went for some silicone ones this time.

They seem to fit well, haven't melted or fallen off and they fit on the locking nut too which is a bonus.

I may replace the bolts at service time, but this works as a temporary measure.

Where did you get them from, have you got a link, may take a look myself .... ?

Cheers mate, sorry I never noticed !

You coming over for the Ashes? 🙂 . I have managed to get tickets for day 3 at Edgbaston.  

Archived