987 Gen2, same 987 problems

Porschemad

4 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

Seems odd all the coolant pipes corroded.

I think Duffy complained about this when rebuilding his 987.1, said they were worse than the 986. So I'd agree, odd this is still the case for the next version of a car 7 years later.

Mine's 10 years old now, wonder if my own circumstances (low miles, dry miles, no salt on roads) would still lead to that.  Have to ask my indie to check next time.

Unfortunately these car are money pits in my experience. 

Having owned a few, most eat brakes and suspension components in short order. Then there's the rads, hoses, plus plenty of brackets, bolts, fixings corrode quickly in UK. 

You pay a higher buying price for the badge, design(ims, rms and engine's aside) and performance, not quality of the materials which are used to build the car. 

Does anyone feel there is any truth in the suggestion the the cars built in Finland are to be regarded less favourably than those built in Germany? Just something I read on another forum, not personal experience ( mine's Finnish ), but I do have personal experience generally of Finland and it's approach to most things is superior to many other cultures, so I found the observation a little odd. I can't see why building a Porsche would present them with any particular difficulty, or why models from there would be sub-standard.

Were any 987s built in Germany? Or were the all Finnish? 

I actually heard the contrary, that Finnish 986s were allegedly better built than the German ones! 

8 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Were any 987s built in Germany? Or were the all Finnish? 

I actually heard the contrary, that Finnish 986s were allegedly better built than the German ones! 

My 2008 987 was built in Germany. 

My 2010 2.9 was built in Germany. I also had to have 3 new coolant pipes and 5 hoses earlier this year together with rear coffin arms at 38500 miles. Front brake discs were changed due to corrosion on the inside at 37000. I’ve had no other issues in 3 years of ownership, so I guess I’ve been luckier than some.

None of that is unusual.  Gear cables should be no more than £300 to sort.  Coolant pipes corrosion very common.  Brake disc corrosion common. Starters aren't a weak point but there you go, things fail.

Ive had a few of these cars, when they get older sometimes you have a year when you spend £2000 or more on maintenance it's just how it is

Still worth it IMO.  I have a runabout convertible Smart car that cost £8000 which is 987 money.  You wouldn't want that small economical runabout as your only car

Honestly the issue is your expectations that you can run a 10 year old Porsche without it needing any maintenance doing!

25 minutes ago, perleman said:

Honestly the issue is your expectations that you can run a 10 year old Porsche without it needing any maintenance doing!

That's harsh. No ones said anything like that. 

However the start of the thread suggests that all 987’s have these inherent issues and as people have pointed out, that’s not the case. Some cars will require more maintenance than others, even if they are the same model due to driving style, conditions, storage, usage, etc, etc, etc - so many different factors - everyone is different so I personally think it’s wrong of the OP to suggest that all 987’s will have these issues.

there will always be that Friday afternoon car that appears to have more problems than anything else but you can get that in any model or manufacturer. I was seriously looking at buying a used 2004/05 Bentley Gt before getting my box and the maintenance costs of those make running the Boxster look like a budget option

51 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

However the start of the thread suggests that all 987’s have these inherent issues and as people have pointed out, that’s not the case. 

No ones said anything like that either..lol

4 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

No ones said anything like that either..lol

Lol - Might want to read it again - “While the engine has proved itself to be excellent, it’s interesting to note that none of the other 987 weaknesses seemed to have been ironed out.”

7 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Lol - Might want to read it again - “While the engine has proved itself to be excellent, it’s interesting to note that none of the other 987 weaknesses seemed to have been ironed out.”

The rad pipe corrosion and gear cables snapping on the 987 is a weakness. 

That doesn't suggest or mean that all cars will develop the problem though does it ? 

I'm of the opinion that if a car manufacturer wants to be taken seriously as a premium brand, it not only has to offer a more rewarding driving experience than most, it also has to be more reliable than marques of perceived lesser quality. I can't criticise the Porsche for the former, but they've had long enough in this game to get the fundamentals right reliability wise, and I don't really think that's been achieved. They're trading on the badge in part, and they're not the only German manufacturer to be doing so.

Lexus didn't enter the fray until 1989, and knocked every other manufacturer out of the park with the first model they released. It shows what's possible if you're really bothered about public perception. I processed warranty claims for a Lexus main dealer for several years, easiest job I'll ever have. Feet up for 8 hours a day. That was 25 years ago, why aren't we seeing that as the norm now?

9 hours ago, moneypit said:

I'm of the opinion that if a car manufacturer wants to be taken seriously as a premium brand, it not only has to offer a more rewarding driving experience than most, it also has to be more reliable than marques of perceived lesser quality. 

A fair opinion but not a common one; no-one would describe Ferrari, Lamborghini or Aston Martin as anything other than premium, and no one would describe them as particularly reliable either!

totally agree that many Germans are trading on the badge now. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

A fair opinion but not a common one; no-one would describe Ferrari, Lamborghini or Aston Martin as anything other than premium, and no one would describe them as particularly reliable either!

totally agree that many Germans are trading on the badge now. 

I'm possibly a little unusual in that things like Ferraris, Lambos and Astons don't generally impress me for various reasons. Don't get me wrong, I understand why people have them, and I love to see them being used. The world's a better place for their existence, if only because it allows those of us who won't own one to at least benefit from the sight of them.

But if I were in the supercar market again, I'd be considering something like a new Honda NSX. Credit where it's due, we've had a couple of R8's in the past, and I'd have another. I thought they were great cars. Perhaps not regarded as real high end exotica, but not as temperamental. There's nothing exotic or premium about being stuck on the hard shoulder at 3 am!

Sadly, out of the vehicles I currently own, I suspect my Porsche will be the one most likely to present me with that scenario! I'm just a bit cynical about why I feel I have to think like that.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:42 PM, entdgc said:

Thanks - will dig out the paperwork now!

Or just look at the VIN sticker in the door jamb, or the plate on the passenger side of the windscreen.

Archived