987 due 12 year service

Chuckie66

Dilemma, I’ve a 2007  3.4S, one previous owner with 59k on the clock. It was regularly serviced by an indie. 

Its due the major 12year service, sparks, air filters, manual gearbox oil change, oil and filter, serpentine belt. Been quoted 800 pounds at an indie. Brake pads and disks all good. Water pump has not been done so maybe it’s time for a preemptive change?

I’ve bought the service items with intentions to do myself, but will mean missing the stamp in the book. I’m quite handy at servicing and regularly serviced my previous cars. But the big rub is I’m not sure how long I’m going to keep the Boxster, maybe 6months, maybe 18months as worried about long term ownership with potential bore score. Am I better off doing this myself, probably need to buy an oil reset device, or handing it to the experts and if so will it add 800 back onto the price.

I’m thinking the car is worth about 12k, thoughts is that too optermistic.

comments appreciated

Most indys do a basic annual inspection before even a minor or major. You could do this then do the rest of the big service yourself. 

11 minutes ago, edc said:

Most indys do a basic annual inspection before even a minor or major. You could do this then do the rest of the big service yourself. 

What he said, I have my car serviced and MOT'd early April every year, my indy told me not to service it this year as I was over servicing it!, I've done a lot of work to it in the last 4 + years, it only does around 4k a year so we are not even changing the oil this time round.

Get the indy to give you bite sized chunks of work, stuff that needs doing right now, non-urgent stuff etc, history is important so I would do it this way, you won't be paying £800 thats for sure.

I'd do it all myself and buy a stamp for the service history and keep all the receipts for the materials you've bought and keep them stapled together with the service booklet. You won't lose £800 on a 12 year old car, as it will still have a full service history if you record it in the book and keep receipts.

£12k seems about right for a private sale if it's got a decent spec as the mileage is relatively low. Dealer will probably offer £10k

Previous owner serviced it like clockwork every 2 years, and did about 4-5k miles a year, garaged but only essential items, I.e. brakes he’d ignore the rust mot warnings on the inside discs an exhaust flange...

First thing I did was replace the rear discs and pads, oil and filter and the infamous exhaust flange (rusted 3 studs), plus cleaned out the rads and put on zunsport guards. Actually in pretty good nic, except service warning light - is there a cheap device to reset. Seems ibus 2.0 but at 150 seems pricey to turn a light off...

My indie (slough) doesn’t offer an inspection, just fixed price servicing, which for me I can do the servicing bits quite easily it’s the other bits I need advice... 

anyone changed gear box oil on a 987, book says it’s a 120k mileage or 12 years, I’ve reached the 12 years but only half that mileage, looks a pain in the butt to change so will only change if essential, or pass to the indie.

I just had a look on the interweb and it doesn't look too difficult to due, just like a gearbox oil change on a normal car once you get the bracing out of the way, only thing is looks like you need a special '16mm triple square' to get the drain plug out of the 5 speed which I assume yours being a 'S' doesn't apply to you.

As said above I'd be tempted to do all my own maintenance and keep a record (receipts etc), you are not going to lose £800 on a car just because it's not been serviced by a Porsche apprentice if you can prove it's been done by yourself...probably to a higher standard.

Rog.

Gearbox is 6 so hopefully standard allen/torx keys. Oil change, think I'm put off by the accessibility as only got ramps & axle stands - no lift. so lots of crawling around on my back... maybe I'll make that the last job.

Meant to say I've seen the icarsoft II for resetting the oil service light - £130 on fleabay, is that best way to reset the light? and is it limited to porsche only? be useful to use on my wife's landrover disco.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-SCANNER-TOOL-AIRBAG-SRS-ABS-CODE-READER-OIL-RESET-iCarsoft-PORII-i960/322556225980?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or am I better off with a European one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-iCarsoft-EU-PRO-Multi-System-Diagnostic-Tool-ALL-European-Vehicles-DPF/112149780867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Maybe try EPorsche in Bisley - Not too far from Slough. I had most of that done on mine except for the gearbox oil and they said not to bother with the water pump. I think they have some of the prices on their website and they are quite reasonable. They really know their stuff and are really quick at getting things done. So far in the last couple of years and about 16k (now 112k) they missed nothing. Even though I do a fair bit myself I still take it in once a year for an MOT and peace of mind.

