987 Key

Steffydog

My 2006 987 came with 1 remote fob key, and 1 skeleton type black plastic key.  

Obviously i’m concerned about losing the one real key I have, so I bought from fleabay 2x Caymen 987 key fobs from a salvage car.

So, my question is, can I just get a new blade cut and have the transponder/fog reprogrammed to operate my car?

My local OPC want £400 to supply a new fob, blade and programming. 

On 5/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, Steffydog said:

My 2006 987 came with 1 remote fob key, and 1 skeleton type black plastic key.  

Obviously i’m concerned about losing the one real key I have, so I bought from fleabay 2x Caymen 987 key fobs from a salvage car.

So, my question is, can I just get a new blade cut and have the transponder/fog reprogrammed to operate my car?

My local OPC want £400 to supply a new fob, blade and programming. 

Porsche Guildford Quoted me £286 inc VAT to code a new key head to my 987.1....thankfully I found the old key head and didnt have to pay out....the actual key blade is nothing special if you want one I think I have one here uncut any locksmith could cut it based on the originals you have 

I have mine covered through a company called Key Care, it costs me £27-99 a year. Lost one of my Alfa keys and got a new one ordered and programmed, total cost was £550! Cheque arrived for the full amount the day after I emailed the invoices to them.

Highly recommend them, no quibbles, didnt ask about the circs of how I lost it or anything.

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

I have mine covered through a company called Key Care, it costs me £27-99 a year. Lost one of my Alfa keys and got a new one ordered and programmed, total cost was £550! Cheque arrived for the full amount the day after I emailed the invoices to them.

Highly recommend them, no quibbles, didnt ask about the circs of how I lost it or anything.

They get decent reviews...

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/keycare.co.uk

Interesting... I might check what my insurance company cover and if a claim would affect my no claims discount - for less than £30 a year this outfit look like they are worth considering 🤔

Just checked.  The costs are per keyfob protecting a set of keys...

https://www.keycare.co.uk/Products

They cover whatever is lost on your key ring... house keys, car keys and gaining entry to the vehicle. You can choose up to £1500 cover for a little more, but as I knew my most expensive one was £550 I went for the cheaper service.

I know some insurance companies bumdle it in with your premium, I bought it stand alone.

Thank you for the above, so far I have contacted my nearest 7 Porsche Centres, as they are all with an hour of home. 

The price to supply a new fob, blade and programming varies between £450 and £360 Still seems a lot for a key 😟

Insurance seems a good bet, but I can’t fraudulently claim, so that’s out, obviously. 

Might try and get the blade cut and see what happens there. 

Agree not cheap. But not unusual.  

Had to replace a lost key on the daily driver Toyota about 8 years ago. Seem to remember that was about £300 back then. 

Anything with a remote and an immobiliser chip is going to be there or thereabouts from a dealer surely. 

On 5/28/2019 at 8:45 PM, Bike Loon said:

I also have Key Care and when I lost a key fob earlier this year I called them Monday morning, ordered a new one from OPC Monday afternoon, had it programmed Thursday and was reimbursed with a cheque for £421 by Saturday morning, great service very supportive with an easy process. I think my cost was only £10 for the year, I’ve had the cover for the past 3 years, previously on my Alfa, before the Boxster. Highly recommended for peace if mind. 

5 minutes ago, Remodot said:

I also have Key Care and when I lost a key fob earlier this year I called them Monday morning, ordered a new one from OPC Monday afternoon, had it programmed Thursday and was reimbursed with a cheque for £421 by Saturday morning, great service very supportive with an easy process. I think my cost was only £10 for the year, I’ve had the cover for the past 3 years, previously on my Alfa, before the Boxster. Highly recommended for peace if mind. 

Great!  How did you manage £10 cover!?

I was offered it when I took out insurance with Halifax, might be a first year with them I sent I’ve, I didn’t ask.

I think I will take this out at £27 as I have only got one fob working...... three keys though!

I can't see any other companies offering stand alone car key insurance at all which I thought was a little strange.

Just wondering if they do to prevent you gaming the system since it seems a good setup.  I can imagine lose key on Monday. Take out insurance Wednesday. Claim Friday.....  

I guess its the cynic in me always looking for the small print but cost of insurance vs cost of key makes  them open to abuse 

Not cynical at all , I am with you, it must happen.....

21 hours ago, Paul P said:

Is there a “static” period?  Do you have to have the insurance for 90 days or similar before you can claim.? 

It takes a few days for the fob that you need to attach to your keys for the cover to be valid to arrive. I would hazzard a guess that if you tried to claim a couple of days after taking the cover out or if you have a recent history of a lot of insurance type claims, they would look a bit closer at the circs. When I lost me Alfa key I was mid way through the year and there was no issues getting it sorted at all.

I've only got the one key for my 987. I can't decide whether insurance with key care or getting another one made and coded is the way to go. Both cost the same over the course of the year. Annoyingly key care have just put their prices up. 

5 hours ago, in_dellible said:

I've only got the one key for my 987. I can't decide whether insurance with key care or getting another one made and coded is the way to go. Both cost the same over the course of the year. Annoyingly key care have just put their prices up. 

Key Care is £27 for a key up to £1000 for the year, how is this the same cost as getting a replacement key?

https://www.keycare.co.uk/Products

If you take the Keycare policy out through cover4insurance.com you get the £1500 cover for just £17.50 !  Bargain !  :bana: 

Archived