What now? (Apart from 'Just drive it!')

Chipps

I've had my 2004 Boxster S for nearly two years now. It was in decent nick when I got it and only needed a few bits and pieces (and Revolution in Brighouse have been great) but it's not had any real issues. It's a third-owner car, on 60K miles, now has new Bridgestone Potenzas, four wheel alignment and has been serviced recently. It has a decent interior and I've had an exhaust bypass by Revolution (makes me smile every time I fire it up...) and I've recently had a short-shift kit fitted too. All pretty undramatic little mods and the car is fantastic. I had a one-to-one afternoon at Porsche Silverstone recently and that was my first time at really pushing it on closed roads. It was brilliant!

So... I think that I've done enough to it. Are there any (reasonably reversible) things I need to do to it? The car is on its second clutch, but there's no record of an IMS replacement. It's on stock 18in wheels (that need a tiny bit of refurbing) and everything works as it should. The hood doesn't always sit well in the channels on the driver's side, but apparently the cable is seized in the hood, so can't be replaced, so I'll leave it until it goes pop.

Is that it then? Drive it and enjoy? I have another car for practical purposes, so this is just for me for fun... 

IMG_9021.jpg

IMG_8229.jpg

As you say , drive and enjoy, no point doing things to the car just for the sake if it is there 🙂

You know how the temptation to tinker takes you... 🙂

I've been happy with (obviously) the service and safety upgrades - the tyres, the suspension, the servicing. But I've also been happy with the exhaust bypass (very happy!) and the short shift is good too. As long as I'm not missing any other quick-wins, I'm happy to just drive 🙂

I've had mine over 8 years now, it's been a great car.  Nothing much in the way of problems in all that time and had Revolution replaced the IMS bearing, like tinkering with it but it is there after all to drive not constantly fix so enjoy having a sorted car.

Every now and then, I look at 981's and 718's as well as 911's.  I bought a new iphone XS recently after many years of an iphone 6, sure it had some new features, bigger screen etc however it seemed like a load of money for the same.  That's how I feel about the Boxster, it's not the fastest or have all the toys but does that matter when you're hammering down a country road, exhaust howling with the roof down? 

Think I'll keep it another year (at least).

^^^^^^ As above, exactly how I feel about mine.

Get out there and join as many meets as you can and enjoy it. Pound for pound there's not much out there to compare to a well sorted 986.

One other little mod you might consider, and easily reversible, is either a Robotop or Pedro's mod relay so that you can lower or raise the roof while on the move. Very convenient for when it starts raining and you can't or don't want to pull over and stop the car. 

Have fun!

+1 to all those who say JFDI (Just Fluffywell Drive It)

If you want to tinker go buy a Ricer Special and go Max Power on it :P

IMHO a well sorted pretty much 'as out of the box' car is the desirable one.

Also use the money saved to make Run Out days into a weekend away stay in a nice B&B. Use the cash to enjoy the car... :thumbsup_anim:

PS, very nice and shiny, looks well loved..!

Get the geo set up by an expert. I use Center Gravity but they are Midland based so may be too far from you.

I've had my last 4 sports cars set up by them and each of them drove a lot better after.  

Will not overall improve your experience, but in your position. To save you looking for more modern examples I would:

Replace interior lights for white LED’s

Replace side & rear indicator bulbs with chrome coated ones (gets rid of the amber) you can also do the front, but it’s effort as you’ve got to remove an inner amber lense also.

De-snorkle, this is a little tube inside the intake vent for flow to the airbox, but it’s slightly restrictive and dampens the intake sound. (no bhp gains) but gives some extra roof down noise.

Fit the 1-touch roof relay (also gives opening on the move at low speeds and you dont have to hold the switch).

Colour crested centre caps.

Otherwise just drive the pants off it and enjoy it

22 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Get the geo set up by an expert. I use Center Gravity but they are Midland based so may be too far from you.

I've had my last 4 sports cars set up by them and each of them drove a lot better after.  

Now that is a very good shout. I've just looked CG up and they are only an hour away... Going to book myself in.

19 minutes ago, John K said:

Now that is a very good shout. I've just looked CG up and they are only an hour away... Going to book myself in.

They are almost alchemists John, the way they change a cars handling by small adjustments. I couldn't recommend them too highly, they have done my; 981S,981 Spyder, 991.2 GTS and now my 981 GTS. All cars handling, and driving, a lot better.   

You’ve got the best looking wheels on a 986 that you can get there in my opinion) and one of the easiest to clean so I wouldn’t change those.

As someone who’s having some suspension work done, if you don’t have it the M030 sports suspension kit still seems like a steal at £1200 (considering it includes new dampers, new springs, anti roll bars)

9 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

They are almost alchemists John, the way they change a cars handling by small adjustments. I couldn't recommend them too highly, they have done my; 981S,981 Spyder, 991.2 GTS and now my 981 GTS. All cars handling, and driving, a lot better.   

pm if required but I'd love to know roughly how much? and if bits are broken do they stop or still charge full amount. [Yes I figure I should give them a ring]

and to answer OP - just drive the thing...it sis as much about the experience. Perhaps a new HU if not already swapped?

25 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

pm if required but I'd love to know roughly how much? and if bits are broken do they stop or still charge full amount. [Yes I figure I should give them a ring]

and to answer OP - just drive the thing...it sis as much about the experience. Perhaps a new HU if not already swapped?

£350 for the half day session setting up the car. I'm not sure about what they do if they find something wrong and cannot complete the work but they are genuine, helpful people so I would imagine there is some sort of compromise. They road test the car first, with you in it, and knowing how knowledgeable they are I suspect they would detect if things not right then .

I'm not on a commission by the way, just want to pass on excellent service when I experience it

9 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

I've had mine over 8 years now, it's been a great car.  Nothing much in the way of problems in all that time and had Revolution replaced the IMS bearing, like tinkering with it but it is there after all to drive not constantly fix so enjoy having a sorted car.

Every now and then, I look at 981's and 718's as well as 911's.  I bought a new iphone XS recently after many years of an iphone 6, sure it had some new features, bigger screen etc however it seemed like a load of money for the same.  That's how I feel about the Boxster, it's not the fastest or have all the toys but does that matter when you're hammering down a country road, exhaust howling with the roof down? 

Think I'll keep it another year (at least).

Had mine 3 years, was thinking about selling but as so well sorted decided to keep for at least another 3 and just drive it. 

Archived