54 minutes ago, Buzzlt said:

Maybe try EPorsche in Bisley - Not too far from Slough. I had most of that done on mine except for the gearbox oil and they said not to bother with the water pump. I think they have some of the prices on their website and they are quite reasonable. They really know their stuff and are really quick at getting things done. So far in the last couple of years and about 16k (now 112k) they missed nothing. Even though I do a fair bit myself I still take it in once a year for an MOT and peace of mind.

I used to use eporsch when I live in Guildford. Good outfit!

Gear box oil straightforward to save taking the under sheild off I drilled a 30 mm below the drain, and fitted a grommet after, ensure you undo the filler first ( on the side of the diff housing) as these can be notoriously tight. To refill I used some clear 20 mm pvc pipe so that I could fill outboard and higher than the filling point

, a

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

Gear box oil straightforward to save taking the under sheild off I drilled a 30 mm below the drain, and fitted a grommet after, ensure you undo the filler first ( on the side of the diff housing) as these can be notoriously tight. To refill I used some clear 20 mm pvc pipe so that I could fill outboard and higher than the filling point

Now thats a good idea, the shield looks like its aluminium so I guess its easy to drill.

Rog.

On 3/13/2019 at 6:21 PM, Chuckie66 said:

Gearbox is 6 so hopefully standard allen/torx keys. Oil change, think I'm put off by the accessibility as only got ramps & axle stands - no lift. so lots of crawling around on my back... maybe I'll make that the last job.

Meant to say I've seen the icarsoft II for resetting the oil service light - £130 on fleabay, is that best way to reset the light? and is it limited to porsche only? be useful to use on my wife's landrover disco.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-SCANNER-TOOL-AIRBAG-SRS-ABS-CODE-READER-OIL-RESET-iCarsoft-PORII-i960/322556225980?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or am I better off with a European one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-iCarsoft-EU-PRO-Multi-System-Diagnostic-Tool-ALL-European-Vehicles-DPF/112149780867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I think you can also reset it as follows.. 

1. Turn ignition switch to ON position without starting the engine

2. Press the INFO and RESET buttons on the DIC at the same time to enter the personalisation menu

3. Press the INFO button to scroll through the menus until you see Oil-Life Reset

4. Press and hold the RESET button until you see Acknowledged displayed

5. Turn the key to the OFF position and back on to confirm reset successful

I took the above info from an app I downloaded called Pro Reset Oil Service. 

3 hours ago, Roger C said:

Now thats a good idea, the shield looks like its aluminium so I guess its easy to drill.

Rog.

Rog will send you the measurements where to drill tomorrow 

Mick

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Mick

That would be useful, 30MM would need a pilot hole or two?  is there much space behind the shield ( ie.e. wanna avoid the drill follow through....)

5 hours ago, The Caped Crusader said:

I think you can also reset it as follows.. 

1. Turn ignition switch to ON position without starting the engine

2. Press the INFO and RESET buttons on the DIC at the same time to enter the personalisation menu

3. Press the INFO button to scroll through the menus until you see Oil-Life Reset

4. Press and hold the RESET button until you see Acknowledged displayed

5. Turn the key to the OFF position and back on to confirm reset successful

I took the above info from an app I downloaded called Pro Reset Oil Service. 

step 2 seems impossible, don't know if anyone else can confirm the procedure as working?

1 hour ago, Chuckie66 said:

That would be useful, 30MM would need a pilot hole or two?  is there much space behind the shield ( ie.e. wanna avoid the drill follow through....)

Nah, use a hole cutter plenty of space behind there is a central drain hole but can’t remember if standing at the back of the car if it’s left or right and about 20 mm from the central hole as mentioned, will confirm 

Mick

22 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Mick

Rog 20 mm to the left of centre drain and drill 30 mm hole viewing from the back

Mick

Archived