986 cockpit and clam cover

Jason986S

I’m sure these have a proper name in the classic car world, but I’ve never seen one on a 986! Have you?

This photo popped up on the Boxster Outlaw’s Instagram page (assume it’s an American car).

Yes, tonneau cover, had one on my Spitfire where it was useful in the summer if you left the car outdoors. Saves the need to open close the roof which was a bit awkward. Mine had a zip between passenger and driver so you could just undo one side and drive the car.

Can't see the point on the Boxster where it would take longer to fit than raising the roof. Useful if you had speedster humps fitted, but doesn't appear to be the case in the photo.

I've never seen one in real life on a Boxster, but they were in the Tequipment brochure up to at least 2002: "Tonneau cover. Protect the interior of your Boxster against dust, dirt and rain. Features classic Tenax fasteners on dashboard and doors, as well as multiple attachment points behind the hood storage box"  So presumably you had to screw the fasteners into your interior (leather) trim on the dash and doors :o. In the 1996 brochure, there also appear to be Tenax fasteners around the back as well, which would have needed to be screwed into the clamshell! (They're not shown in the above photo or the 2002 brochure, so perhaps they changed the design later.)

Hard to believe they sold any in this country - it would be quicker to put up the roof on a Spyder :D I guess they were more of California retro-poseur thing.

I was intrigued by the tonneau cover until I realised the high backed seats would be an issue even when folded forward. I can't see how they would drop below the tonneau level.  Didn't like the idea of the tenax fasteners everywhere either.

A few details and pictures of the installation can be found in the link below:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/66393-tonneau-cover-installed.html

Looks like there are a few fixings to drill into the bodywork and dashboard.

8 hours ago, the baron said:

I can only see its real purpose being fitted and driving in the rain maybe, otherwise a bit chocolate teapot.

I really can’t see the point on a Boxster either. Daft mod on our cars.

Here's the derivation if anyone's interested:

A tonneau was originally an open rear passenger compartment, rounded like a barrel, on an automobile and, by extension, a body style incorporating such a compartment. The word is French, meaning 'cask' or barrel.

Looking at that link it actually involves drilling holes in the body and leather dash top, who would do that, so its irreversible, with spending a fortune on filling and respraying the affected panels

Has to be the worst and most useless accessory ever

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 9:45 AM, red rocket said:

Here's the derivation if anyone's interested:

A tonneau was originally an open rear passenger compartment, rounded like a barrel, on an automobile and, by extension, a body style incorporating such a compartment. The word is French, meaning 'cask' or barrel.

Yes, I was going to look it up but you beat me to it, thanks Peter 👍

Archived