Magnetic sump plug, worth it??

Roger C

2 hours ago, in_dellible said:

To my mind any significant metallic debris will be present in the filter and the waste oil when changed. So inspection of those should suffice. Also, how strong does a magnet have to be to pull small metallic fragments through oil? 

The Boxster filter doesn't filter 100% of the oil. 

So IMHO every little helps. 

Mine was supplied by Revolution IIRC. 

I have just fitted one at 93000 miles. I cut the filter open and did find about 4  shiny specs. The old oil appeared normal, so we will see at the next oil change if the magnetic drain plug has removed anything. I chose a Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug which I bought from Motorsport Developments in Blackpool.

I thought the idea of the magnet was to help you see an issue rather then grab metal from the oil.  

I would say a good quality one is worth having but I have read of folks using eBay cheap ones that rounded off when it came to pulling it to change the oil. 

15 hours ago, in_dellible said:

If @EXY and @Menoporsche say it's worthwhile I'd be inclined to agree, they've got the experience that I don't. 

Checking the filter is also a great suggestion. And that doesn't cost much at all. 

Magnetic sump plugs usually come out well furred up but it's when they have lumps of gearing stuck to them you really start to worry. Had this with a Mini Metro a while back :(

I’ve got one of the LN magnetic sump plugs fitted to mine, at last oil change there was no metal swarf on it at all thankfully.

Due another oil change soon so will check it again along with the filter, I always have to make a mental note to remind the OPC of the torque for the plug as it’s a lot less than a standard sump plug & that’s when problems with rounded off heads occur.

I think for the relative cost it’s a no brainer.

Archived